Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glentoran v Shelbourne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    That "fella" was Crawley who I believe subsequently had to be taken off as he could not complete the game. I think he had been whacked by a tackle of one of your players a few mins earlier.
    Part and parcel of the game, PS. Players often come off wosre when challenging for the ball. Not one of our players would be regarded as dirty, perhaps with the exception of Glendinning, who was absent tonight. As I said, Crawley was more than capable of walking, or even limping those two yards to the sidelines, but instead unsportingly sat on his @rse and held up the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exile
    they said on the box tonite that they came back for training 2 weeks ago mattews and dolan reckon that thats not good enough for a team hoping to progress
    I saw that but Glens actually came into it most in the last 10 minutes. The crucial period where inferior fitness should show you up most so I am wondering how poor is their fitness situation as I rememver a Glens fan talking about their training regime for this season in a progressive and positive light.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Glentoran
    Part and parcel of the game, PS. Players often come off wosre when challenging for the ball. Not one of our players would be regarded as dirty, perhaps with the exception of Glendinning, who was absent tonight. As I said, Crawley was more than capable of walking, or even limping those two yards to the sidelines, but instead unsportingly sat on his @rse and held up the game.
    Forza, honestly neither you or I know what's wrong with him so we cannot say what he felt and whether he felt another step may aggravate things. I didn't think you were absolutely filthy or anything but you played hard and I think your two first half bookings and tackle on Crawley broke their best momentum of the match so far at that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    If you think the only difference between the sides out their was merely fitness and had Glentoran been mid season they would have 'won, and fairly convincingly at that' you're fairly deluded. You played Longford in your season and would have lost on away goals, the time of the season starting wouldn't change a completley one sided game into a completley one sided game the other way, that's completley and totally daft.

Fitness helped, of course, but there was a hell of alot more between the sides than that.
    Disagree completely, Slash. For a start, regarding the Longford scenario you refer to, the game at Flancare was played just 48 hours after our title decider with Linfield. So as you can imagine, our boys were barely recovering. As for me being deluded, pull the other one. Like I said, you are a good team, but no better than the top 3 sides up here when our season is in full swing. For God's sake, get over yourselves. Nice to see so many native americans at the Oval tonight, by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Disagree completely, Slash. For a start, regarding the Longford scenario you refer to, the game at Flancare was played just 48 hours after our title decider with Linfield. So as you can imagine, our boys were barely recovering. As for me being deluded, pull the other one. Like I said, you are a good team, but no better than the top 3 sides up here when our season is in full swing. For God's sake, get over yourselves. Nice to see so many native americans at the Oval tonight, by the way.

But in all fairness, I disagree completley. If you compare the leagues the only way to do it is Europe and our results are far better. Glentorans win in Europe last year was their first tie won in something like two decades (Correct me if I'm wrong there), compared to LOI sides that have won five champions league ties in five years and are favourites to make it six, along with a good few in other competitions in the same time (Frustratingly, mainly in the co-efficentless inter toto cup). Not all of those came with the advantage of summer fitness either. Shels, imo, completley dominated that match bar the last 10 minutes when we fell back, that is not just down to having played a few more games recently. You're side not be that much less fit than us, have you not been training one night a week for two weeks now?

Afterall, the time of the match when fitness should have counted, Glentoran had their only chances of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Forza, honestly neither you or I know what's wrong with him so we cannot say what he felt and whether he felt another step may aggravate things. I didn't think you were absolutely filthy or anything but you played hard and I think your two first half bookings and tackle on Crawley broke their best momentum of the match so far at that point.
    Well, PS, he looked perfectly fine as he walked around the sidelines, all the way back to the dugout after his antics.

I honestly think we did ok tonight, considering our lack of sharpness and fitness compared to Shels. We know we can score against them, even though, according to their fans, we were outclassed. How could we possibly have been, when all they could manage was 2-1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED

But in all fairness, I disagree completley. If you compare the leagues the only way to do it is Europe and our results are far better. Glentorans win in Europe last year was their first tie won in something like two decades (Correct me if I'm wrong there), compared to LOI sides that have won five champions league ties in five years and are favourites to make it six, along with a good few in other competitions in the same time (Frustratingly, mainly in the co-efficentless inter toto cup). Not all of those came with the advantage of summer fitness either. Shels, imo, completley dominated that match bar the last 10 minutes when we fell back, that is not just down to having played a few more games recently. You're side not be that much less fit than us, have you not been training one night a week for two weeks now?

Afterall, the time of the match when fitness should have counted, Glentoran had their only chances of the game.
    I reckon we've been training two nights a week, but we've had feck all match practice worth talking about, so we're all over the place. Things weren't helped by our Asst Manager leaving suddenly last week either. Fair enough, your league have had better success in Europe, but I disagree that summer fitness didn't help you to succeed. I think with summer football, we could succeed regularly in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Summer football fitness helped, but the start of our improvement in Europe and run of results came with a few seasons of winter football. It's important but it isn't everything. I do agree that it does help though, if I was the IFA I'd be seriously considering it for your league too, it can only help in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What about the lad that elbowed Hawkins in the face within the first few minutes? Surely thats "dirty"?
    God

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EnDai
    What about the lad that elbowed Hawkins in the face within the first few minutes? Surely thats "dirty"?
    Actually, I don't believe in was an elbow. It appeared to me as a bit of a "coming together". There didn't appear to be anything violent, and if I know the incident to which you're referring, that was Parkhouse. He's a big lad, who is quite big and strong, but he's a bit clumsy when challenging for balls in the air. He's not dirty, by any stretch of the imagination.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Actually, I don't believe in was an elbow. It appeared to me as a bit of a "coming together".
    Ah, it looked an elbow now alright.

Using your logic, Shels #15 should have been off, having attempted to con the ref on two separate occasions.
    Should have been booked after one and he wouldn't have done it again. In any case, that would've made it 8 on 10.

On the subject of conning the ref, McCallion dived to get Stuart Byrne booked in the first half as well.

On the game, I think the two teams' playing styles were evident, match fitness or no. Shels created most of their chances by taking the ball down and playing it around, while Glens largely hoofed up the pitch. I think that even in mid-season for both teams (which for now can only be purely hypothetical), Shels would win. And they're currently supposed to be going through a bad spell.

Incidentally, I find it ironic how you'll all slag Shels fans for being arrogant (especially on ilf.net, but here to an extent also), but now after you've been played off the park, there's a fair bit of bad losership being posted... Glens' first corner came with ten minutes to go, they had no shots no goal until the scored (with 13 minutes to go) and had their keeper and the ref to thank for keeping them in the game. There's only so much summer soccer can be responsible for, I'm afraid...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thought Shels were comfortable and whether it was due to fitness or being better footballers the fact is they were far superior to Glens. The Glens goal was a very soft one to give away and if Shels hadn't tried to walk the ball in theywould have come away fairly comfortable winners. The tie is still alive but on the basis of last night's match Shels should be checking out accommodation in Bucharest.

As for the dirt of the Glens - thought they were very prone to jumping and tackling with elbows up. The lad should have walked for the penalty.

By the way, hand ball is not a yellow card offence. Hoolihan was booked for unsporting behaviour (he handled it to stop a quick counter attack). The Glens lad handled it to bring it under control, that's just a free kick.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Shels were definitely the better team. Wes Hoolahan was my MOTM, I thought he played really well the whole game and he even defended well towards the end. Elliott Morris was Glens best player, he kept them in the tie.

I think Shels will win return leg.

Now people can't complain about Jayo's European record....
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    The ref was Greek what can you expect?
    Why is his nationality relevant?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Well done shels on last night but it must not stop there....cork and longford have to get something tonight especially longford they have it tough welsh football not to bad liverpool only scored three last night!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    By the way can any Glens fan give us an estimate of the crowd? How many Shels lads went up for this one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    By the way can any Glens fan give us an estimate of the crowd? How many Shels lads went up for this one?
    saw in another thread that about 2500-3000 at the game with 400-450 shels fans.

crowd restricted because of terraces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DE TOWN
    saw in another thread that about 2500-3000 at the game with 400-450 shels fans.

crowd restricted because of terraces.
    The Shels stand looked like it was only half full.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    The Shels stand looked like it was only half full.
    yeah i know, but id say that was "shels stand" with no glentoran fans allowed in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That stand holds about 2,000 and was only allowed for Shels fans, of which there were about 450.
    God

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast