Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Named as a sub this afternoon against Fulham

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Any word on how this guy is doing in pre-season? Crystal Palace are heavily linked with a loan move for left-back Lewis Hall of Chelsea.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Similarly to Killian Phillips, Tayo didn't travel as part of the first team squad on their pre-season tour. Jake O'Brien was the only Irish player that made the cut.

The failed Coventry loan seemed to really set him back. They looked at him for a couple of weeks this time last year, decided he was nowhere near Championship standard and sent him back to Palace. It seemed to knock him off his stride a bit and he hasn't played much if any senior football since.

He could really do with finding a club for this season, even if it's down in League 2 or wherever, to try and get back on track.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Not quite, Palace called him back because Coventry had cancelled some of their early season fixtures, and he wasn't playing enough football
    https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2022/sep...rystal-palace/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Not quite, Palace called him back because Coventry had cancelled some of their early season fixtures, and he wasn't playing enough football
    https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2022/sep...rystal-palace/
    Fair point, they called him back rather than him being sent back, but it wasn't really because of the cancellations, he just wasn't making match day squads even when they were playing. These were Vieira's comments at the time:

"He wasn’t getting the first-team games and we called him back. It will be better for him to be with us, training around the first team and giving us options on that left-hand side.

“He [will provide] competition, but I believe every experience is a good experience.

“It will be important for him to learn and to try to understand why it didn’t work over there and to keep pushing on what he is missing to make the next step.

“It’s our responsibility to keep working with him and make him get his confidence back and believe in himself to try and push him. We believe in him and will keep working with him.”
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Yeah, it'd make no sense to call him back because some games were cancelled. They were made up in the end, and there were still more games available than he did play.

It does seem he just wasn't rated

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Gone on loan within the Eagle Holdings group to R.W.D. Molenbeek. If it goes as well as Jake O'Brien's stint there, he could be challenging Tagliafico for his place at Lyon next season! https://www.extratime.com/articles/3...nbeek-on-loan/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Given our dearth of left back options and how highly rated he is he should maybe play in these friendlies coming up whether he gets playing time or not.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    So highly rated that he couldn't get a game at Coventry and has now gone on loan to a newly-promoted Belgian side?

Hasn't played a single senior game at the age of 20. Not writing him off obviously, but I wouldn't be throwing him in either, even given our issues at left-back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Given our dearth of left back options and how highly rated he is he should maybe play in these friendlies coming up whether he gets playing time or not.
    He's not even the first choice left back for the U21s and you want to give him a senior call-up because he got a loan to a lower Belgian side?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    He's not even the first choice left back for the U21s and you want to give him a senior call-up because he got a loan to a lower Belgian side?
    I want to give him a senior call-up because I think he's probably one of our best 2 or 3 left backs. The north regularly have to do things like this. Conor Bradley made his international debut at 18 years old before he ever played a game of league football. That exposure was arguably a springboard that enabled him to achieve the success he is now enjoying.

If you this we have 3 better options, feel free to name them.

And when it comes to judging the potetial of young players I have a lot more faith in the coaches at Premier League clubs than I have in our underage management tbh.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 26/01/2024 at 9:38 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    From the U21s alone: Sean Roughan, James Furlong and Anselmo Garcia MacNulty. All played/playing senior football at left back

Palace haven't played him and he was sent packing from Coventry without playing. The lad played about an hour of senior football so far. That shows how much faith the club coaches have in him.
    Last edited by ColourfulPeanut; 26/01/2024 at 9:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    McNulty is a central defender.

Is Roughan playing in league one a better level than sitting on the bench in the Premier League? Debatable I suppose. Furlong is playing a division lower than Adaramola and no closer to being picked.

Even if Cirkin declared for us he's lost his place in the Sunderland team.

The reality is we have extremely limited options. McClean has gone, Enda Stevens is the wrong side of 30, and we probably have to throw a couple of young lads in to see if they sink or swim.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Roughan btw. I'd suggest they should both play 20-30 mins for the seniors in March. Its a disaster but that's where we are.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Andy Lyons is a more plausible option for me. Can play on either side and has done it at Championship level. Back playing now and would be worth a look in March.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    McNulty is a central defender.

Is Roughan playing in league one a better level than sitting on the bench in the Premier League? Debatable I suppose. Furlong is playing a division lower than Adaramola and no closer to being picked.
    MacNulty has been playing left back all season.

Andy Lyons is probably another choice - plus Ryan Manning of course.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/01/2024 at 10:11 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    MacNulty has played nearly every game this season for Zwolle at left back. Including their latest game on Saturday and draw away to Ajax last month for an idea of the level he's at.

You can talk down Roughan's level or Furlong not breaking through at senior level. Even with that and our limited options Adaramola has done abolutely nothing to warrant even a discussion about a call-up

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    What's the ideal depth chart look like for a new manager?

Manning, Scales, MacNulty, Lyons, Roughan Furlong, Aderemola?

Is it worth even having Stevens in the team? O'Dowda probably in the mix but I don't love him in that position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I'd even have Brady in there before Adaramola if he doesn't get in the Molenbeek team tbh (which was the original suggestion)

You'd have Stevens in a depth chart for sure - but he's very injury prone these days. Hasn't played since the start of December for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Adaramola has done abolutely nothing to warrant even a discussion about a call-up
    Nobody has. That's the point.

All he has going for him is that there's been chat about how highly Palace rate him, which is sort of backed up by the fact that Palace haven't brought in anyone as cover from Mitchell.

Manning is the default first choice now. I don't rate him myself but he's all there is.

There's no real way to know what level Adaramola can play at. We know exactly what level someone in League One is at. To me someone we've never seen play on the fringes of a Premier League team is worth a punt ahead of someone playing in League One. YMMV

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    He's not on the fringes of a PL team though. He's been sent on loan because they don't need him right now. Let the lad play a season at senior level.

Fair on Brady stu but I'd almost just cut himself and Stevens out. There are enough senior players elsewhere, Manning is OK and we need to start planning for the future. One or two of the lads who are playing ball e.g. MacNulty, Lyons, Roughan should probably be in the next few squads to see how they get on.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast