Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Lithuania - Tuesday, 29th March 2022 - Friendly

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Just the odd quick look at Ryan Manning there with the beard and his size ( not so much his style of play ) reminded me of the Great Tony Grealish. What a Great Player Tony Grealish was for us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Indeed he was. Thought I was the only person here old enough to remember him playing. Pity Jack turned out to be such a disappointment. Somehow when he first emerged I wondered whether Tony was his old man in the same way I thought Eddie might be David's father.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Indeed he was. Thought I was the only person here old enough to remember him playing. Pity Jack turned out to be such a disappointment. Somehow when he first emerged I wondered whether Tony was his old man in the same way I thought Eddie might be David's father.
    His nephew was Example. A fairly run of the mill pop act that had lots of hits in the 2010s.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    I remember Grealish too.. loved him.. he was one of those players that always seemed to be running around more than everyone else.. big Bjorn Borg head on him

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    I remember Grealish too.. loved him.. he was one of those players that always seemed to be running around more than everyone else.. big Bjorn Borg head on him
    Good passer of the ball too. We’d be lucky to have a Tony Grealish now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Good passer of the ball too. We’d be lucky to have a Tony Grealish now.
    Remember Grealish well. He was a pivotal player in Ireland's emergence from the wilderness years. I believe he is (or was) related to Jack Greaslish. Both from the Birmingham area of Irish lineage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    we played england in wembley not long after his passing in 2013 and they played a very nice tribute to him in the stadium at half time.
    nice touch from the english FA for an away team player.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    My concern is that Keane will be discarded on the basis of this messy game. He'll probably be in the Championship next season, the standard of many in the squad. He's our only prolific club scorer and if it continues at that level he should be a factor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    My concern is that Keane will be discarded on the basis of this messy game. He'll probably be in the Championship next season, the standard of many in the squad. He's our only prolific club scorer and if it continues at that level he should be a factor.
    we absolutely cannot discard him and i don't think SK will.
    the tempo of the first 60 mins was very slow, crosses were coming in from way too deep and I am not sure he received a decent pass anywhere near the box all night. it would be very unfair to judge him on last tuesdays game which was after all only his first start

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Remember Grealish well. He was a pivotal player in Ireland's emergence from the wilderness years. I believe he is (or was) related to Jack Greaslish. Both from the Birmingham area of Irish lineage.
    No they're not. He grew up in West London. The only connection is Galway
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Amazing the swings and roundabouts this can take. I thought the forwards (Obafemi, Connolly, Parrott and Idah) would be the surest things. These 3 young centre halves and 3 young goalkeepers have come up from behind them and all 6 lads look like they will be high level Championship or Premiership level footballers for the majority of their careers which means they'll be in the frame for us unless we have a drastic uptick in quality overall. The forwards have been a mixed bag and Obafemi and Idah have had really bright patches at Championship and Premiership level respectively of late. And our front 3 looks like it will be Knight, Ogbene and Robinson for the next while unless one of those guys sustains some really good club form.

I agree on midfield and left back. Coventry, Kilkenny and Johansson are 3 of the lads I think need big seasons next season and need to pick their moves wisely (assuming all of them will be on the move). Johansson I'm including because he has looked quality when I have seen him but it hasn't happened for him this season in Holland.

Hopefully we get an Ogbene-like bolter into the mix if none of those guys press on. Maybe Mark Sykes or Daniel Crowley (who I believe is playing deeper for Willem II than the 10 spot he normally occupied). Ronan is probably a player for the front line options if he does keep going.

As I type this, it is becoming clear to me that our squad has become much stronger recently.
    Good post, I suppose it goes back to one of Giles's one liners, the hardest part of football is putting the ball in the net.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    No they're not. He grew up in West London. The only connection is Galway

He started out at Orient before Giles brought him to West Brom along with Irish internationals Mick Martin, Paddy Mulligan and Ray Treacy. Treacy started his career at West Brom but only played a couple of games before being sold. He scored a couple of goals in his first few games after Giles signed him ten years after he left. He jokingly said he was due a testimonial as he was averaging a goal a game for the Baggies over a 10 year period.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    He was iconic, more our version of a Grizzly Adams graced with the legs of Cú Chulainn, ploughed on straight through tackles and himself could tackle like a combine harvester.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Wouldn't be too concerned. Kenny seems to like him and spent some time defending his performance in the press conference afterwards. He'll get more chances unless better players emerge.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Wouldn't be too concerned. Kenny seems to like him and spent some time defending his performance in the press conference afterwards. He'll get more chances unless better players emerge.
    He wouldnt be the first fella to look poor on his 1st start and go on to do better. I thought that he looked like a L1 player the other day, but I think I said after the game that because of his goal record this season hes probably worth another look. I dont think he'll ever be 1st choice for us but hes a better player than James Collins to have as back up

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    [QUOTE=third policeman;2106840]He started out at Orient before Giles brought him to West Brom along with Irish internationals Mick Martin, Paddy Mulligan and Ray Treacy. Treacy started his career at West Brom but only played a couple of games before being sold. He scored a couple of goals in his first few games after Giles signed him ten years after he left. He jokingly said he was due a testimonial as he was averaging a goal a game for the Baggies over a 10 year period.[/QUOTE

Memory playing tricks there. He went to West Brom after Giles moved on.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    He wouldnt be the first fella to look poor on his 1st start and go on to do better. I thought that he looked like a L1 player the other day, but I think I said after the game that because of his goal record this season hes probably worth another look. I dont think he'll ever be 1st choice for us but hes a better player than James Collins to have as back up
    Im not sure the lead striker is his best position? Thought he was better when he came on against Belgium than he was leading the line. He has plenty of time anyway. Can't be writing off anyone after a bad performance or two. We aren't spoiled for choice. Up front and in midfield anyways. Embarrassing riches further back of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    [QUOTE=third policeman;2106859]
    He started out at Orient before Giles brought him to West Brom along with Irish internationals Mick Martin, Paddy Mulligan and Ray Treacy. Treacy started his career at West Brom but only played a couple of games before being sold. He scored a couple of goals in his first few games after Giles signed him ten years after he left. He jokingly said he was due a testimonial as he was averaging a goal a game for the Baggies over a 10 year period.[/QUOTE

Memory playing tricks there. He went to West Brom after Giles moved on.
    You sure about that ? I would have said Giles signed him for West Brom. I know Giles brought him back to Shamrock Rovers When he was manager there.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    [QUOTE=TonyD;2106878]

You sure about that ? I would have said Giles signed him for West Brom. I know Giles brought him back to Shamrock Rovers When he was manager there.
    He signed Treacy, but not Grealish. Greyish was signed by Atkinson. You are right about Treacy going to Rovers. Never understood why Giles favoured Treacy over Terry Conroy when he was Ireland manager.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    [QUOTE=TonyD;2106878]

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post

He signed Treacy, but not Grealish. Greyish was signed by Atkinson. You are right about Treacy going to Rovers. Never understood why Giles favoured Treacy over Terry Conroy when he was Ireland manager.
    Both good players but very different. Conroy was slight and essentially a winger while Treacy a rugged and aggressive striker. He was used as a foil up front alongside Don Givens. Conroy was definitely more skilful and elusive - he went round defenders, Treacy through them. A good touchstone for the era was Ireland's famous 3-0 defeat of USSR at Dalymount in 1974 in a European Nations qualifier where Treacy did the spadework for a Givens hat-trick and 18-year-old Liam Brady made a sensational debut. Conroy didn't play (maybe unplayed 12th man, maybe injured as unfortunately he often was), but it would hardly be a surprise that Giles preferred the no-holds-barred Treacy.

Ireland line-up: Paddy Roche, Jimmy Holmes, Paddy Mulligan, Terry Mancini, Joe Kinnear, Liam Brady, John Giles, Steve Heighway, Mick Martin, Don Givens, Ray Treacy.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 02/04/2022 at 9:10 AM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast