Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2024 Qualifying Group B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    Move on CSAD, it's getting tiresome. You've said your peace
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Roughan is playing at a higher level than McClean and actually been playing as a wingback…if he’s not ready what does that make McClean?

I’m sorry a L2 35 year old is not our best LB, you and McClean should get a room at this rate tbh…

It is a given though, the minimum I would expect from a player is being committed to the cause, and I’m sorry but for all his commitment the rest of his game is severely lacking and once he decided to play L2 he should have been cut from the squad.

The fact we are looking to honour players when we’ve just come through a campaign losing 6 from 6 games just shows how much of a laughing stock are. If we are serious about improving we need to stock this emotional guff of honouring players just because they showed up and actually focusing on the future.

Every player in the squad is a Premiership,Championship,Eredivisie, Serie A level player and then you have McClean who’s a 35 year old playing in L2, he has absolutely no business being in this squad.
    I've watched Roughan play a lot. He's not ready for international football - if you think he is, you're wrong. McClean would be playing in the championship if it weren't for the fact that 95% of clubs view his poppy stance as toxic to their fan base (or their fan base as toxic to his poppy stance). As for that position, McClean despite being 35 <EDIT: McCLEAN IS 34> is in far far better physical condition than Stevens, Brady, Coleman etc.

For that position, you've got

a) Manning - looked good across a game and a half against Greece and Gibraltar
    b) McClean - has done pretty well, certainly surpassed expectations, generally one of the better performances on the pitch
    c) Stevens - cooked at 33
    d) Brady - good footballer but totally crocked
    e) O'Dowda - can't defender and very injury prone
    f) Scales - at international level and high club level, he's a centre half. Struggled against Greece playing LB and looked much better in the centre. Also struggled for Celtic at LWB

g) Bagan - hasn't really kicked on but could be good enough in a season or two
    h) Roughan - he's still very raw, still makes mistakes - he'd be ripped apart by good international players. Good tackler, good left foot, good in the air - but he's probably 2 years from being ready - and right now the technical deficiencies in his game would really hurt him attacking as well
    i) Adaramola - very talented but career has stalled. Question marks over attitude but maybe unfounded.
    j) Furlong - also could be good enough but the first step is to start playing football and maybe become first choice for the 21s
    Last edited by elatedscum; 18/11/2023 at 2:55 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I've watched Roughan play a lot. He's not ready for international football - if you think he is, you're wrong. McClean would be playing in the championship if it weren't for the fact that 95% of clubs view his poppy stance as toxic to their fan base (or their fan base as toxic to his poppy stance). As for that position, McClean despite being 35 is in far far better physical condition than Stevens, Brady, Coleman etc.

For that position, you've got

a) Manning - looked good across a game and a half against Greece and Gibraltar
    b) McClean - has done pretty well, certainly surpassed expectations, generally one of the better performances on the pitch
    c) Stevens - cooked at 33
    d) Brady - good footballer but totally crocked
    e) O'Dowda - can't defender and very injury prone
    f) Scales - at international level and high club level, he's a centre half. Struggled against Greece playing LB and looked much better in the centre. Also struggled for Celtic at LWB

g) Bagan - hasn't really kicked on but could be good enough in a season or two
    h) Roughan - he's still very raw, still makes mistakes - he'd be ripped apart by good international players. Good tackler, good left foot, good in the air - but he's probably 2 years from being ready - and right now the technical deficiencies in his game would really hurt him attacking as well
    i) Adaramola - very talented but career has stalled. Question marks over attitude but maybe unfounded.
    j) Furlong - also could be good enough but the first step is to start playing football and maybe become first choice for the 21s
    He wouldnt & doesnt play in the championship because he's sh!t. Effort and drive might be enough for Ireland and Irish fans/pundits because most still think its 1994, most championship clubs in England thought live in the real/modern world and view it from a perspective of reality which is simply being driven isnt enough anymore, you actually need to be good at football which McClean isnt.

Crucially though he's a worse football than those you've mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,636 Posts
    Look, McClean has been a source of huge frustration for me over the years in terms of his technical ability - occasionally rash and reckless, occasionally a bit headless chicken, the occasional blooper of a cross - but in the same vein, he has also delivered some fantastic moments (Austria, Wales, his performance and then cross for McGoldrick against the Swiss to salvage a draw). As P-Stu points out, we qualified for the Euros because of his magic moments - 6 points right there in that campaign. Add to that his commitment, his passion and unrelenting Irishness and you have a player where you can and should forgive the imperfections, respect the total package and give him the send off he deserves. You're coming across awful petty.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Look, McClean has been a source of huge frustration for me over the years in terms of his technical ability - occasionally rash and reckless, occasionally a bit headless chicken, the occasional blooper of a cross - but in the same vein, he has also delivered some fantastic moments (Austria, Wales, his performance and then cross for McGoldrick against the Swiss to salvage a draw). As P-Stu points out, we qualified for the Euros because of his magic moments - 6 points right there in that campaign. Add to that his commitment, his passion and unrelenting Irishness and you have a player where you can and should forgive the imperfections, respect the total package and give him the send off he deserves. You're coming across awful petty.
    So basically he's been frustrating for being a bad footballer. So we should honour him because he scored 3 crucial goals?

These are all very desperate reasons for giving someone a send off. I would be hoping after such a horrendous campaign we'd be serious about improving things starting from the NZL game rather than giving someone a token cap because of his "unrelenting Irishness" when he's player 2 division down from every other player in the squad.

He lost the right for the send off he deserves when he dropped down to L2. After such a horrendous campaign I would be embarrassed with such a thought tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,636 Posts
    No - you missed the point again but fair enough, will leave it there. Enjoy the pettiness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    Last warning CSAD, move on

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    No - you missed the point again but fair enough, will leave it there. Enjoy the pettiness.
    Nope I got the point loud and clear. You say he should get a send off because

1.) He's a terrible footballer who has overachieved
    2.) Had some fantastic moments, which loads of players have had yet havent had the opportunity of a great send off some of which who were better players.
    3.) Having Unrelented Irishness

There are not enough reasons to get a send off. He should count himself lucky he was ousted years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Last warning CSAD, move on
    Tell SkuSku that also, if he's going to continue replying to me I'm going to continue to respond. As a mod you are meant to be neutral, not biased to one side (which you clearly are based on this thread).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts
    Does CSAD deserve a big send off for this effort ? !

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Crucially though he's a worse football than those you've mentioned.
    Simple question: who do you think did better against France? Stevens or McClean?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Simple question: who do you think did better against France? Stevens or McClean?
    McClean, but its a low bar.

Do you think one game is going to change anything especially when both were mediocre at best? You arent helping you're case here my man.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    McClean, but its a low bar.

Do you think one game is going to change anything especially when both were mediocre at best? You arent helping you're case here my man.
    If what happens in one game doesn't change anything, especially when the games are of no consequence, then you agree it doesn't make a difference that he has been called up one last time.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WexCar. View Post
    If what happens in one game doesn't change anything, especially when the games are of no consequence, then you agree it doesn't make a difference that he has been called up one last time.
    You see that only works if he offers a potential benefit to Ireland. The question is what benefit to Ireland does a 35 year old who’s playing at a much lower standard to everyone else in the squad have? I’m struggling to see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    It's a bit strange that there hasn't been any draws in 18 games in the group so far
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...up_B#Standings

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Every team is a clear step above the one immediately below it.

Not encouraging for us, especially as we were seeded above Greece of course

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    So basically he's been frustrating for being a bad footballer. So we should honour him because he scored 3 crucial goals?

These are all very desperate reasons for giving someone a send off. I would be hoping after such a horrendous campaign we'd be serious about improving things starting from the NZL game rather than giving someone a token cap because of his "unrelenting Irishness" when he's player 2 division down from every other player in the squad.

He lost the right for the send off he deserves when he dropped down to L2. After such a horrendous campaign I would be embarrassed with such a thought tbh.
    Absolute rubbish. McClean owes us nothing and has given us everything he has. He deserves a fantastic send-off. If all players were as committed, I dare say we'd be in a better position than we are.

He's well within his rights at the age he's at to take a move that suits him and his family
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    found randolphs comments very odd at the weekend. do people think anthony barry has a patent on the 3-5-2 formation or something? that hes the only lad on the planet who can coach it? kenny would still be picking the players. the formation doesnt work because we have pick two lads at wing back who are not athetic. barry wouldnt have changed that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Absolute rubbish. McClean owes us nothing and has given us everything he has. He deserves a fantastic send-off. If all players were as committed, I dare say we'd be in a better position than we are.

He's well within his rights at the age he's at to take a move that suits him and his family

absolutely spot on. would be a total disgrace if a player wasnt given a send off after breaking 100 caps.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    If I was manager then McClean wouldn't have gotten 100 caps, purely on footballing terms. But that being said, he is a very decent fella, I admire his commitment and professionalism and he deserves his send-off. It's similar to how I felt about Kevin Kilbane, really.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

He did give everything, the issue is that just isnt enough. You are sadly letting emotions cloud you're judgment.

He is within his right's take the move he did. The issue is with that the consequences should be that he is no longer considered for selection for Ireland, any manager that was serious would cast him to the side when he moved to Wrexham.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast