Thread: Infraction discussion

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Is that too much to ask ?
    Dude, you're one of my favourite posters, one of I'd say about five I've interacted on PM with in nearly twenty years of being on here, but this kind of hippy talk will just get us all killed.

The rhetoric on one side of this has always been open, flexible, willing to reevaluate, hopeful and decent towards a guy in a tough job.

Across no mans land you have a crew who exhibit none of the above, they just want to have been right and will throw any rock to achieve that. The performance last week is highlighting the collective lesser aspects of their character.

You never see them on the underage threads for example
    They never overall contribute here & never really have.
    Maybe we should go easy on them as they were probably raised in the theatre of Delaneys, Spin The Wheel variant of national association governance and they just don't understand that football in Ireland is aiming to build something worthy of these times & no longer spinning the wheel hoping for a lucky dip managerial interlude.
    They just want their excitement of seeing if the little ball will stop on the 250k

& you know full well among them are several who if tasked with hiring an Ireland manager tomorrow would go get Tony Pulis because Allardyce & Dyche wouldn't be Charltonista enough.

I take your point, it needs to dial down but its not a six & two threes here. These muppets have only thrown rocks because that's all they have & the adults in the room would like to have a discussion and are having the discussions elsewhere because these lads seem incapable of being house trained.

So footdot flung a few and I'm absolutely good with that. The site needed to and needs to continue to in self preservation if nothing more.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

2. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    It's actually hilarious that this forum is dominated by Kennyites. Most of the Kenny discussion is started by them, the majority of the over the top, childish, comments come from them, yet they are throwing a massive hissy fit because a couple of posters dare think that Kenny is not a good manager. The constant moaning and the reporting of posts have got two posters suspended but the aim is to have them banned. It really is pathetic carry on but you just have to laugh at the behaviour of grown adults.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Can I just add that this 'You have 24 hours to answer the question' moderation is just dreadful in my opinion.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Can I just add that this 'You have 24 hours to answer the question' moderation is just dreadful in my opinion.
    I think its fair enough to hold people to account when they come out with drivel... Its not Twitter, your opinions should be fact checked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    It's only used as a last resort. Posters who engage on the forum usually don't have to be forced to respond.
    Anyone who makes broad, ill-informed, antagonistic posts and refuses to elaborate needs to be forced to respond.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Disagree. Only seen it used to deal with nonsense ongoing which to be fair to mods is posted a way which is difficult to deal with. Only seen it used to protect the greater good of the debate also.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It's only used as a last resort. Posters who engage on the forum usually don't have to be forced to respond.
    Anyone who makes broad, ill-informed, antagonistic posts and refuses to elaborate needs to be forced to respond.
    I did a quick search and went back through your '24 hours' posts....maybe 15 or so since 2019.

The fact that not one of them is directed at mypost, who has posted more ill-formed, antagonistic, non-engaging posts than anybody else on this site (in its entire history I'd guess) tells me that it's not 'anyone.'

Some posters are dicks, I get it. But just take action against them for being dicks. Not by selectively enforcing something so they get a run of infractions against them while others don't for doing the same thing.
    Last edited by osarusan; 03/04/2023 at 9:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    mypost gets reported a lot less than you might think.
    Probably why I haven't had to do it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    You moderation powers aren't limited to when posts are reported, nor are you obliged to act when posts are reported.

So it doesn't explain it.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    It's actually hilarious that this forum is dominated by Kennyites. Most of the Kenny discussion is started by them, the majority of the over the top, childish, comments come from them, yet they are throwing a massive hissy fit because a couple of posters dare think that Kenny is not a good manager. The constant moaning and the reporting of posts have got two posters suspended but the aim is to have them banned. It really is pathetic carry on but you just have to laugh at the behaviour of grown adults.
    Well, given that my post on the previous page started some of this, where would you put me on the Kenny spectrum? Am I one of your precious Kennyites?* As to the forum being dominated by Kennyites, I don’t recall many of your posts in the various League of Ireland, current affairs or off topic forums. You might be surprised how little Kenny features in discussions on films and box sets, the tribulations of Enoch Burke, or US politics.

What I was calling out, reasonably politely, was the churlish, puerile nonsense that has begun to infest this site, on both sides of the Kenny polemic – clearly, it’s not a debate if bloody-minded intransigence is the default permanent setting – that offers up a far lesser standard of good conduct and honest contribution than many longstanding posters here are familiar with, expect and much prefer.

It’s quite telling that you only see your side being pointed at in that regard.

But, of course, the narrative of victimisation and persecution evident from some recent posters here neatly maintains the self-deception that everybody else is out of step, and only the true believers have been granted enlightenment. At such times, more’s the pity, Aristotle’s golden mean seems insurmountably distant. But that give and take, that honest attempt to find the middle ground in debate, was the hallmark of so many posters here over the years – the still mourned eirebhoy (RIP), Thischarmingman, Bonnieshels, Magicme, Spudulika, and so many others. Newer posters could do far worse than look to those old posts to understand where this forum gets its distinctive voice.

At the end of the day, I really don’t care whether Kenny is a god or a demon: he’s just one man doing a job where getting fired is virtually guaranteed. In a perverse way, I’d be happy if he was sacked in the morning if it meant he took some of our more insufferably dogmatic posters with him.

*Rhetorical question: you don’t need to go checking through my posts. I’m entirely unconcerned what you think of me.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Well, given that my post on the previous page started some of this, where would you put me on the Kenny spectrum? Am I one of your precious Kennyites?* As to the forum being dominated by Kennyites, I don’t recall many of your posts in the various League of Ireland, current affairs or off topic forums. You might be surprised how little Kenny features in discussions on films and box sets, the tribulations of Enoch Burke, or US politics.

What I was calling out, reasonably politely, was the churlish, puerile nonsense that has begun to infest this site, on both sides of the Kenny polemic – clearly, it’s not a debate if bloody-minded intransigence is the default permanent setting – that offers up a far lesser standard of good conduct and honest contribution than many longstanding posters here are familiar with, expect and much prefer.

But, of course, the narrative of victimisation and persecution evident from some recent posters here neatly maintains the self-deception that everybody else is out of step, and only the true believers have been granted enlightenment. At such times, more’s the pity, Aristotle’s golden mean seems insurmountably distant. But that give and take, that honest attempt to find the middle ground in debate, was the hallmark of so many posters here over the years – the still mourned eirebhoy (RIP), Thischarmingman, Bonnieshels, Magicme, Spudulika, and so many others. Newer posters could do far worse than look to those old posts to understand where this forum gets its distinctive voice.

At the end of the day, I really don’t care whether Kenny is a god or a demon: he’s just one man doing a job where getting fired is virtually guaranteed. In a perverse way, I’d be happy if he was sacked in the morning if it meant he took some of our more insufferably dogmatic posters with him.

*Rhetorical question: you don’t need to go checking through my posts. I’m entirely unconcerned what you think of me.
    Im pretty sure ive got a hard on right now. And no, it wasn't the mention of magicme. (*pssst it was BonnieShels)
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Eeeuwww. TMI, Kingdom - how am I supposed to sleep with that image popping up every time I close my eyes?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    You moderation powers aren't limited to when posts are reported, nor are you obliged to act when posts are reported.

So it doesn't explain it.
    And I've had him on my ignore list for years, so outside of his reported posts, I miss about 80% of what he posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Same.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Think having posters on your ignore list was frowned on when I was a mod back in the day for that reason, but certainly for the rest of us, the ignore list is a great and underused option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    You were asked to provide clarification and ignored it.

You've a long history of appearing on the forum around the time of internationals, stirring up needless arguments and disappearing until the next international window.
    Other posters are given more leeway because they engage.
    I've a history in engaging in an International forum, around the time of International games?? Hold the presses!! There is generally nothing going on in the Irish forum when there are no games. Making up blatant lies and them being allowed to stand is leeway?? This is what people mean when they talk about cliques. One poster can post a lie, another calls him out on it, and gets an infraction. If you think that is fair moderation, then there is nothing more to say. It's the equivalent of saying it's my ball and only my friends can play.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Good diversity, informative reads, gutsy exchanges and well-informed mods. Apart from the occasional split infinitive, this forum has never been better.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    I've a history in engaging in an International forum, around the time of International games?? Hold the presses!! There is generally nothing going on in the Irish forum when there are no games.
    There's quite a bit of discussion outside of international windows, on player performances, transfer rumours, and so on.

Making up blatant lies and them being allowed to stand is leeway??
    There's a difference between a lie and a mistake. People get called out for making mistakes all the time.

This is what people mean when they talk about cliques. One poster can post a lie, another calls him out on it, and gets an infraction. If you think that is fair moderation, then there is nothing more to say. It's the equivalent of saying it's my ball and only my friends can play.
    Infractions are discussed by the mods before being awarded, and even after. Infractions have been removed.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

I actually don't think I've read many if any of your posts or recognise your username. So I've no idea who you are or any of your views. So don't worry, I won't waste my time looking up any of your irrelevant posts.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I think this is the big issue. It seems like the majority picking up warnings and infractions are those who don't rate Kenny's reign. Obviously pro Kenny supporters are reporting posts and annoying mods more so they have to take action. In my view that's a poor reflection on whoever is reporting posts and bad form really. If you don't like posters then put them on ignore, don't be hassling mods who I assume aren't paid and don't need that hassle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast