Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2022

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    If only the league had some ties to an electricity company..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    If only the league had some ties to an electricity company..
    Now i know you dont work for the FAI, far to sensible

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts
    Decent crowd in Richmond tonight for Pats v Harps, around 2,700 or so
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    2343 in OP last night.

I had 12 "guests"(never been to OP before) at the match and one of them needed the bogs about 15 mins before the h/t break and the "10 minute stand" town side standing area bog t- hat was closest to us - was jammers so opted to bring them to the Lilywhite bar toilet instead.
    There was At least 120 Dundalk fans still in the Lilywhite bar at that time(i kid you not) half watching the game but also not watching on TV (and this was before that crazy shower we had at ht)
    Is that a regular occurrence? I'm Not a regular on that side of the ground so first time i have seen that.
    Last edited by ToberonaTornado; 03/09/2022 at 2:30 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I'd say you find that at most grounds that have a club house with bar facilities. Allegedly Cobh Ramblers had their biggest league attendance (excluding Cork City) due to a free pints offer and open bar later!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    I'd say you find that at most grounds that have a club house with bar facilities. Allegedly Cobh Ramblers had their biggest league attendance (excluding Cork City) due to a free pints offer and open bar later!
    Jaysus.
    I like my pints but i couldn't square it with myself to go to a match and then sit in the bar while the match is going on.
    It was also the fact that the bar was WELL packed that annoyed me the most.

edit: i was told that you don't need a match ticket to get in to the bar at Oriel.
    Last edited by ToberonaTornado; 03/09/2022 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Jaysus.
    I like my pints but i couldn't square it with myself to go to a match and then sit in the bar while the match is going on.

edit: i was told that you don't need a match ticket to get in to the bar at Oriel.
    Does happen in lots on IL grounds
    In the old Windsor Park you could buy a season ticket seat that was inside the bar, looking out over the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    2343 in OP last night.

I had 12 "guests"(never been to OP before) at the match and one of them needed the bogs about 15 mins before the h/t break and the "10 minute stand" town side standing area bog t- hat was closest to us - was jammers so opted to bring them to the Lilywhite bar toilet instead.
    There was At least 120 Dundalk fans still in the Lilywhite bar at that time(i kid you not) half watching the game but also not watching on TV (and this was before that crazy shower we had at ht)
    Is that a regular occurrence? I'm Not a regular on that side of the ground so first time i have seen that.
    https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status...TJp-nA_Oj8opsg Confirmed crowd.

Better than this, as last night was on TV and I did hear up to 100 chose not to leave the bar and watch it on the tv's in the LW lounge, but there is a hard core of around 10-15 who go to home games and don't actually leave the bar, they put the game on in the speakers from LMFM radio or Dundalk FM and they listen for the full 90 instead of walking less than 1 minute to actually watch the game.

N'oth as quare as folk !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Jaysus.

I think that's correct, but there is no access to the stand from the Lilywhite Lounge bar before the game, you have to go back out and go through the gates with a ticket / ST to go into the ground. It might be open at HT though. There is access from the Enda McG bar to the ground before the game, but you have to buy a ticket first for there.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Derry-UCD sold out, though judging by some spare seats, some ST holders mustn't have turned up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    02/09/2022 - First Division, Cork City 2 Longford Town 2, Att: over 2700

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    02/09/2022 - First Division, Cork City 2 Longford Town 2, Att: over 2700
    I think Cork fans must have been expecting an easy win, smaller crowd than I expected.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    I wonder if any clubs are interested in changing the kick-off times to mid-day at the weekend to beat the rise in price of electricity?
    I'd say this is unlikely. But nteresting to note that Irish League clubs have today raised the growing proice of electricity : Irish League chairmen issue warning that rising energy costs could put clubs under significant financial pressure - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

That said noticeably more of them are now opting to play on a Friday night rather than Saturday daytime this season, so it can't be putitng them off so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I think Cork fans must have been expecting an easy win, smaller crowd than I expected.
    There are a number of mitigating factors for the attendance on Friday. Longford are not an appealing opposition and brought virtually no away fans.
    Schools are just back, Electric Picnic was on and there was a Rugby game (friendly) at the same time around the corner (some fans would choose the rugby over City and some will skip entirely due to perceived parking issues).

On top of that 2,700 is perfectly reasonable. Our average for the league season is 3,160. Take out the two Galway games and it drops to 2,739. The actual attendance on Friday was 2,731. I think 8 fans below average excluding outliers isn't all that bad.
    Its also our 8th highest league attendance out of 14 games, smack bang in the middle and its more than we had for the last time Longford were in town (2,337).

I think people look at us with a handful of large attendances and get a warped perception of how good our support has been. Its still much better than the rest of the division, and a lot of the Premier Division but we've only topped 3k 4 times this season, twice for Galway (4,984 for the first home game of the season and 6,393 for the top of the table clash), once for Cobh (4,240 for a local derby, second home game of the season) and once for Waterford (3,012 for the third home game of the season, decent away support against the perceived favourites at the time, this was also on a Monday right after we played Cobh so could have been higher in better circumstances).

On the other hand our attendance floor is very good. We've had a minimum of 2265 this year, and that was for a Monday game in the middle of 3 home games in 8 days.

Assuming we manage to hold on and get promoted our attendances are going to take a hit next year. We'll likely have a big crowd for the first home game, and I'd expect very good away crowds from most Premier Division teams in the first couple of series as it will be their first chance to come to the Cross since 2019, but we aren't going to get any bumper crowds like the ~7k for Galway if we are in a relegation battle or mid-table and I'd imagine we'll be getting a lot of crowds around 2,200 to 2,500 throughout the second half of the season. Maybe lower if we're playing badly.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    There are a number of mitigating factors for the attendance on Friday. Longford are not an appealing opposition and brought virtually no away fans.
    Schools are just back, Electric Picnic was on and there was a Rugby game (friendly) at the same time around the corner (some fans would choose the rugby over City and some will skip entirely due to perceived parking issues).

On top of that 2,700 is perfectly reasonable. Our average for the league season is 3,160. Take out the two Galway games and it drops to 2,739. The actual attendance on Friday was 2,731. I think 8 fans below average excluding outliers isn't all that bad.
    Its also our 8th highest league attendance out of 14 games, smack bang in the middle and its more than we had for the last time Longford were in town (2,337).

I think people look at us with a handful of large attendances and get a warped perception of how good our support has been. Its still much better than the rest of the division, and a lot of the Premier Division but we've only topped 3k 4 times this season, twice for Galway (4,984 for the first home game of the season and 6,393 for the top of the table clash), once for Cobh (4,240 for a local derby, second home game of the season) and once for Waterford (3,012 for the third home game of the season, decent away support against the perceived favourites at the time, this was also on a Monday right after we played Cobh so could have been higher in better circumstances).

On the other hand our attendance floor is very good. We've had a minimum of 2265 this year, and that was for a Monday game in the middle of 3 home games in 8 days.

Assuming we manage to hold on and get promoted our attendances are going to take a hit next year. We'll likely have a big crowd for the first home game, and I'd expect very good away crowds from most Premier Division teams in the first couple of series as it will be their first chance to come to the Cross since 2019, but we aren't going to get any bumper crowds like the ~7k for Galway if we are in a relegation battle or mid-table and I'd imagine we'll be getting a lot of crowds around 2,200 to 2,500 throughout the second half of the season. Maybe lower if we're playing badly.

These are amazing crowds no matter which division you're in.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post

Now that's what I called a great answer, well done!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Watching the game last night, I would estimate some 6,000 at the Tallaght stadium.

Unless anyone has the official figures please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    655 Posts
    6300 and something was the official figure.
    Thats about 700 short of capacity with seat kills and UEFA stuff apparantly.
    The ticketing was a shambles with tickets only going on general sale the day before the match.
    I had plenty of people asking me when could they buy a ticket as you had to be in the Rovers database to buy a ticket up to the day before the match.
    Hopefully they will learn from this and put tickets on sale early for the next home match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    6300 and something was the official figure.
    The ticketing was a shambles with tickets only going on general sale the day before the match.
    I had plenty of people asking me when could they buy a ticket as you had to be in the Rovers database to buy a ticket up to the day before the match.
    Hopefully they will learn from this and put tickets on sale early for the next home match.
    Was that part in relation to the decision to sell the package tickets first and then move to general sale for the Djurgarden game?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    What's the story with the bottom 4-5 rows of the south stand being cordoned off with that netting I've noticed it for domestic games too.
    Are those seats ever open?
    I was looking at them last night and I'm not even sure if you sat there you'd be able to see anything with the advertisement hoardings right in front anyway

Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast