Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: madonna at live8 = hypocrisy

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

madonna at live8 = hypocrisy

ok so it was supposed to be a moving moment and all, but how can a woman stand there spouting about making poverty history and fair trade, when shes wearing a DIAMOND necklace. CVonsidering the situation surrounding the diamond industry and africa, i really thought it was something of a slap in the face to the whole concept.
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomo
    ok so it was supposed to be a moving moment and all, but how can a woman stand there spouting about making poverty history and fair trade, when shes wearing a DIAMOND necklace. CVonsidering the situation surrounding the diamond industry and africa, i really thought it was something of a slap in the face to the whole concept.
    Great point and she can't sing or dance either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomo

No. If any of the acts 'pretended' to be poor, that would be hypocrisy. I'm sure she wasn't the only one who wore diamonds/expensive outfits.

If you're gonna nit-pick, how about the major acts in America, who did the gig for 'free', but got a goody bag (about $10grand worth of diamond watches, suits etc.) going home.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    No. If any of the acts 'pretended' to be poor, that would be hypocrisy. I'm sure she wasn't the only one who wore diamonds/expensive outfits.

If you're gonna nit-pick, how about the major acts in America, who did the gig for 'free', but got a goody bag (about $10grand worth of diamond watches, suits etc.) going home.
    Regarding your last paragraph, if that is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, it's a disgrace.

Thanks for letting us know that - it spoils the hell out of it for me that this happened. A pox on those who accepted that goody bag.
    noby, you have done a service in letting us know that - good man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    According to Saturdays papers anyway.

Geldof tried to keep control and consistency over every venue, but got a bit of grief over certain acts demanding prime-time slots in London. But when it came to Philadelphia, they just went and did their own thing.
    Maybe some similarities with the G8?
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby

Would like to know if she or they bothered enquiring if the diamonds was from one of the numourous mines owned by mercenaries, who recieved these from African governments in return for their sterling efforfts!
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    Would like to know if she or they bothered enquiring if the diamonds was from one of the numourous mines owned by mercenaries, who recieved these from African governments in return for their sterling efforfts!
    With Belladonna's track record, she probably rode some rich bloke who gave them to her for services rendered.

Fcuking tuneless, talentless, charisma-lacking, hawk-nosed, bottle-blonde, squeeky voiced, publicity seeking, Mockney accented, p!sspoor kids books writing, awful video creating, lousy film-making, dumb husband marrying, attention seeking, Sean Penn dumping, formerly slum living, robotic dancing wagon.

Other than that, she's grand.
    Last edited by hamish; 05/07/2005 at 7:35 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    LOL. good point pat. as for the other acts, i couldnt comment as i didnt see it. however the mere sight of madonna in diamonds, or anyone for that fact, is ridiculous, and hypocritical beyond belief IMO.

also its not a question of pretending to be poor, but to wear diamonds, considering the effect that particular industry has had on africa in recent times, is completely unacceptable. i'm not suggesting she should have worn rags, but diamonds?
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Calm down the feckin lot o' ya. As (forgive the presumption) the only one round here to have conversed with Her Madge (Mrs. PP. can vouch for this - she was there and suitably embarrassed by my opening line... ) I can safely say she's all lady. Do not knock her good intentions. Those of you that way inclined all would, if you get my drift. Whatever you all say on here.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    Calm down the feckin lot o' ya. As (forgive the presumption) the only one round here to have conversed with Her Madge (Mrs. PP. can vouch for this - she was there and suitably embarrassed by my opening line... I can safely say she's all lady. Do not knock her good intentions. Those of you that way inclined all would, if you get my drift. Whatever you all say on here.

PP
    Get up the yard PP - she's a wagon. You're a bit long in the tooth to be star-struck. LOL

Last edited by hamish; 05/07/2005 at 9:21 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    Get up the yard PP - she's a wagon. You're a bit long in the tooth to be star-struck. LOL

She's a wagon fair enough.. nice set of thruppeny bits though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    She's a wagon fair enough.. nice set of thruppeny bits though
    All the way down to her knees - saggy auld bitch. Pity gravity couldn't go in reverse order and they'd grow up into her mouth so she couldn't "sing" anymore.

Jesus, I can't stand that woman - she brings out the worst in me.

Of course, you realise, CTID, given all the abuse we're giving her, that poor Plastic Paddy is bawling into the poster he has of her on his bedroom wall.

Speaking of mature ladies, Martha Kearney is on Newsnight now - love her new hairstyle. I could listen to her all night. she is a brilliant interviewer, whatever about her good looks.
    Last edited by hamish; 05/07/2005 at 9:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Just bumped into her without make up
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    What does it matter what she wore? She is an enterainer and she sang for free. When I go to donate stuff to my local Goodwill (like St Vincent De Paul) I don't worry about what I wear just in case I might offend anyone.

Would you prefer she refuse to sing at all?
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars

Would you prefer she refuse to sing at all?
    One can only pray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish
    Just bumped into her without make up
    Is that from the ugly women site I once trolled into totty thread???

Perfect timing, though, strangeirish. Plastic Paddy, her number one fan, is now at breaking point. You're alright but he knows where I live.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How is it hypocrisy? She isn't poor, why shouldn't she wear what she wants?

We're not communists, if the stars all contributed 100% of their wealth it would achieve nothing. The likes of Geldof and Bono aren't stupid, the whole point of Live 8 was to try and get people to pay attention to the reason why they were all there.

So many people are being cynical just for the sake of it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why pick on poor old Madonna? The whole thing is a load of self-serving bullsh!t. Everyone is missing the point: it's not the debt that's the problem, it's the corruption of the African leaders that's holding the country back. Nigeria squandered as much money on oil in one year as the whole of Africa has received in aid EVER. Some of these countries are sitting on immense natural resources (eg Gabon, another oil rich country bankrupted by an inept government) and would be among the richest in the world if they were managed properly. Cancelling the debt / giving more aid Africa will not even put a dent in the poverty there, let alone consign it to history, since all the money just disappears into the pockets of Mugabe and co, the people see none of it.

I wonder if Bob's singing career had worked out like it was supposed to, would he still have cared so much about Africa?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Well said ThatGuy. Ambaiste, do you seriously think there aren't going to be strings attached to the debt cancellation?

The cynicism in here is disgusting. How many of you have given up all but the bare essentials to make poverty history?

And how many of you would be calling Geldof or Bono or Madonna scumbags if they had refused to take part?

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Poverty will never be history. There will always be rich and poor people. Any debt cancelled will just give the green light for corrupt leaders to build more lavish palaces, and more extravagant lifestlyes. The people who need aid, will still go hungry. Live 8 was a PR stunt, as Africa is a basket case, that cannot be helped.

Honestly, how many people that turned up/watched the various gigs on tv, actually give a stuff about world poverty? How many people will go to the G8 summit, to pay attention to what happens?

Very few. For most, it's just an excuse for a great big booze-up while they're there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast