First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    449 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Lee Carsley
    Stephen Reid

There's 2 potential, realistic replacements with suitable experience.
    Reid is not a realistic replacement as he's stepped away from coaching to focus on the mental health side of mentoring players.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Reid is not a realistic replacement as he's stepped away from coaching to focus on the mental health side of mentoring players.
    He stepped away from a full-time role as an assistant manager in the Premier League with Forest. Managing an international side is clearly less work and would probably fit around his studies. Worth sounding him out

Carsley could definitely do it. And it would be a good step up from England U21s
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    He stepped away from a full-time role as an assistant manager in the Premier League with Forest. Managing an international side is clearly less work and would probably fit around his studies. Worth sounding him out

Carsley could definitely do it. And it would be a good step up from England U21s
    you don't think managing an international team is a full-time job?

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    So, proposing a manager to be sacked without knowing the options/circumstances is acceptable, but proposing potential replacements is a nonsense?
    You set a tangible target of what a manager should be achieving and take a view based on what the manager actually achieves. It's the only way to take a fair view.

Bringing other managers or possible managers into it doesn't help - someone might be available today or not in six months time. Someone might be good but unaffordable. Someone might be gettable but we don't realise they are.

We should be judging the current manager based on how well he does with the team, not based on whether any other manager might or might not be interested or available.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    You set a tangible target of what a manager should be achieving and take a view based on what the manager actually achieves. It's the only way to take a fair view.

Bringing other managers or possible managers into it doesn't help - someone might be available today or not in six months time. Someone might be good but unaffordable. Someone might be gettable but we don't realise they are.

We should be judging the current manager based on how well he does with the team, not based on whether any other manager might or might not be interested or available.
    it's both - you look at the manager's performance in isolation and think if he should stay, then you think who could replace him and let it inform your decision. sacking a manager without any regard for who is available is exactly how Crystal Palace end up sacking Patrick Viera and bringing back Roy Hodgson.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    864 Posts
    Lee Carsley
    Stephen Reid

There's 2 potential, realistic replacements with suitable experience.
    Stephen Kenny has more managerial experience than both of them put together.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    So, proposing a manager to be sacked without knowing the options/circumstances is acceptable, but proposing potential replacements is a nonsense?
    Its an absolutely ridiculous proposition what you are saying and its a fairly nefarious thing to try and do it. Do you think organisations(for any type of management position) of any kind don't get rid of people because they are underperforming? Absolutely ridiculous , in any/all industry they do. Sport is no different. Happens all the time in football too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Stephen Kenny has more managerial experience than both of them put together.
    It's a great point Razor. Hard to categorize both of those names as anything other than high-potential.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think Parrott would be the least effective beside Ferguson and think that the pace that both Obafemi and Ogbene bring would be very effective playing beside and around Evan. His touch and passing is very good - there were some really great flick passes he pulled off in a recent game so he sees the pitch and has great awareness of whats going on around him that i think could exploit their pace really well. Conversely, he is good in the box too and I can see games and goals where they've been played wide or into the box and Ferguson becomes the poacher. All in good time. My biggest fear in all this is that, as I think PassingInterest touched on, we are placing too much expectation on him. He'll be a top player for us but it wont happen overnight (cue hat-trick tonight - wishful thinking haha) so patience is the order of the day.
    Are you tempering my(and others) expectations : )? It will take him time to settle in of course but he has shown as have the others that they can work very well together given their attributes and yes that more than likely isnt going to show straight off but hopefully grows over playing time together. All this hinges on both not being injured and form not dropping of course! But the ingredients are there for a lethal cocktail.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Are you tempering my(and others) expectations : )? It will take him time to settle in of course but he has shown as have the others that they can work very well together given their attributes and yes that more than likely isnt going to show straight off but hopefully grows over playing time together. All this hinges on both not being injured and form not dropping of course! But the ingredients are there for a lethal cocktail.
    We're in agreement.

I just think it will take any 18 year old time to find his feet at international level and need to be somewhat patient to let it all come together for him and the team around him. It wasnt aimed at you at all.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    864 Posts
    Theres a lot of very good managers out there. I doubt many here would have heard of Postecoglou or De Zerbi before they were hired at Celtic and Brighton, I definitely didnt. If you could trust the FAI to cast a wide net and find a diamond then we could find an excellent replacement for Kenny. I certainly dont trust them and were guaranteed to be just linked with the usual suspects on the British system merry-go-round. You'll have some nonsense like Ray Houghton and Liam Brady being involved on some committee to help pick the manager like what happened previously.

Anyway a replacement manager will only be needed if things go badly in the new campaign, lets hope that Kenny turns it around and we get good results. There is a feeling here that lads now want us to lose so that Kenny gets sacked. I've said that I dont believe in him anymore, but I also would rather we stick with him because we are getting results than hope we lose so we can replace him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Two tickets to the game tonight free to a good home. Seated together in upper tier. PM if interested (first come, first served).
    This is barstool corner here. Better off on Ybig for that.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    We're in agreement.

I just think it will take any 18 year old time to find his feet at international level and need to be somewhat patient to let it all come together for him and the team around him. It wasnt aimed at you at all.
    Ya I think anyone who expects Ferguson to be banging in the goals straight off, because hes scored 7 in England this season, is being a bit naive and impatient. That doesn't mean we shouldn't see him contributing from the off though.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    864 Posts
    Ya I think anyone who expects Ferguson to be banging in the goals straight off, because hes scored 7 in England this season, is being a bit naive and impatient. That doesn't mean we shouldn't see him contributing from the off though.
    The funny thing is you expect him to score in every game he plays now, just because he always looks so dangerous and his positioning is brilliant. Hes that good that I do think he'll do well today.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Anyway, in a wave of optimism, I'm going for 5-0 Ireland and Ferguson to get off the mark!

It's a horribly windy day so that won't help the football, and it doesn't look like it's due to improve before kick off.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It's a great point Razor. Hard to categorize both of those names as anything other than high-potential.
    Most would say before Kenny was appointed the same thing. Lets be fair. Outside of what he did with Dundalk (and even that) wasnt well known or much experience. And none of those are probably equivalent to U21s England or Assitant positions with Championship clubs.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    864 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Anyway, in a wave of optimism, I'm going for 5-0 Ireland and Ferguson to get off the mark!

It's a horribly windy day so that won't help the football, and it doesn't look like it's due to improve before kick off.
    Watching the U19s game and the weather really is affecting it

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    The funny thing is you expect him to score in every game he plays now, just because he always looks so dangerous and his positioning is brilliant. Hes that good that I do think he'll do well today.
    Ya its more a hopeful expectation than a requirement though is what I was getting at.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    864 Posts
    Ya its more a hopeful expectation than a requirement though is what I was getting at.
    Absolutely, anyone that would give him stick if he didnt score today would need to have a long hard look at themselves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Can you both take it to your respective inboxes? I'm getting eyestrain reading the quoted replies
    Sorry boss.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast