Thread: UEFA Euro 2024 Qualifying Group B

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WexCar. View Post
    ?

While he is not good enough anymore to warrant a squad place, picking him for a meaningless game is a small price to pay to show recognition for his loyalty and service to the Ireland team. After all, he has over 100 caps for his country, and it does send a message to the other players that their efforts are appreciated. It is far too easy to disregard this element of the game, they are people too and I won't be too quick to dehumanise the process.

At the end of the day not getting minutes in one meaningless friendly, that will also be the last game for the manager, will not negatively impact the development of any of these younger players who in other circumstances would maybe be in the squad. Would it be good to have them in the squad ahead of him? Yes, does it actually make that big a difference? No, not really.
    We showed him recognition by picking him for over a year when he wasn't good enough. If he wants a place in the squad he needs to bring something to the table that benefits Ireland, there is literally nothing he brings. This devaluing of caps is one reason why we are where we are as a nation. He's a L2 player so should be nowhere near the squad.

All McClean has done is stink the place out for the last year, to reward him with yet another game or 2 to stink the place out show's just how much chaos we are in. If we are serious about improving as a nation then players like McClean need to be shown the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Regardless, I don't know why you think McClean is keeping a forward out of the squad.
    Thank you. I thought i was losing it reading through the exchange.

3. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Us improving as a footballing nation does not hinge on picking McCLean or whatever fringe players get picked for the senior squad. The work that needs to be done to improve us as a footballing nation needs to be done far away from the senior squad.
    In the overall picture of Irish football, picking McClean this week doesn't make any difference to us improving as a nation.
    I think you're placing far too much significance on this, it's really not that big of a deal.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    ?

While he is not good enough anymore to warrant a squad place, picking him for a meaningless game is a small price to pay to show recognition for his loyalty and service to the Ireland team. After all, he has over 100 caps for his country, and it does send a message to the other players that their efforts are appreciated. It is far too easy to disregard this element of the game, they are people too and I won't be too quick to dehumanise the process.

At the end of the day not getting minutes in one meaningless friendly, that will also be the last game for the manager, will not negatively impact the development of any of these younger players who in other circumstances would maybe be in the squad. Would it be good to have them in the squad ahead of him? Yes, does it actually make that big a difference? No, not really.
    The Republic of Ireland is in bad need of a Hooley.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    The Republic of Ireland is in bad need of a Hooley.
    Most definitely

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Us improving as a footballing nation does not hinge on picking McCLean or whatever fringe players get picked for the senior squad. The work that needs to be done to improve us as a footballing nation needs to be done far away from the senior squad.
    In the overall picture of Irish football, picking McClean this week doesn't make any difference to us improving as a nation.
    I think you're placing far too much significance on this, it's really not that big of a deal.
    It's just latest example of why we are such a laughing stock in football. Evan the French commentators a few months ago were laughing at the idea of us picking a L2 player.

McClean has precisely nothing to add to Ireland yet we pick him anyway...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    It's just latest example of why we are such a laughing stock in football. Evan the French commentators a few months ago were laughing at the idea of us picking a L2 player.

McClean has precisely nothing to add to Ireland yet we pick him anyway...
    James McClean is a Die-Hard.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    James McClean is a Die-Hard.
    Being a die hard doesnt offer Ireland anything unfortunately.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Thank you. I thought i was losing it reading through the exchange.
    Yep. I mean - and here's a mad suggestion - but Kenny could call up both McClean and Armstrong.

But I don't think he will, or should. Armstrong isn't good enough yet.

Anyways, it seems at this stage it's everyone against one, so I'm happy to move on!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Yep. I mean - and here's a mad suggestion - but Kenny could call up both McClean and Armstrong.

But I don't think he will, or should. Armstrong isn't good enough yet.

Anyways, it seems at this stage it's everyone against one, so I'm happy to move on!

If Armstrong, who's played 15 games and over 800 minutes of championship football, isn't good enough then how the hell is McClean?

How can we started preparing for the NL next year and WCQ in 2025 when we are already wasting 1 of our matches on giving another cap to a player who should have been cut years ago really.

The only thing McClean can add to his record is being the worst player to play for Ireland in their worst campaign for god know's how long, an impressive record to have.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Sure ~ We'll have a new messiah soon ( hopefully )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    The only thing McClean can add to his record is being the worst player to play for Ireland in their worst campaign for god know's how long, an impressive record to have.
    Well that's clearly nonsense anyway. McClean's been ok this campaign. Certainly better than, say, anyone in the centre of the park. Here's a site which gives match ratings for all our games (and lots of other games too) and has McClean third on the list, albeit his man-of-the-match 9.5 rating against Gibraltar skews it a bit (as it does for McGrath, who played two of his three games against Gibraltar)

Still, quite clear he's not the remotely worst player to have played for us this campaign. Of those who have played more than 90 minutes, the list notes Collins, Molumby and Idah as our three weakest performers, and I think that's quite reasonable, all things considered.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Well that's clearly nonsense anyway. McClean's been ok this campaign. Certainly better than, say, anyone in the centre of the park. Here's a site which gives match ratings for all our games (and lots of other games too) and has McClean third on the list, albeit his man-of-the-match 9.5 rating against Gibraltar skews it a bit (as it does for McGrath, who played two of his three games against Gibraltar)

Still, quite clear he's not the remotely worst player to have played for us this campaign. Of those who have played more than 90 minutes, the list notes Collins, Molumby and Idah as our three weakest performers, and I think that's quite reasonable, all things considered.
    If you say so. He is the player playing at the lowest level of any player we capped during this campaign so it's a fair assumption.

Answer me this, how does giving a 35 year old who plays in L2 such as McClean benefit Ireland in anyway going forward?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    This is all so ridiculous.

If you’re playing wing backs, then he should arguably be your first choice. Enda Stevens was a disaster against the French and is effectively done. Robbie Brady’s body is banjaxed. Ryan Manning finally put in a decent performance for Ireland in the second half against Greece and is probably the best option - but he was poor against the Netherlands and very poor against Bulgaria a few years back in his only competitive start before the Gibraltar game last month. Meanwhile Bagan, Roughan, Adaramola, Furlong - none of them are close to being ready.

You can call him a league 2 player and he technically is but he was a championship player a few months ago and it’s not like his real level has dropped that significantly. Also the idea that total commitment is a given at this level is just bull****. He’s the most committed player I’ve ever seen playing for Ireland. He’s taken painkilling injections against his club’s advice, he’s played with broken bones and chronic issues - he’s gone on the tours to America when every other senior player was pulling out. If every player was as dedicated and committed as he was, we’d do so much better - and he is an example for everyone to look up to.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    If you say so. He is the player playing at the lowest level of any player we capped during this campaign so it's a fair assumption.
    Your assumption takes in nothing at all of what's actually happened on the pitch though. Which is kinda important.

Answer me this, how does giving a 35 year old who plays in L2 such as McClean benefit Ireland in anyway going forward?
    It doesn't. And equally it doesn't harm us going forward by giving one last send-off to an exceptional servant down the years.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    This is all so ridiculous.

If you’re playing wing backs, then he should arguably be your first choice. Enda Stevens was a disaster against the French and is effectively done. Robbie Brady’s body is banjaxed. Ryan Manning finally put in a decent performance for Ireland in the second half against Greece and is probably the best option - but he was poor against the Netherlands and very poor against Bulgaria a few years back in his only competitive start before the Gibraltar game last month. Meanwhile Bagan, Roughan, Adaramola, Furlong - none of them are close to being ready.

You can call him a league 2 player and he technically is but he was a championship player a few months ago and it’s not like his real level has dropped that significantly. Also the idea that total commitment is a given at this level is just bull****. He’s the most committed player I’ve ever seen playing for Ireland. He’s taken painkilling injections against his club’s advice, he’s played with broken bones and chronic issues - he’s gone on the tours to America when every other senior player was pulling out. If every player was as dedicated and committed as he was, we’d do so much better - and he is an example for everyone to look up to.
    Roughan is playing at a higher level than McClean and actually been playing as a wingback…if he’s not ready what does that make McClean?

I’m sorry a L2 35 year old is not our best LB, you and McClean should get a room at this rate tbh…

It is a given though, the minimum I would expect from a player is being committed to the cause, and I’m sorry but for all his commitment the rest of his game is severely lacking and once he decided to play L2 he should have been cut from the squad.

The fact we are looking to honour players when we’ve just come through a campaign losing 6 from 6 games just shows how much of a laughing stock are. If we are serious about improving we need to stock this emotional guff of honouring players just because they showed up and actually focusing on the future.

Every player in the squad is a Premiership,Championship,Eredivisie, Serie A level player and then you have McClean who’s a 35 year old playing in L2, he has absolutely no business being in this squad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Your assumption takes in nothing at all of what's actually happened on the pitch though. Which is kinda important.

It doesn't. And equally it doesn't harm us going forward by giving one last send-off to an exceptional servant down the years.
    And there’s the point, he brings nothing to the table as a player so why does he deserve a send off? Has he been an exceptional servant, what does he do other than run around like a headless chicken and deliver SH!t crosses into the box? Just because he cares more than others he should get a send off? Just award him with a “you tried” trophy pre kick off and let him fly back to L2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    And there’s the point, he brings nothing to the table as a player so why does he deserve a send off?
    He doesn't bring nothing to the table though, however many times you repeat it. He's actually been one of our better performers this campaign. He's had better campaigns sure - top scorer in 2018 for example, with four huge away goals. Simply wouldn't have made the World Cup playoffs without them. And I'm sure it's a boost to have had such a driven character in the dressing room the past 11 years. If we had more players like him, we'd be in a better place, and that deserves acknowledgement.

Your bias here is bizarre, from wanting a forward with one senior goal to his name included instead, to saying he's been our worst player this campaign simply because of the level he's now playing at (and ignoring his actual performances), to asking irrelevant questions and then ignoring the answers (How does it benefit us having him in the squad going forward)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Much a do about nothing ~ Once more unto the breach, Dear James !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    He doesn't bring nothing to the table though, however many times you repeat it. He's actually been one of our better performers this campaign. He's had better campaigns sure - top scorer in 2018 for example, with four huge away goals. Simply wouldn't have made the World Cup playoffs without them. And I'm sure it's a boost to have had such a driven character in the dressing room the past 11 years. If we had more players like him, we'd be in a better place, and that deserves acknowledgement.

Your bias here is bizarre, from wanting a forward with one senior goal to his name included instead, to saying he's been our worst player this campaign simply because of the level he's now playing at (and ignoring his actual performances), to asking irrelevant questions and then ignoring the answers (How does it benefit us having him in the squad going forward)

What has he actually dont this campaign, Think back, what moments did he have?

Yes he was worthy of a send off in 2018, not now. It sure as hell wasnt a boost in the last 2 campaigns so not so sure abut that. Im sorry but being driven isnt enough.

The forward who's playing 2 divisions above McClean and is 15 years younger so has more growth you mean? I like how you've conveniently picked that one example and ignore that ive pointed out 4-5 others who are more deserving aswell, if not more.

Well look at it, all the other players are premiership or championship standard players and then you have McClean who's in L2, he's totally out of place being in this squad. Being driven isnt enough reason to be included.

I'm ignoring it because you havent answered the question, you've still yet to explain how including him improves Ireland going forward. After a campaign where we've lost (likely) 6 games from 6 I'd hope we would be focusing on improving for the next campaign right away rather than wasting our first game post ECQ's by wasting our first friendly acknowledging a mediocre L2 player just because he's "driven".

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast