Thread: LOI in Europe 2022

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I'm not a Rovers fan.

What did having a go in Europe do for the other clubs this year? How are they doing in the group stage?

They are in the group stages. This is unusual for an Irish club. Every other club in the league has achieved less than them in Europe this year and would love to be in their position.

You're like a dog with a bone. It's fascinating.

Couldn?t get there because they had a tougher route to qualification? Look who Rovers actually had to beat to get to the conference league, the fact they make it out to be some achievement just sums up their lack of ambition.

It?s not unusual, Dundalk did afew years ago remember?

What is unusual is for an Irish team as bad as this Rovers side be in Europe, they really are an embarrassment to the league. The losses I wouldn?t be worried by if they at least tried to be competitive but they really just aren?t bothered. It would be less bad if they were playing decent sides but the 3 sides they are playing really aren?t very good, of course Rovers make any side look good in Europe with how terrible they are but in actuality they really arent.

Every other team in Europe from Ireland had much tougher fixtures in Europe and yes they would love to be in Europe and would show far more respect than Rovers would have.

Because every single argument you make always is just a deflection, so much so that I need to repeat it and hope it reaches into you?re brain some how unless you just don?t have a functioning one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    CSAD Man, go smoke a joint or have a beer or whatever it is you like to do to chill but you seriously got to relax. It?s just a football forum full of ageing dudes, who still get their kicks from talking balls on a football platform, like it is still the noughties. It really is not worth getting that worked up over.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    CSAD Man, go smoke a joint or have a beer or whatever it is you like to do to chill but you seriously got to relax. It?s just a football forum full of ageing dudes, who still get their kicks from talking balls on a football platform, like it is still the noughties. It really is not worth getting that worked up over.
    I can tell it?s aging dudes based on the lack of understanding of basic information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    What about Keena? Yes he is in contract but that has not stopped Sligo selling in the past for the right fee. You need a finisher and he has done very well this season in the league. Only 23 and 18 goals across all competitions. Is he worth splashing the cash vs the potential rewards from Europe?
    During our game a couple of weeks ago all the Shams players were encouraging him to move to the dark side. I do think he would be very good there. Release clause is only for English clubs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I'd rather go with the UEFA's description of Rovers this week as "the undisputed giants of the Irish game."

I agree, Yes they are the undisputed Giants of the Irish game but remember.
    In Ireland Rovers are a big fish in a small pond and in Europe they are a very small fish in a big pond. It will be like this for Irish clubs for another 2-3 years at least. We just don't have the quality but it is getting better year on year. I always wish all Irish clubs well when they play in Europe and look forward to when we can really compete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Admin note : I know the speed of moderation doesn't keep up with some of the nonsense but please don't stoop to level of some posters in retaliation. Use the report function please.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    And there you go again deflecting from the point of the discussion, I?ll try repeating to make sure that little brain of your?s is working properly?Winning in the league with this squad is NOT and achievement, it?s to be expected. Winning against Hibernians and Shkupi is NOT an achievement it?s to be expected. The only reason you make it out to be an achievement is because you set the bar so low that it?s considered an achievement.

This would be accurate if Dundalk during their 2 seasons in Europe also were as bad but they were far better against far better opposition. You don?t need quality, the teams you are playing against aren?t very good, this Rovers team is just incapable of competing against anyone who is in any way half decent. It?s easy against teams like Shkupi and Hibernians.

Is it getting better, this Rovers team is by far the worst Irish team ever to compete in Europe.

You will never be competing when Bradley as the manager, you?ll compete against teams you should be beating and get beat by any side that is similar or a higher level. This side with Bradley is so laughably bad coaching wise that any half decent or average side will take them apart.
    I think you have missed something. I didn't deflect from anything. I replied to a previous post. The first paragraph was from that post. My post said Rovers are a big fish in a small pond while in Europe they are a very small fish in a big pond. You just ranted it using different words and jargon.
    Rovers have certainly not done well in Europe in fact it was abysmal but I do still believe in 2-3 years an Irish team will break through and do well in Europe and I'm not saying winning a trophy I'm clearly saying doing well scoring goals and winning matches in the group stages.
    As for my small brain, we'll even I know you should be standing in the corner wearing a pointed hat.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I think you have missed something. I didn't deflect from anything. I replied to a previous post. The first paragraph was from that post. My post said Rovers are a big fish in a small pond while in Europe they are a very small fish in a big pond. You just ranted it using different words and jargon.
    Rovers have certainly not done well in Europe in fact it was abysmal but I do still believe in 2-3 years an Irish team will break through and do well in Europe and I'm not saying winning a trophy I'm clearly saying doing well scoring goals and winning matches in the group stages.
    As for my small brain, we'll even I know you should be standing in the corner wearing a pointed hat.
    I repeatedly say the issues are little to do with the league?

What do you pose as a defense - continue to use the league as a defense.

You?re one and only defense in Europe was immediately debunked by the fact Dundalk have 2 times been able to compete at an even higher level. When was the last time Rovers beat anyone of significance in a game that actually matter? Dundalk beat BATE,Maccabi, Sheriff etc?what result does Bradley have that?s even remotely comparable to this? Let me guess?beating Shkupi, Wowowowow stop the phone?.

And Dundalk were a small fish in an even bigger pond yet we?re never as utterly hopeless as this Rovers side is.

They?ve been beyond abysmal, embarrassment/disgrace would be a better word to use. True and that side won?t be a Stephen Bradley managed Rovers side, either they?ll finally get common sense and sack him or another team breaks through. And that was all achieved already by Dundalk if you remember, scored in 5 out of 6 games in the EL last year and managed RO compete against AZ ,Maccabi & Zenit in 2016. That?s the bench mark.

You don?t seem understand basic English from my posts that even a JC student would know which makes me question you?re brain size or knowledge in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    2011 numb nuts.
    Aw, you got me bang to rights using your tactics, I mean talking through me hoop authoritatively. But congratulations, you read the post, replied, with a fact no less and it was even pertinent.

Now hypothetical speaking would 2011 rovers or 2016 Dundalk have been as expansive and brilliant 🙄 in Europe if they had to play all their group games before the end of the league season? Or would pragmatism have become fashionable?

2011, was that the year of that Norwegian documentary about your kind? That was a good show, I think I put it in the recommended watch thread at the time. Maybe it was 2010...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Aw, you got me bang to rights using your tactics, I mean talking through me hoop authoritatively. But congratulations, you read the post, replied, with a fact no less and it was even pertinent.

Now hypothetical speaking would 2011 rovers or 2016 Dundalk have been as expansive and brilliant 🙄 in Europe if they had to play all their group games before the end of the league season? Or would pragmatism have become fashionable?

2011, was that the year of that Norwegian documentary about your kind? That was a good show, I think I put it in the recommended watch thread at the time. Maybe it was 2010...
    No tactics just using Wikipedia, which maybe you being an old timer maybe haven?t heard of.

Yes they would have because they actually had a good manager.

What are you even talking about anymore, wise up for once on this forum.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Admin note : I know the speed of moderation doesn't keep up with some of the nonsense but please don't stoop to level of some posters in retaliation. Use the report function please.
    How come you weren?t as quick to act when someone called me a R-tard on here?

Is that just an acceptable word to use in you?re world, or are you just selective on who you police on here?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I repeatedly say the issues are little to do with the league?

What do you pose as a defense - continue to use the league as a defense.

You?re one and only defense in Europe was immediately debunked by the fact Dundalk have 2 times been able to compete at an even higher level. When was the last time Rovers beat anyone of significance in a game that actually matter? Dundalk beat BATE,Maccabi, Sheriff etc?what result does Bradley have that?s even remotely comparable to this? Let me guess?beating Shkupi, Wowowowow stop the phone?.

And Dundalk were a small fish in an even bigger pond yet we?re never as utterly hopeless as this Rovers side is.

They?ve been beyond abysmal, embarrassment/disgrace would be a better word to use. True and that side won?t be a Stephen Bradley managed Rovers side, either they?ll finally get common sense and sack him or another team breaks through. And that was all achieved already by Dundalk if you remember, scored in 5 out of 6 games in the EL last year and managed RO compete against AZ ,Maccabi & Zenit in 2016. That?s the bench mark.

You don?t seem understand basic English from my posts that even a JC student would know which makes me question you?re brain size or knowledge in general.
    I never said or implied it would be Rovers who make the breakthrough in Europe. You seem to have a loathing hatred for Rovers so now I hope they do. It'll sicken your ar*e. From your tone and you belief you are a higher authority to everyone I would assume you operate on this forum under two names??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I never said or implied it would be Rovers who make the breakthrough in Europe. You seem to have a loathing hatred for Rovers so now I hope they do. It'll sicken your ar*e. From your tone and you belief you are a higher authority to everyone I would assume you operate on this forum under two names??
    Oh Rovers definitely won?t be, Nope I have a loathe hatred for teams that accept mediocrity and have no ambition. And I wouldn?t hope if I was you, you?re going to be disappointed and arse will be fine.

Nope wrong and not for the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    How come you weren?t as quick to act when someone called me a R-tard on here?

Is that just an acceptable word to use in you?re world, or are you just selective on who you police on here?
    As I said if you have an issue, report and it will be dealt with. I don't read every single post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    The frustration from some posters over Shamrock Rover's conference league campaign so far is somewhat justified. There's a feeling that they are just going out for a run around, knowing they'l get beaten, and it's handy money anyway. That's not going to capture the imagination of the wider public. To that, SRFC fans would rightly say "So what. Winning the league gets us back there". But if they are as toothless and hapless in next years EL/ECL group stages, should they get there, being just happy to take the cheque and lose, it will hardly be a surprise if people aren't praising them from the rooftops for their anaemic displays. Now, it's possibly been forgotten and glossed over,even, that SRFC actually do have a point in the group so far, and it represents their first-earned point in a group stage competition. So that IS progress. But Dundalk EL 2016 were 10 times more fun to watch, and they really tried, whereas I feel SRFC have not tried, not really. Maybe that is apples and oranges by comparison but they shoud have had more ambition this year than "Ah well, sure we were going to lose anyway." as happened away to Molde. Also, it's distasteful that some posters are accusing each other of being egregious embeciles, and it would be nice to be fair and frank on here without personal jibes being involved.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 15/10/2022 at 12:37 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    The frustration from some posters over Shamrock Rover's conference league campaign so far is somewhat justified. There's a feeling that they are just going out for a run around, knowing they'l get beaten, and it's handy money anyway. That's not going to capture the imagination of the wider public. To that, SRFC fans would rightly say "So what. Winning the league gets us back there". But if they are as toothless and hapless in next years EL/ECL group stages, should they get there, being just happy to take the cheque and lose, it will hardly be a surprise if people aren't praising them from the rooftops for their anaemic displays. Dundalk EL 2016 were 10 times more fun to watch, and they really tried. Maybe that is apples and oranges by comparison but they shoud have had more ambition this year than "Ah well, sure we were going to lose anyway." as happened away to Molde. It's distasteful that some posters are accusing each other of being egregious embeciles, and it would be nice to be fair and frank on here without personal jibes being involved.
    This is 100% the point, even the Dundalk 2020 EL group stage team really tried, back to my point 'Had a Go', that night in Vienna Oct 2020, lost 4-3, I think we were the only club that night to score more than 2 and not get a result, and yes fully aware lost all 6 games, but again we had a go.

My u10 team this am lost 5-1 and I told them they were great for the last 5 as they had a go and got a goal back, they tried harder than Rovers have in the group stage !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    I remember in 1994, Ray Treacy took a lot of stick after losing 7-0 to Gornik Zabrze in the European Cup - fans shouting stuff like "Are you going to win the league so we can get embarrassed in Europe again?" It feels like this season's results are quite comparable, but the viewpoint is the polar opposite.

I get that Europe has changed a lot since then and it's important to win the league so you can get an easy run to the groups, pick up another €3m and use that to consistently qualify - but against that I think Rovers fans are being excessively defensive of Bradley and his team selections. Granted Derry have improved a bit, but I don't think the title race should be quite so close at this stage. And given Rovers' crowds and recent Euro funds, they really should have built a squad capable of competing on two fronts at this stage.

I think that discussion can happen without Rovers fans calling people bitter and twisted and without CSAD questioning "you're [sic] brain size or knowledge in general".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    I think the bitter and twisted comments are mostly reacting to some ridiculous OTT stuff. The league would have been over sooner if we hadn't been without our 3 most creative players Burke Byrne and mandroiu for most of the season.
    That's what has led to Bradley playing weaker teams in Europe and I'm not being over defensive of him by saying he is doing the right thing I actually believe it is in the long term interest of the club. Before he named the team away to molde I qas calling for a team of 19s to play. Other fans might not care about the long term benefit to the club of making groups two years in a row (hopefully) and might prefer we weren't prioritising the league and that's fir enough. Different perspectives from different fans, there is no need for the hysterics on display though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    This is 100% the point, even the Dundalk 2020 EL group stage team really tried, back to my point 'Had a Go', that night in Vienna Oct 2020, lost 4-3, I think we were the only club that night to score more than 2 and not get a result, and yes fully aware lost all 6 games, but again we had a go.

My u10 team this am lost 5-1 and I told them they were great for the last 5 as they had a go and got a goal back, they tried harder than Rovers have in the group stage !
    You're keeping it civil oriel, fair play. I'm not sure bringing up the 2020 Dundalk team is helpful though. You weren't competing for the league so it's not apples for apples. In fact you got smashed in the league at home 4-0 by a team with half your budget that year while you focused on your game with KI. The cup isn't the league in terms of level of effort. Especially not when you win your semi 11-0. You also lost all your games so it wasn't exactly a roaring success. Others keep mentioning the MON rovers team as if they actually came close to winning the group. They were comfortably beaten by Spurs reserves in reality.

If we weren't competing for the league we'd go out hell for leather away from home. As it is we've priorities elsewhere and still managed to be competitive in our home group games, something which is being overlooked here as it doesn't fit the narrative. We drew with the top team in the group and played well against arguably the strongest team on paper this week. We played our game and created enough chances. The talk of needing a striker is fair and maybe Gaffney would have made the difference but we really need to get points against Drogs and he is better suited to that than other options. Our worst results aren't as bad as the 4-0 you took off us in Oriel in 2020. You'd swear we were going down 9-0 reading this thread. We're poor away from home all the same, no question and it needs to be fixed.

If we'd gotten the win against Djurgardens we might be looking at things differently but as it is, we've taken a fairly ruthless approach to focus on the league. Agree or not it doesn't bother me much. As I said earlier, I want the league not a moral victory or two in Europe.

To your earlier question on whether or not Jack has shown his class in the groups, the answer is no sadly. He's barely showed his class in the league and that is part of the issue. He hasn't been the same since the back and covid issues he got in 2020. Ironically the best example of him struggling was in the cup you won. He was anonymous that day and hasn't really gotten close to his best level since. He's had a few good assists and passages of play when he gets enough time on the ball but he either needs more time to get back there or.......well he's still a good loi player, just not a lad you'd coast to a league with or who might help you punch above your weight in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    But surely this was completely diff, we played the u19's / B team / tea lady managed team and lost 4-0 indeed, but that was a one off game to ensure team was fresh for EL play off. We are talking about 3-4 consistent not having a go displays now by Rovers in group stage.

Ps the A team put the record straight with a 4-2 win v Rovers 3 months later in the cup final, easily the better team after 90 mins and most of ET.

And finally I want Rovers to do much better in the group stage, it reflects better on our league for better performances, not just results.
    Last edited by oriel; 15/10/2022 at 5:07 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).