Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Killian Phillips M Aberdeen (loan from Crystal Palace) b.2002

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I note today that he's getting flak from the usual tabloids/malcontents for not taking part in Remembrance Day-related things. I guess James McClean is too low in the leagues to be on their radar anymore?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I note today that he's getting flak from the usual tabloids/malcontents for not taking part in Remembrance Day-related things. I guess James McClean is too low in the leagues to be on their radar anymore?
    I would like to see the Irish players who are made uncomfortable by this and would prefer not to wear it, to stand together, make a reasoned public statement as to why & leave it there. I am sure there are plenty of them and plenty ex player pundits also. I run a business in a forces heavy area of England, five bases within twenty minutes of the town, these people have never had anything bad to say to me over my not wearing one, not once in fifteen years of dealing with them daily. They get it, they are fine with it, we get along. Seeing the odd one out Irish player targeted down the years while the rest keep their head down is something I would like to see change.

Anyway, probably for another thread.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Will they never learn ~ ~ This is a bad look for the Poppy Pushers ~ ~ They would be better off to, just get on with, what they get on with !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    There would have been little said about it only for clickbait social media sites pointing out him standing to the side during the minutes silence, most of them Irish sites too. Stupidity for a few clicks.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Goal for him today. Nice one! He’ll be getting an earful from the Bradford fans after that.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Another goal for him today. I make that his second of the season for Wycombe.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Seems to have been a fan favourite at Wycombe recently, but it looks like he's going to Aberdeen for the second half of the season. That will be a fair change of climate for him to adjust to, Pittodrie is absolutely freezing this time of year.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Seems to have been a fan favourite at Wycombe recently, but it looks like he's going to Aberdeen for the second half of the season. That will be a fair change of climate for him to adjust to, Pittodrie is absolutely freezing this time of year.
    Loan transfer to Aberdeen confirmed. (Aberdeen Live, 28 Jan). Perhaps there is a thermal vest allowance in the contract :-)

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    Loan transfer to Aberdeen confirmed. (Aberdeen Live, 28 Jan). Perhaps there is a thermal vest allowance in the contract :-)
    Born in San Diego according to Wikipedia. That's a slightly different climate.

That could be a good move if he can force his way in there. Aberdeen might be long past the days of beating Real Madrid in European finals, but it still has to be a step up from League One. Jamie McGrath and Johnny Hayes have both been called up to the senior squad playing there in recent years.

I don't remember having seen him play (I'll change that) but according to TransferMarkt he's 1.9m (6'3").

There's a version of the future out there where we have the tallest squad in Europe.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Made his debut at the weekend coming on for 15mins. Though he'll have a new manager soon as Aberdeen decided to sack Barry Robson after their 1-1 draw with Dundee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    They play Celtic tomorrow. I'll make a point of watching that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    There's a version of the future out there where we have the tallest squad in Europe.
    Don't think we'll be far off it in a few years alright. Certainly at centre back and centre forward anyway. Though, other than Phillips, we haven't been producing particularly tall midfielders. Maybe him and Lawal can break through on behalf of the big lads.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    They play Celtic tomorrow. I'll make a point of watching that.
    So I didn't do this. But I did watch the hightlights on Sportscene and watch his 20 minutes off the bench against Rangers at Ibrox tonight.

So. Based on that VERY small sample, this is what i think of him so far.

He's something unlike anyone else we have at present. And based on what little i was my impression was that Aberdeen are playing him too far forward. He's was usually the closest player to their strike Miovski tonight. He might only be 21 but he's a big, broad, powerful man. And he plays with his socks round his ankles which only makes him look taller and more physically imposing. There's a touch of Carlton Palmer about him for those of you old enough to remember him.

Strengths:

He's got a decent touch for a big man. At one point he was surrounded by 2 or 3 rangers players and looked like he was about to lose it when he played a lovely pass off the outside of his foot to Duk (i think) on the left wing.

Running on the ball: Dribbling isn't the word for this. But when he gets running with the ball at his feet it takes a perfectly timed tackle or a foul to stop him. a bit like what Stephen Reid used to do for Blackburn before his injury robbed him of that.

Weaknesses:

Work Rate: I thought this was lacking. No problem at all when the ball was in front of him, but once it got past him he had a tendency to drop his shoulders and trot back. Under other circumstances I'd say that might have been a managerial instruction given the position he was playing, but there's no way in the world that was an instruction from Neil Warnock.

Positioning: At times I thought he was just in the wrong place, but he's young and that will come with time.

Heading: Odd thing to say for a guy that size. He's huge, but his timing was out on a couple of jumps. Obviously it's a small sample but it is what it is. If it's a problem I imagine that's much harder to coach than the positioning issue.

Overall I think a more defensive role would make more of his strengths. He would get more chance to get on the ball and driver forward from a deeper position. And I can think of no better coach to improve his weaknesses, particularly that work rate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Warnock
    You've gotta ****ing die to get three points
    I'm not sure if he will ever be good enough, but I couldn't rule it out. If he was playing deeper and starts to work back as hard as he works forward, he could be a great foil for someone like Glenn Whelan. They could sit in front of the back 4, make interceptions and play those simple passes, while he bombs up and down the pitch doing what he looks to be good at.

But that's all based on a VERY small sample.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 06/02/2024 at 11:47 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I saw the Celtic game. He didn't do a huge amount with the ball that stood out but he really imposed himself and put himself about and drew a few fouls. Celtic's midfield hard to work hard to get time on the ball and had to be quick to win any second balls.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123