Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Live stream of France(Ireland's last opponent) V Australia(Ireland's next competitive opponent) on YouTube at 10:30
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 14/07/2023 at 12:31 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Live stream of France(Ireland's last opponent) V Australia(Ireland's next competitive opponent) on YouTube at 10:30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUKviGZvCR4
    Australia won 1-0. Meanwhile the behind closed doors friendly with Colombia was abandoned after 20mins after becoming too physical. Denise O'Sullivan was taken to hospital with a shin injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    578 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Australia won 1-0. Meanwhile the behind closed doors friendly with Colombia was abandoned after 20mins after becoming too physical. Denise O'Sullivan was taken to hospital with a shin injury.
    Friendly with Columbia Womens team I presume?
    Are they in WC?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Very much against the run of play, France were the better team. Australia looked to contain in their own half, and then break with Kerr, Vine, and Foord. Vine was causing problems with her pace in the first half, was surprised she went off at half time for Fowler. Goal came from a run down the right from Raso, who found Fowler in a load of space in the box to score from near the penalty spot.
    France had Australia pinned back in their own half for long periods, and really should have taken something from this game. When they did get forward, Australia looked disorganised in their own box, and vulnerable on the right side of defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Friendly with Columbia Womens team I presume?
    Are they in WC?
    Yeah, they're in Group H against Germany, Morocco, and South Korea
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...122599026.html

Is anyone else slightly embarrassed over this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    From the footage there, it looks like she gets hit in the ankle, but it's not great quality so hard to tell

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    It looks like there's possibly an elbow as afters too

But I agree with Diggs. It's the ref's job to ref the game. I know it was only a friendly, but you can't have players walking off the pitch at the first sight of an over-zealous tackle

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I'm talking about the team walking off the pitch

The footage is fine btw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    It's a strong challenge but nothing more than that tbh. Seems strange to walkout over that, would need to see the rest of the match footage to see how physical the Colombians were.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    There was no attempt to play the ball, much more obvious in the stills. If it was a full friendly like last week's game vs France you'd get on with it and hope the ref shows a red card but this was just a training game behind closed doors and if the Columbians were just kicking players, they had already gotten 2 yellows, then it was the right thing to pack it in. Why would you want to keep going a risk injury to the players in a nothing game. I'm assuming that it wasn't an official game where players would have received a cap?
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 16/07/2023 at 2:56 PM.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I'm assuming that it wasn't an official game where players would have received a cap?
    It's classed as a friendly on wiki anyway, same as the France game. I've seen it referred to as a training game too, but mostly by the Colombians and I wonder is that just a translation thing (after all, a friendly game is a training game really)

The other teams in our group now will know too up the physicality against us as we don't like it

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It was an unofficial friendly using local officialw. Ireland were going to play two different lineups in each half. Nothing like the French game. It was intended as a warm up training game and the Colombians decided to take out our starting 11 with their reserve team. Dead right to walk and save the players from injury as the tournament starts on thursday.

Very funny to see people commenting about women's soccer with very little knowledge. The USA fans on the NWSL or women's soccer Reddit are still moaning about Ireland's physicality in the US friendlies. We are not a soft team at all, something was off here. Vera and the FAI decided to walk and protect the players, fair enough.

If the same thing happened for the men and someone sent Evan Ferguson to hospital 4 days before the world cup, I imagine the reaction would be different...

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Its not about liking physicality or not, it's about not being stupid in a training game.

I heard Brian Kerr tell a story once about calling off a training game between The Dubs and The Culchies cos Roy wasn't happy being 4 nil down.

I wouldn't trust wiki as the source of it was an official game. I do think that if it was for official caps we'd be rightly open to sanctions for walking off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Wiki can be highly reliable in fairness.

But if, as LoIfan suggests, it was an unofficial game, then I've a bit more sympathy with it alright. But I don't agree this mightn't be used against the team.

(Though I don't agree with the Evan Ferguson comparison - Jason McAteer got a knock against a local side just before the 2002 tournament; we didn't walk off and there was no suggestion we should have)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Wiki can be highly reliable in fairness.

But if, as LoIfan suggests, it was an unofficial game, then I've a bit more sympathy with it alright. But I don't agree this mightn't be used against the team.

(Though I don't agree with the Evan Ferguson comparison - Jason McAteer got a knock against a local side just before the 2002 tournament; we didn't walk off and there was no suggestion we should have)
    Did the player target McAteer and go over top of ball like that? Was the rest of that game stupidly physical where the ref had already given out 2 yellows? We don't know, not all games are the same and comparing it to McAteer is just idiotic.

The U21s walked off against Kuwait recently too, should they have just gotten on with it cos other teams have put up with racism previously?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    The Kuwait game is slightly different in fairness, though I do think it would have been better had the ref just taken action. It's what the ref is there for. (Incidentally, Kuwait deny the racism charge, although I don't know how plausible that really is).

Players reffing games themselves is open to manipulation, like that Champions League game where Istanbulspor Basaksehir walked off against PSG on a made-up racism accusation, which covered over the fact they'd been the ones making racist remarks themselves.

McAteer's injury was caused by a really bad tackle by a Cameroon player btw, so I reject your suggestion that the comparison is idiotic. Our opening game was against Cameroon of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    At end of day this was about player safety in a meaningless training game. If the manager thought it was best not to risk her players going into a world cup then I don't think any of us keyboard warriors should even be debating it.

As for Kuwait denying the racism, Armstrong spoke about it last week. He said Killian Phillips went nuts when he heard it and Armstrong himself was almost more shocked... I believe him
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 16/07/2023 at 4:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    As I say, I'm far more inclined to agree given it was an unofficial training game. But I generally don't agree with walking off - let the ref sort it. Ditto the racism thing - and I do reckon our guys' story is right, but the Kuwaitis will believe it was just a rough match (their FA's version) and so what have we really achieved? Just send the guy off and get on with it

But let's not pretend the Ferguson comment earlier is realistic. A very similar thing did happened the men's team, and there was no reaction or suggestion we should have walked off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Jesus, just because there was a similar incident over 20 years ago doesn't mean anything. If we were playing a WC warm up game today and there were 2 footed challenges flying around and players risking injury the coaching staff would be irresponsible not to call it off. Stop trying to infer that men are tougher than the women so it wouldn't happen. If Ferguson got injured and missed a WC cup we'd all lose our sh1t.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    I am ashamed that we have this woman in charge of the women's team.

22. Thanks From:

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast