Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1178

Thread: Third Tier Talk - A Championship Mk II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    It's a bit of a run out of Kilkenny, but it's a fine little ground. Wouldn't take a huge amount to get it up to scratch again.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    It's a bit of a run out of Kilkenny, but it's a fine little ground. Wouldn't take a huge amount to get it up to scratch again.
    I doubt its as far out of Kilkenny as Bishopsgate is out of Longford Nigel! Shocked to see how diplated the ground has become. Last time I was there was 21years ago when Kilkenny City knocked us out of the FAI Cup in 02/03 season!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I doubt its as far out of Kilkenny as Bishopsgate is out of Longford Nigel! Shocked to see how diplated the ground has become. Last time I was there was 21years ago when Kilkenny City knocked us out of the FAI Cup in 02/03 season!
    It's a fair bit out of the town Marty! Certainly not something I'd be walking anyway. About 4km out of the town centre. I was down around the ground a couple of years ago, but last was inside Buckley Park at the end of 2007 season with a big Harps crowd that night. Superb stand behind the goal that would rival anything in either division currently.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    It's a fair bit out of the town Marty! Certainly not something I'd be walking anyway. About 4km out of the town centre. I was down around the ground a couple of years ago, but last was inside Buckley Park at the end of 2007 season with a big Harps crowd that night. Superb stand behind the goal that would rival anything in either division currently.
    The entrance to Buckley park is up the same lane as a nursing home off the Kilkenny to Callan road around 4km from the City Centre. The entrance is incredibly easy to miss as it isn't signposted at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    We don’t know what the criteria is for the third tier, we may not need a stand...
    https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2022/1...als-on-sunday/
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Now that the FAI have formally approved Mayo FC for the 2023/24 season, maybe they could start in the Third Tier Proposal, if it ever gets established!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Further in what I posted the submission seemed to indicate that Buckley Park is in an area earmarked for development of housing and amenities. That would presumably help with the accessibility of the ground from the town - it's probably a similar distance from the town as Monaghan was.

That's one of the issues for clubs like Longford and Wexford I feel, it's an effort to get to the ground to arrange a lift etc. so it's very easy for crowds to drop off when things aren't going well.

In saying that if that stand can be salvaged and the pitch re-sown you'd think it would be the best option rather than building a whole new ground.

Apparently it is privately owned though, so a lot would depend on what the owner's wishes are.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Now that the FAI have formally approved Mayo FC for the 2023/24 season, maybe they could start in the Third Tier Proposal, if it ever gets established!

Only for the Men's U14 and U15 leagues, so you'd imagine a senior team is probably at least 4 years away for them.

The women's senior team could be sooner than that if their u17 entry is successful. The Women's league is very young in any case so it wouldn't surprise me if they were entering into 2025/26 senior season.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    We don’t know what the criteria is for the third tier, we may not need a stand...
    https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2022/1...als-on-sunday/
    Am I the only one who thinks that 'CK United' is a terrible name for a football club ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Unlike last season, there doesn't seem to be any new edition of the Licensing Manual on the FAI website - at least then, a person could track the timetable to see the deadlines Kerry had to meet, whereas now we don't know about any third-tier schedule if/when it does go ahead next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that 'CK United' is a terrible name for a football club ?
    Nope.

If they didn't want to be associated with a single town or county only (makes sense), then I think they should have gone for something like "South East Celtic FC" - a bit anodyne perhaps, but they could capitalise on being the only "Celts" in the LOI.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Nope.

If they didn't want to be associated with a single town or county only (makes sense), then I think they should have gone for something like "South East Celtic FC" - a bit anodyne perhaps, but they could capitalise on being the only "Celts" in the LOI.
    KilCarlow FC / CarlKenny FC?

Not The Irish Sea FC?

I'll get my coat...

There's surely got to be an opportunity for a team here called the Irish Rovers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I was bemoaning the fact on our forum that we have Wexford FC, Kerry FC and now Mayo FC.

Terribly unimaginative names - I understand that they don't want the new entity to be associated with (Castlebar) Celtic or (Westport) United in Mayo's case but 'Kingdom FC' could have been a bit different for Kerry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    'Kingdom FC' could have been a bit different for Kerry.
    Or even "Kerry Kings FC" - at least until they get (ahem) deposed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    There's surely got to be an opportunity for a team here called the Irish Rovers?
    Aye, but don't you know the fate which befell the original Irish Rover?

Sure even the poor oul dog was drowned...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    KilCarlow FC / CarlKenny FC?

Not The Irish Sea FC?

I'll get my coat...

Are you trying to upset the sligo lads? they are a bit sensitive on this issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    For years the First Division only had 3 series of fixtures, e.g. 27 games in 2019. The Premier Division and First Division both have 36 games this year. 11 teams playing 30 games wouldn't be ideal. Cutting 3 home games each.
    With the Premier Division and First Division having a 36 game strong season, the third tier should build on that. Unexpected situations can arise. If there are 2 or 3 clubs with a First Division licence in a third tier, if any LoI club suffers an unexpected situation, a club can be ready to take their place in the following year. Where everything is going hunky dory, there can be a playoff mechanism from the third tier to First Division.
    The number of potential first teams clubs in a third tier stands at 3. Kildare, CK and Mayo. Kildare and CK are likely to be the first two ready to join. The tipping point for a third tier then will be at least 6 LoI clubs fully committed to entering a second team. The running costs show be as low as entering an U19 team. The main additional cost will be the travel costs for a national league, as opposed to the regional leagues at youth level.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    With this new proposed 3rd tier does that mean relegation from the 1st Div? That was one criticism the last time this was launched in 09!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    You'd expect and hope so, whether that would be automatically or after a play-off could be decided later, when the number of interested first teams becomes clear.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The FAI are to create a third tier for the for the upcoming League of Ireland season, in which an adult Mayo FC team could potentially compete in their first year.
    "It’s a better launching pad for a young Mayo League of Ireland team, rather than being thrown in at the deep end and being hockeyed every week,” said a source
    https://www.mayonews.ie/news/home/12...tablished.html
    A source in Mayo seems to expect a third tier in 2024 and that Mayo FC will join that tier in 2026.
    Promotion and relegation between the current First Division and the new third tier is on the cards but the reserve sides of existing League of Ireland clubs won’t move up or down.
    The Irish Mirror have suggested since the third tier talk first started that there is likely to be promotion/relegation.

Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast