Page 79 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 2355

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Talk of Dundalk losing a number loan players due to being recalled with the good form they've shown. Willams is back with his parent club with his injury also, with no indication that he could return after recovery. It'd seriously disrupt any push for a European slot.
    I assume you mean in July?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I assume you mean in July?
    Yes but there was some confusion as someone in the UK reported the recall asuming it would be at their season end rather than the opening of our transfer window 1st July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    The only real threat there would be Stephen Bradley surely?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is it fair to compare the best outcome of staying with Rovers to the worst outcome of moving abroad?
    Risk v Reward

10 years ago, would be just go. Now, with SK as Ireland manager and a path to getting there laid out, not so straightforward.

Zero risk in staying. Worst case? Few years of losing in europe, but still qualifying. Some else manages to get european performances and their stock goes higher. Take a good offer when it comes.

Going has tonnes of risk, whatever about QOL, maybe more money but a backwards step in ambitions on national team job.
    And best case? Within the three years you've got promotion, and are looking to get backed for another three to consolidate and maybe get competitive at higher level, or hoping a better offer comes in.

So 'risk v reward', bit like deciding if you're going to quote the comment you're replying to, like a normal person. Or just leave it floating, in case the fecker decides to engage with you

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    So 'risk v reward', bit like deciding if you're going to quote the comment you're replying to, like a normal person. Or just leave it floating, in case the fecker decides to engage with you
    Well I didn't feel it necessary to quote you as mine was the post immediately after yours - I figured it'd be obvious!

But just in case, I'll quote you here so you don't get too confused.

Take a good offer when it comes.

Going has tonnes of risk, maybe more money but a backwards step in ambitions on national team job.
    I presume you don't think Lincoln is a good offer?

If the definition of a good offer abroad is one without tonnes of risk, you'll be waiting a long while for one. I don't see how it could be a backwards step in terms of the national team either. There's a lot of Ireland players in L1 at the moment. Not many in the LoI though.

I think the impact Bradley has had in the LoI is a long way Kenny's, so I don't think that he could necessarily go from Rovers to the Ireland job. In that regard, when you ask about best case - well, the Lincoln manager from 2016 to 2019 got picked up by Huddersfield (didn't go well) and is now at Portsmouth. Both clearly a step up from Lincoln, so it can be done.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 12/05/2022 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Well I didn't feel it necessary to quote you as mine was the post immediately after yours - I figured it'd be obvious!
    You asked if it was fair to compare best case of staying with worst case of going, I laid out why it's reasonable to do such a thing.

Outside of football there a lot of people could get better paying jobs elsewhere, but work life balance, extra work/hours/travel or maybe not being able to get back into a niche field mean the risk outweighs the rewards for them. Dare I say it but for one our football managers to be able to make a decision like that... seems like progress.

But just in case, I'll quote you here so you don't get too confused.

I presume you don't think Lincoln is a good offer?

If the definition of a good offer abroad is one without tonnes of risk, you'll be waiting a long while for one. I don't see how it could be a backwards step in terms of the national team either. There's a lot of Ireland players in L1 at the moment. Not many in the LoI though.
    You've taken the bit you quoted out of context, it was as part of the worst case - there'd still be an offer, he'd just have to be less discerning.

From what I've heard the offer was good.

I think the impact Bradley has had in the LoI is a long way Kenny's, so I don't think that he could necessarily go from Rovers to the Ireland job. In that regard, when you ask about best case - well, the Lincoln manager from 2016 to 2019 got picked up by Huddersfield (didn't go well) and is now at Portsmouth. Both clearly a step up from Lincoln, so it can be done.
    I agree on Bradley's impact and his current chance's of the Ireland job. But a couple of good showings at group stages of european football can get your name in the hat.

However the same goes for any manager in the league. The easiest way to raise their profile is by results in europe. I'm not suggesting that's easy, but I think it would be easier than taking L1 by storm. And being in L1 leaves the door open for four or five LOI managers to try and eclipse him.

What would he have to do in L1 to rasie his profile? The Portsmouth manager took Lincoln to two promotions in three years to get back to L1. Portsmouth will be on their sixth attempt to get promoted out of L1 next season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...ional-kennedy/

Hardly a high-profile appointment. I haven't heard much about him since he stopped playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Joe Redmond signed a new contract already with Pats, seems like it's a 3 year deal. Good move from Pats to get it sorted so early as he has been excellent thus far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    You asked if it was fair to compare best case of staying with worst case of going, I laid out why it's reasonable to do such a thing.
    I think it's helped give a bit of a biased view of the options though. "Zero risk in staying" for example - don't agree with that at all. Rovers could lose to an Estonian side in Europe again. They could fall behind Derry in the league. Arguably Rovers have more ways to go down than up at the moment.

I think your comment that "a couple of good showings at group stages of european football can get your name in the hat" overlooks how hard that is. The best LoI group stage performance was 4 points in the Europa League, and that from Kenny who I think is a much better manager than Bradley. I think we have a tendency to put too much emphasis on Europe too - a good Cup run in England would be a more than equivalent comparison. Rovers last year lost to Slovan, beat Teuta of Albania and lost to Flora - that's nothing special in the greater scheme of things.

Plus I think he could learn a lot from a spell abroad, even if it doesn't work out. You could arguably view it as a requirement on the ladder to the Ireland job.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Joe Redmond signed a new contract already with Pats, seems like it's a 3 year deal. Good move from Pats to get it sorted so early as he has been excellent thus far.
    Yeah good to have him tied down long term, he’s probably been Pats Player of the Season so far. He’s played a big part in the 8 clean sheets in 15 games so far
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I think it's helped give a bit of a biased view of the options though. "Zero risk in staying" for example - don't agree with that at all. Rovers could lose to an Estonian side in Europe again. They could fall behind Derry in the league. Arguably Rovers have more ways to go down than up at the moment.
    Do you think even if both those things occurred there be a new first team boss in Tallaght next season?

I think your comment that "a couple of good showings at group stages of european football can get your name in the hat" overlooks how hard that is. The best LoI group stage performance was 4 points in the Europa League, and that from Kenny who I think is a much better manager than Bradley. I think we have a tendency to put too much emphasis on Europe too - a good Cup run in England would be a more than equivalent comparison. Rovers last year lost to Slovan, beat Teuta of Albania and lost to Flora - that's nothing special in the greater scheme of things.

Plus I think he could learn a lot from a spell abroad, even if it doesn't work out. You could arguably view it as a requirement on the ladder to the Ireland job.
    I haven't, what I said was

I agree on Bradley's impact and his current chance's of the Ireland job. But a couple of good showings at group stages of european football can get your name in the hat.

However the same goes for any manager in the league. The easiest way to raise their profile is by results in europe. I'm not suggesting that's easy, but I think it would be easier than taking L1 by storm. And being in L1 leaves the door open for four or five LOI managers to try and eclipse him.
    Anyway, now we can look forward to following Mark Kennedy's Lincoln City lighting up L1. Maybe he'll do enough to get his name in the hat next time Ireland manger's job come up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Do you think even if both those things occurred there be a new first team boss in Tallaght next season?
    Probably not, but in the greater scheme of career progression and ultimately maybe the Ireland job, it's definitely a risk.

I haven't, what I said was I think it would be easier than taking L1 by storm
    Fair enough - but why does he have to take L1 by storm? Would not a solid mid-table finish and maybe a Cup run as good as if not better than getting to the group stages of Europe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Bad news for Colm Whelan ,ruptured his cruciate ligament,hopefully he makes a good recovery

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...fXYROhi6ciO_OM

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Bad news for Colm Whelan ,ruptured his cruciate ligament,hopefully he makes a good recovery

Awful timing for him too ahead of what was looking like a promising summer move. Best of luck to him in his rehab
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post

That's really unfortunate for the chap, I assume his contract runs until the end of the season for medical treatment purposes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Ah balls. Yeah, he's contracted for the season, but this will probably mean we miss out on a transfer fee. And of course bad for Collie too.

Fortunately Tommy Lonergan - who broke his ankle in pre-season - made the bench for the first time last week, so I guess he gets thrown in and we see what happens.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    That's really bad timing for the young lad. Hopefully it won't halt his progress in the long term.
    Is Kerrigan on his way out in the summer Stu?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Don't know, but presume so. Again, he's contracted for the year afaik, so we should get a transfer fee at least.

I think we're better set for the next generation than we were three years ago though. Plenty of players (Duffy, Caffrey, even Moore in nets of late) are already coming into the first team, and the 19s won their group easing up, beating Pat's, which is always a good result. I don't see the chaos of mid 2019 when we only had two subs, for example. So if we go down (and if we don't, it'll be because Harps/Drogheda are pure muck rather than that we're any good) we should be well up there next season again. It's a bit mad how big the gap is between top half PD, lower PD, top half FD, and lower FD.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    That's brutal for Whelan. Hope he recovers well.

Wouldn't mind seeing us loan you back Farrugia until the end of the season. Might be a good move for all parties.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Thats a pity for Whelan. Caused Dundalk all sort of problems in the last match. Not nice ever to see major injuries.

Page 79 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast