Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment of Riches: Forwards

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    This thread is a tricky one. I referenced Darragh Burns who is a winger or wide forward. I was about to reference CJ Hamilton as a new option but I note, for example, Ogbene isn't in here. Are we referring to strikers or anyone who can play across the front 3?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    for us to dismiss any player after about a total of 90 mins football would be ridiculous.
    mcgoldrick looked rubbish the first few times I saw him but grew to be the main man for a year or two
    We dismissed Paul Butler after 45 minutes once I remember, and it was hard to argue with the call. Not saying Keane should get the same treatment, I'd keep him around the squad but I'd be waiting to see how he gets on at a higher level next season before I'd throw him in for another Ireland start.

To me it feels like if we're picking Keane to start and not picking Parrott we're doing it the wrong way around.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I said in another thread that as bad as Will Keane was against Lithuania his goals record in the league this season makes him worth another look. We all have bad days at work. Doesnt matter that the opposition was terrible.

I think while we do have good prospects right now, and I'm as excited about some of these players as anyone, but we do not have an embarrassment of riches... yet.

There maybe a time in 3 years when we have fantastic players all playing at a high level and some good players will be left out of squads, kinda like whats starting to happen with our defenders with the likes of Lenihan and Dunne struggling to get in, but we arent there yet.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Keane did alright when he came on against Portugal. I'd keep him in the squad for sure but I think others are ahead of him to start.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    No Shane Long? He's the one player appearing in the premier league regularly (since Idah injury). Which puts this embarrasment of riches list in some perspective tbh.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Keane did alright when he came on against Portugal.
    Belgium?

There’s room in the squad for a striker that’s disruptive. I was open to giving Will Keane a go for that reason. And sure, if we are launching balls into and around the 6-yard box, Keane’s goals this year show in these situations he can score goals. But our play has evolved and become more complex than that under Kenny, and Lithuania wasn’t a “bad night on the job” for Keane, but a glaring reveal of his shortcomings to play a modern game at senior international level. I’d move on from Keane and give those limited playing minutes to exploring other options.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Belgium?

There’s room in the squad for a striker that’s disruptive. I was open to giving Will Keane a go for that reason. And sure, if we are launching balls into and around the 6-yard box, Keane’s goals this year show in these situations he can score goals. But our play has evolved and become more complex than that under Kenny, and Lithuania wasn’t a “bad night on the job” for Keane, but a glaring reveal of his shortcomings to play a modern game at senior international level. I’d move on from Keane and give those limited playing minutes to exploring other options.
    You're right. Keane was flummoxed by the complexity of the Lithuania game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Belgium?

Did he not come on after Pepe was sent off? pushed a guy causing a goal to be (probably rightly) disallowed?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Did he not come on after Pepe was sent off? pushed a guy causing a goal to be (probably rightly) disallowed?
    Ref gave a soft free saying he fouled the keeper. Skip to 11.25 https://youtu.be/phFb4siGejM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    He did but didn’t think you were judging his performance as alright based on a couple of injury time minutes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Ref gave a soft free saying he fouled the keeper. Skip to 11.25 https://youtu.be/phFb4siGejM
    Soft is the word. The game would nearly have to become non contact if that is a free. In any case if he hadn’t got involved the goalkeeper probably would have easily collected the ball and there would have not been the goal. Very little in and the ref probably didn’t want to be responsible for Portugal losing to a late goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Soft is the word. The game would nearly have to become non contact if that is a free. In any case if he hadn’t got involved the goalkeeper probably would have easily collected the ball and there would have not been the goal. Very little in and the ref probably didn’t want to be responsible for Portugal losing to a late goal.
    Yeah roles reversed and I think that goal probably stands more often than not.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Soft but just about correct imho. I'd have been furious if it had stood against us. I thought he was more than injury time? He wasn't on long but looked lively and keen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    The ref blew before the ball went in anyway, so he'd made his mind up early it was a foul, goal or not
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    We dismissed Paul Butler after 45 minutes once I remember, and it was hard to argue with the call. Not saying Keane should get the same treatment, I'd keep him around the squad but I'd be waiting to see how he gets on at a higher level next season before I'd throw him in for another Ireland start.

To me it feels like if we're picking Keane to start and not picking Parrott we're doing it the wrong way around.
    I agree with this. We have made the effort to blood the likes of idah and parrott at the expense of say shane long with the aim ofvrrap8ngbthe benefits for the next 2 world Cup campaign s, I really think we should continue with that policy

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Most embarrassing thing here is the thread title IMO. Look, we've a few lads who might, at a push, in a fair wind, make things a bit better than they have been for a while now. One or two of them might have top level goalscoring careers but thats still very uncertain. Its not an embarrassment of riches no matter how you stretch it out.

I was saying to some other supporters elsewhere that Portugals needing a goal throw of the dice late sub in the Euros ( v Belgium I think it was ) was a guy who had finished second top scorer in the Bundesliga, Silva. He had outscored Haaland that season IIRC .... Haaland like. Thats riches. While we go on about how everythings going to be ok because we have Idah & Parrott now.

We have some prospects, finally. But thats all it is.
    It might be a little premature, yes, but with the recent form of Idah, Obafemi and Parrott, I think things are starting to take shape. I'm feeling confident that all three of these lads will be Championship level, at least; Connolly is a bit touch and go; Scully could also step up a level. We know what Robinson brings to the table. By the end of next season, I reckon there's a good chance we'll see Ferguson, Odubeko, Kavanagh, Okoflex and maybe Cannon break through. And another forward I didn't mention, Dara Costelloe, has already been in a Premier League matchday squad - so perhaps we're not quite there yet, but we may be quite soon. And I also want to note that the equivalent thread about goalkeeper is built around a back-up keeper with fewer than 20 appearances, a keeper with one decent Championship campaign and another back-up keeper on loan at a middling League One team

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Will Keane has scored 24 goals and 6 assists so far this season. It's a powerful statistic. Browsing Sam's list, I cannot see even one other player capable of delivering such a tally at League One standard. Kenny should study Wigan's strategy of supply for Keane and give him starts in the Nations League. We've been whinging for years about the dearth of a goalscorer - now we have one.
    With ten goals in his last seventeen games a level up, I think Obafemi could

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Fair point - provided his loyalties are established. Keane/Obafemi have scored 36 goals in 91 appearances this season. Parrott/Idah have 10/63. Which duo poses the greater current threat? Planning for future WCs/Euros is fine but it's pie in the sky if it compromises the here and now . . . because we won't qualify. Where does that leave the promising youngsters of today? Nowhere. The most important game is the next one.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 27/04/2022 at 5:35 AM. Reason: quote stuff-up.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Parrott. Robinson and obefemi are miles better then idah and Keane. They will probably turn out better then ogbene as well.

The issue we have is knight must surely be accommodated in the front three leaving two spots for the rest

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Parrott. Robinson and obefemi are miles better then idah and Keane. They will probably turn out better then ogbene as well.

The issue we have is knight must surely be accommodated in the front three leaving two spots for the rest
    Why must Knight be accommodated as a forward? He's primarily a midfielder. Robinson should be subject to form like everyone else. Obefemi might not commit. Meanwhile Keane is scoring goals for fun - but is miles behind players who aren't!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Because he's shown how effective he can be in that LW position both in attack and defence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast