Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Nations League - Group B1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    benno - stop talking. Seriously.

Could we invite Ukrainian players over to play in the LoI? What sort of crap is that? Their focus is on defending their homeland. Football is not important right now. Football is not the be all and end all - that really shouldn't be a tricky concept to grasp.

The FAI can help out with "Other" and "Novelty"? Those needs are utterly irrelevant when there's a fight on for food/water - and survival. Actually living through another day. If you spend your day focussing on basic needs, the more mundane ones become irrelevant.

Do you think Ukrainians would really be interested in watching a football game right now? Sleeping in underground stations, seeing reports of the genocidal Russians coming ever closer, hearing the bombs outside, wondering if family and friends and homes are ok or are blown to smithereens? Wondering how long all this will go on for? Wondering where your next meal is going to come from?

Again - perspective is needed here.
    I imagine the time will come when the people of Ukraine will want a football match as much as the besieged people of Sarajevo wanted to hold a beauty pageant in 1993, and that I think we should make some preparations to fulfil the fixture until such times as they tell us that they don't want to play the game. I note that they have asked for the Scotland game to be postponed rather than cancelled.

If they want to play the game, would you seriously suggest that we say no?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    The time for a game of football will come - but it's hardly now. We are making preparations for the games - easy to do when we have four games in June anyway; we just prepare for the other two.

I have never suggested we refuse to play the game if the Ukrainians are ok to play. What I have said is that they clearly don't want to play now and that fanciful drivel like bringing their players here to while away the time in the LoI is really, really unhelpful and ignorant of the reality on the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    The time for a game of football will come - but it's hardly now. We are making preparations for the games - easy to do when we have four games in June anyway; we just prepare for the other two.

I have never suggested we refuse to play the game if the Ukrainians are ok to play. What I have said is that they clearly don't want to play now and that fanciful drivel like bringing their players here to while away the time in the LoI is really, really unhelpful and ignorant of the reality on the ground.
    I am very well aware of the reality on the ground. This shows all the signs of becoming a protracted conflict. The Russians are making very little progress, and even if that changes and they start taking towns and cities, they will almost certainly face a better armed and bigger version of the sort of insurgency I've already lived through once. But that's all wildly off topic.

In time those footballers will be able to offer much more to their country by giving hope to the guys in the trenches, rather than by joining them there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I am very well aware of the reality on the ground. This shows all the signs of becoming a protracted conflict.
    Then why in the name of God are you suggesting the game could be played in Lviv?

And why are you coming up with fanciful stuff about the FAI signing the Ukrainian players to LoI teams just so they can fulfill a meaningless game of football in three months' time?

I'd argue that, unfortunately, at this stage being in the trenches is much more valuable than spreading hope and joy through football. It's a war.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Let the man talk Pineapple.

And stop speaking for & indeed prescribing for, the people of Ukraine while you're at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    They're both doing that though?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Let the man talk Pineapple.

And stop speaking for & indeed prescribing for, the people of Ukraine while you're at it.
    I'm going off the Ukrainian FA wanting the March games postponed because of the domestic situation regarding players. That's not me speaking for anyone. That's me taking what the Ukrainian FA have said, and arguing that it's clear that stuff like planning for the game to go ahead in Lviv, or saying "ah sure they should play the game to keep people in good spirits" or "let's move the players to the LoI so they can keep match fit" is not remotely helpful.

I haven't, as backs has suggested, said that if they want to play the game, we should say no. I'm suggesting we respect what they're asking for at the moment and stop trying to shoehorn a football match into their situation unnecessarily.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 04/03/2022 at 2:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Editing posts at the first sign of trouble? just as well for the Ukrainians that you're not fighting in Kharkiv Pineapple....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Then why in the name of God are you suggesting the game could be played in Lviv?
    Because the war isn't in Lviv. The distance between Kyiv and Lviv is massive. It would be like us moving a game from Dublin to Brest in France.

The Russians are held up in from of Kiev, and are being beaten back every time they attempt to approach the city. If that continues it may be possible to play 300 miles away in Lviv, which would allow the sporting integrity of Ukraine enjoying home advantage in one of the games to be retained. And if Lviv becomes impossible, the logistics of shifting across the border to Kraków make that a decent fall back option. If this game is going to be played in June certain logistics like flights and hotel bookings will have to be done sooner rather than later.

This is horrific, but it isn't a unique. War is a constant in the world, and football carries on in whatever way it can. Guys like Mo Salah and Edouard Mendy go to some pretty hairy places representing their country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Because the war isn't in Lviv. The distance between Kyiv and Lviv is massive. It would be like us moving a game from Dublin to Brest in France.

The Russians are held up in from of Kiev, and are being beaten back every time they attempt to approach the city. If that continues it may be possible to play 300 miles away in Lviv, which would allow the sporting integrity of Ukraine enjoying home advantage in one of the games to be retained. And if Lviv becomes impossible, the logistics of shifting across the border to Kraków make that a decent fall back option. If this game is going to be played in June certain logistics like flights and hotel bookings will have to be done sooner rather than later.

This is horrific, but it isn't a unique. War is a constant in the world, and football carries on in whatever way it can. Guys like Mo Salah and Edouard Mendy go to some pretty hairy places representing their country.
    The one thing being in a job where you're privy to sensitive information, is not being able to share/debunk some absolutely "out-there" thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    The one thing being in a job where you're privy to sensitive information, is not being able to share/debunk some absolutely "out-there" thinking.
    And they all think you are "just" the ice cream guy.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Much more than that sweetie. I put the cherry on the sundae.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    Been away from the forum most of the day.
    If the situation continues as it is, there's no way the game will go ahead in Ukraine. Stop arguing otherwise, it's crass and disrespectful, at best.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    It's not neither faux, nor outrage, just disappointment. There's a time and place for levity, maybe not just now.

I appreciate you're trying to be helpful... but... um... which half? Help a fella out, like.

In fairness, you both have a better moral compass than FIFA.
    I’m really not trying to be helpful
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    UEFA have already announced all Ukrainian games are on neutral ground, so it won't be Lviv. And Kingdom has rightly pointed out the insurance issues of playing in Ukraine

Putin has said he wants to take all of Ukraine, so you can't judge what'll happen in three months. We might have nuclear war, Ukraine might have repelled Russia, Putin might have accidentally shot himself in the head three times. It's far too far away to be planning for it. And if/when they do get back to playing games, the World Cup playoffs will be their priority. If they're in June, there's no space for our game.

Africa can be a basket case for sure, but I'd challenge you to name an African country as bad as Ukraine right now. South Sudan maybe? They're already playing in a neutral venue.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 04/03/2022 at 7:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Editing posts at the first sign of trouble? just as well for the Ukrainians that you're not fighting in Kharkiv Pineapple....
    Can't remember what was edited, but you can see it was in two minutes of the post, so probably a typo...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Poland is an obvious option for Ukraine to play their 'home' NL games should it come to that.
    The hopes for Ukraine now making the WC play offs depending on a request for postponement whilst war is raging in their homeland look forlorn in my opinion.

Why not Uefa invite the Ukraine ladies team to take Russia's place in the Euro finals even if they have suffered the ignominy of being beaten by NI in a play off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Any chance of us having new kits for the Nations League?

This stuff is just horrendous. From the jerseys (1990 rip-off) to the training gear to the lounge gear

https://www.elverys.ie/Elverys/Footb...1?cat=Football
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

This stuff is just horrendous. From the jerseys (1990 rip-off) to the training gear to the lounge gear

Sweet jesus
    Who designed that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

Bohs: We got Marley!
    FAI: Hold my beer!

22. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast