Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungary v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 8th June 2021 - Friendly

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    I like Horgan. Limited, but really really up for it. And in a more controlled way than McClean.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Long ball has led to our better chances tonight, of which Duffy has played a few decent ones.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Long ball has led to our better chances tonight, of which Duffy has played a few decent ones.
    Not just long ball for the sake of it though. They’ve been measured long balls. It’s great to see a sensible mix of playing into the channels and building from the back.

We look slightly more likely to get a winner here now too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Playing some really intelligent stuff in the last 20 mins. Idah enjoying playing as a target man, getting a lot of joy. Knight has been excellent all game.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Kelleher having a cracking game here. Far better display than Bazunu's appearances to date (who in fairness didn't do too much wrong tonight)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Kelleher having a cracking game here. Far better display than Bazunu's appearances to date (who in fairness didn't do too much wrong tonight)
    He has pulled off some lovely saves.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    What game are you watching mate??
    He pulled off one good save, same as Bazunu. Your agenda against him is farcical.

Kenny should be fired. Just for bringing on Collins with a few minutes to go.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Tbf he's made 3, two of which were very good.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    So much better than Andorra it's crazy.

Comfortable defensively all night, a couple of decent saves made when they needed to be. Didn't offer a huge amount in attack, but still, a lot more solid all over the pitch.

Egan, McClean, Idah, Knight did well, as did both keepers when needed. Even Ogbene, if just for his few minutes, had a good attitude about him, just decided to run at them, go forward, take chances.

Hourihane was woeful in every way though.
    Last edited by osarusan; 08/06/2021 at 7:55 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    What game are you watching mate??
    He pulled off one good save, same as Bazunu. Your agenda against him is farcical.
    Ah would you stop. The save from the snap shot on the edge of the area. The two excellent tip-overs from close range. Another comfortable save or two from long range. Whichever way you look at it, it's far more than one good save, and with none of Bazunu's bad decisions giving heart palpitations.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    I guess that was alright? Was fully expecting a loss, but the defence played well and there was sections of decent play. But never really thought there was any chance of scoring at the other end, bar the crossbar. If they pull this off against Portugal in a few months I'll start to believe in Kenny again. Massive "if" that.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Well its been a positive few days overall. Think we've got options in most positions with some established players to come back in. Not sure we've nailed down a central midfield but hopefully McCarthy is availabe in the autumn.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Comfortable defensively all night, a couple of decent saves made when they needed to be. Didn't offer a huge amount in attack, but still, a lot more solid all over the pitch.

Egan, McClean, Idah, Knight did well, as did both keepers when needed.

Yeah, I guess Hungary trying to play a bit helped us in a way. You look at the Andorra game and it was ten men behind the ball and the onus was on us to be creative, which is a weakness we're very much aware of. At least here we could hit on the counter a bit.

I'd still be concerned about the lack of a goal threat - and I fully agree on Hourihane and I'm not sure why he was in the team after Thursday to be honest - but look; it's three games unbeaten all of a sudden.

Next up - Portugal away though. Slightly different kettle of fish... Though I guess Kenny has bought that bit of time that a defeat in Portugal (unless it's a really bad one) can be overlooked, but then Azerbaijan and Serbia at home straight after are important ones to see if this is going anywhere, or if Hungary were just in pre-tournament mode.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Kelleher likes to make a save look good in fairness. Still don’t see a lot between himself and Bazunu, looks like they’ll both be on loan next season, whoever is starting and performing at the highest level should start for us.

Overall it’s a decent performance, the defensive solidity and looking dangerous from set pieces is exactly what we’ll need in September. Knight was man of the match for me, although to be fair to Duffy he really lifted his game too.

Great impact from Ogbene, thought he should have taken on the shot himself with the second chance but maybe felt he should have passed the first time and didn’t want to make the same mistake twice.

It’s definitely an improved performance and a sign that Kenny and the team are adapting and improving. Long may it continue.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Egan, McClean, Idah, Knight did well, as did both keepers when needed.

Would agree with this. Really thought Duffy and Doherty were good too. Kelleher looked great. Knight was very good in second half. Idah did well on scraps. Good effort from McClean.

I'm a bit disappointed that Kenny is none the wiser on midfield. Hourihane is not the answer. Cullen is one I like and I would keep. But are we playing a 6 and two 8s or two 6s and a 10 or two 6s and two 8 and a halves? I know that depends on the formation but when Hourihane is so bad two games in a row, it makes the problem bigger.

Cullen and McCarthy would almost be too conservative for me but would offer something more. Hendrick has been okay in patches. Knight didn't play down the middle much in these two games but he can do it.

I think we are okay at the back and Randolph will do fine until Kelleher or Bazunu is producing at a solid level. Robinson and Connolly are yet to come back for the forward line. Ogbene did well tonight. Idah and Horgan have been fine.

It's just midfield now that is frustrating me.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Thought we were the better team and a number of good individual performances. Knight was the pick of our players, disappointing from Hourihane (again).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Keepers did well.

Ogbene looked rapid. I’d like to see him get a few more minutes.

The wing back system made us more solid, 4-3-3 doesn’t suit us at all. If Idah can get a goal or two I really think he could kick on to the next level.

I think having fans in the ground helped our players. Probably got the blood going and meant concentration levels were higher. Geez it has been missed. Bloody weird seeing so many fans at a game.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    On the midfield, I would conclude that we should have given Knight more minutes in there. And use Knight and Cullen and pick your third choice depending on formation and opposition and fitness. Cullen and Knight and McCarthy would be sound.

Knight was brilliant again for me. He is such a good footballer. He would be so good in a side like Leeds I feel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    I like Horgan. Limited, but really really up for it. And in a more controlled way than McClean.
    Undoubtedly biased but I wouldnt describe Horgan as limited, that cotrol on the chest and outside of the foot inside shows what he can do. He would worry defenders running at them and can shoot. McClean is limited, whole hearted, and is far from controlled lol. Its a while since Ive actually enjoyed a 45mins from Ireland. 60-80mins we played some very good football and some indcation of progress. Hungary are limited but will be interesting to see how the do over the next few weeks but considering where we were a nil nil is grand. Some good individual performances from the young lads that take some of the sting out of players retired. Idah ran the line well. Kelleher looks just nonchalant, composure and maturity, not taking away from Bazunu. He didnt have have loads to do but you wont have multiple heart attacks when the keeper nears the ball which is something Ive gotten used to the last while. Duffy had some great moments and badly needed for him!! All in all a lot more positives without losing the run of things.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    The problem with playing teams like Andorra is their weakness almost becomes a strength.

With Hungary tonight most of that team you could make a case for playing in the premiership/championship and are the sort of players Irish players play week in week out. With Andorra would any of their players even get into the top 4 league’s in England? Very few if any, combined with them putting everyone behind the ball and us being so low on confidence and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast