Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Im trying to imagine if the mens tem manager was barred from coaching in the USA by US officials following an investigation would he have got 100% backing within 24 hours from the FAI?
    I think the one sided coverage and dismissive nature taken by most people is highly unusual.
    I have no idea if she is guilty or not guilty but i think its amazing that our National team manager is banned from coaching in the US and no one thiks its a problem

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    Katie McCabe off injured after half an hour,hopefully only precautionary but they've given away some bad goals since,will need to defend better at the big show.......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...layer-ratings/ These are remarkably high ratings for a team who lost 3-0. Am I missing something or is objectivity gone out the window?!

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Didn’t see the game but rte and bbc live reporting both said they had a perfectly good goal disallowed at 0-0 for offside. Injury to Katie McCabe is probably another mitigating factor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Yeah, it was onside. Could clearly see it on the sport from the lines on the pitch she was behind the French defender.
    First goal came down the left, when the team was reorganizing after McCabe came off Second was a mistake from Fahey IMO. Quinn stepped out to put pressure on the ball, and left a gap, Fahey didn't cover fast enough which gave the French player a moment to take the shot
    Third was a header from a corner. Fahey should have cleared it from under the crossbar. She looked a bit off the pace during the game.
    Pauw said after the game she wasn't worried but that's eight goals conceded in five games this year, and we've only scored three, all against Zambia, and didn't have a shot on target against France
    We only conceded three goals in total in 2022

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Hot Press have announced a world cup song to be released on Friday.
    Not sure if it's an official team song
    https://www.hotpress.com/lifestyle-s...d-cup-22977688
    on that note, saw this today: https://shop.hotpress.com/products/h...ld-cup-special

not quite the iconic Paul McGrath cover but cool anyway (tried to upload the paul mcgrath image but got 'this is not a valid image' - but if you google paul mcgrath hotpress and go to images, you can see it)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    This one?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Exactly that one

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Nigerian players are threatening to boycott over a payments dispute: https://www.theguardian.com/football...ations-unravel

Some of the comments quoted there from their FA official are remarkably unprofessional.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Im trying to imagine if the mens tem manager was barred from coaching in the USA by US officials following an investigation would he have got 100% backing within 24 hours from the FAI?
    I think the one sided coverage and dismissive nature taken by most people is highly unusual.
    I have no idea if she is guilty or not guilty but i think its amazing that our National team manager is banned from coaching in the US and no one thiks its a problem
    The USA womens team did not think her presence was a problem when Ireland visited the US and played them.
    Having read the allegations as reported by the Atlantic, my opinion is that they are mostly tosh. In fact the whole article, as a so called investigative article is poorly structured. I’d interpret most of what was put forward as evidence in that article as narcissistic angst.

I have not read all what was reported in Ireland but from what I have seen, the issue was reported, she was asked some questions and she answered them openly in an unrestrained manner. She has the support of all the squad except from one player’s accusations who had long been discarded from the squad and who hasn’t been deemed good enough subsequently to play with a series of clubs.
    Since she arrived here to take charge, the transformation of the intl team has been remarkable, moving rapidly from a mid tier not good enough team to top of the 2nd tier and still improving. That took steely determination to turn that carthorse around.

She has come to this football family and it has taken her to heart, as you say yourself you don’t know if the allegations are true or not, so what to do? trust the evidence that is staring you in the face and support one of our own as a proper football fraternity should do?
    She does not look like a person who can disguise her emotions, what you see is what you get and she has deservedly gained the benefit of doubt from the court of popular opinion.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    She does not look like a person who can disguise her emotions, what you see is what you get and she has deservedly gained the benefit of doubt from the court of popular opinion.
    The accusations sound ridiculous to me. "Body-shaming"? If a player is overweight they are overweight, male or female. Loads of the Irish players have gotten into remarkably better shape under Pauw and they haven't complained. Witness Ruesha Littlejohn rolling her shorts up to show off her toned legs! Brosnan was a fair tubby yoke too and to be honest most of the rest of them. Even McCabe looks more athletic.

I think it's a load of nothing even if she made comments or whatever. We've watched and listened to her for years now and as has been said, she gets the benefit of the doubt.

(Imagine, say, an overweight Wayne Rooney returning from his hols in the past and going to the press accusing Alex Ferguson of having bodyshamed him?? :-) Sure didn't managers openly call Andy Reid too unfit??! Top level US sport, men's and women's is cut-throat competitive, for me it's a nonsense. )

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    The 1st and most important thing for any professional athlete is to be in shape, if they are not and the coach isnt calling it out the coach is not doing their job

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Whatever was stated about Andy Reid being overweight was not true, as testified by the many photos Eirebhoy posted of Andy’s girth, albeit taken from a specific angle..

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Andy was just barrel-chested, pint-sized and big-boned.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    The accusations sound ridiculous to me. "Body-shaming"? If a player is overweight they are overweight, male or female. Loads of the Irish players have gotten into remarkably better shape under Pauw and they haven't complained. Witness Ruesha Littlejohn rolling her shorts up to show off her toned legs! Brosnan was a fair tubby yoke too and to be honest most of the rest of them. Even McCabe looks more athletic.

I think it's a load of nothing even if she made comments or whatever. We've watched and listened to her for years now and as has been said, she gets the benefit of the doubt.

(Imagine, say, an overweight Wayne Rooney returning from his hols in the past and going to the press accusing Alex Ferguson of having bodyshamed him?? :-) Sure didn't managers openly call Andy Reid too unfit??! Top level US sport, men's and women's is cut-throat competitive, for me it's a nonsense. )
    On your first paragraph would that not be more likely to be due to the increased professionalism with club training rather than the international panel? While there is slightly more international training camps etc in the Women's game compared to the men's they'd still have far more training hours with their clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    On your first paragraph would that not be more likely to be due to the increased professionalism with club training rather than the international panel? While there is slightly more international training camps etc in the Women's game compared to the men's they'd still have far more training hours with their clubs.
    I think a bit of both. I don't think it's a coincidence that all the Irish team look super toned and super fit and are winning 50/50s when they didn't used to. Pauw knows it's a limited enough squad but she also knows that most of the rest of the teams (unfortunately we're in the group of death) have limited enough squads (hence Farrelly becoming an automatic starter and Mannion would've been too)......

By the sounds of things, I believe the training at the clubs is hit and miss and I put down the Irish teams development on that front to the training camp + individual programs (which would probably be facilitated by their clubs).

But I don't know for sure, it's just my take and I follow the team quite closely, with Ireland and with their clubs. I could be talking complete rubbish. But it's a definite that the squad is the leanest and fittest it's ever been, anyone with eyes can see that. (And a fair few don't have clubs!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    That left-foot, though.......*swoon*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Andy was just barrel-chested, pint-sized and big-boned.
    That left foot, though......*swoon*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    documentary about qualification to be broadcast on Wednesday night
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    That left foot, though......*swoon*
    That left foot could knit you a sweater.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast