Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Omobamidele D Notts Forest b.2002

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Omobamidele doesn't start tonight but Idah does and duly scores. Hopefully that quells some of the reactionary posters (POS) from earlier in the week writing Idah off on the back of his first run after a lengthy lay off.
    Theres nothing reactionary about what I said, I've watched enough of him to see that he isnt all that good and doesnt use his pace better. There's nothing to suggest he'll be a decent Championship striker nevermind EPL of course he could be a late bloomer but he's not progressed from 21s football.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Theres nothing reactionary about what I said, I've watched enough of him to see that he isnt all that good and doesnt use his pace better. There's nothing to suggest he'll be a decent Championship striker nevermind EPL of course he could be a late bloomer but he's not progressed from 21s football.
    I think he was progressing last season and was on a decent run of form before the injury. You would worry that too many injuries at a young age could hinder him and he needs a clear run now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Well... there is the fact that he has scored about once every 200 minutes at senior club level

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I think he was progressing last season and was on a decent run of form before the injury. You would worry that too many injuries at a young age could hinder him and he needs a clear run now.
    Without wanting to sound facetious Terry Dixon was a very good prospect at one stage, one patella dislocation followed by another a couple of years later and we all know what happened there...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Without wanting to sound facetious Terry Dixon was a very good prospect at one stage, one patella dislocation followed by another a couple of years later and we all know what happened there...
    Comparing Terry Dixon to Idah is b0ll0cks of the highest order.

Dixon was a great youth prospect who never made it to senior football properly because of injuries. Idah has played well in Premiership and at international level and has shown he can compete in men's football. Yeah he's just back from a bad injury and we all hope it doesn't become a regular thing but comparing him to Terry Dixon just sounds like you're on a wind up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Comparing Terry Dixon to Idah is b0ll0cks of the highest order.

Dixon was a great youth prospect who never made it to senior football properly because of injuries. Idah has played well in Premiership and at international level and has shown he can compete in men's football. Yeah he's just back from a bad injury and we all hope it doesn't become a regular thing but comparing him to Terry Dixon just sounds like you're on a wind up
    Well Idah’s stats as an underage player is far more impressive than Dixons, it seems the only thing Dixon had going for him is he played in the past so it automatically rated higher due to grass is greener syndrome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Every player is one bad injury away from retiring.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Well Idah’s stats as an underage player is far more impressive than Dixons, it seems the only thing Dixon had going for him is he played in the past so it automatically rated higher due to grass is greener syndrome.
    19 pages on foot.ie would disagree with that. When Dixon was called up by Staunton a snotty teenager there was fanfare not seen in a long time on here and other media. You can have high hopes for all sorts of players , whether they're good enough or not injuries can prevent finding that out either way.

In Terry Dixon's case that ended up being a career at Stevenage and Dover or somewhere like that
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 06/01/2023 at 3:36 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    19 pages on foot.ie would disagree with that. When Dixon was called up by Staunton a snotty teenager there was fanfare not seen in a long time on here and other media.
    Based on 0 senior appearances…the bar must not have been very high back then for a young player to be considered a prospect.

What changed in the next 15 years for us to not have the deluded optimism in 2022 that we had back then?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Getting called up to a senior squad at 16 does that kind of thing
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Getting called up to a senior squad at 16 does that kind of thing
    The sentence “let’s not get ahead of ourselves” should have been applied back then like it is today.

I just find it amusing how those on here try to minimize Idah’s potential and the treat Dixon as a high prospect when Idah’s done far more as an underage prospect and at the age of 21 has done more in his career than Dixon ever did. Either the bar was incredibly low back then or the bar is being set very high today to be considered a decent prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Dixon was an exciting prospect because he was called up at 16, but it was never based on any footballing ability that anyone of us seen, just stories of how good he was.

I still dont see why there was any reason to compare him to Idah. Keith O'Neill might be a better example if you are looking for a player whos career was destroyed by injury after we all seen he was a very good player and had proven it at a decent level. Even at that we have nothing to suggest that Idah will be like that, yes hes had a bad injury, which can happen to anyone. We of course hope that he doesnt have any more long term ones, but hes 21 and has played plenty of 1st team football already and looks like he could be an excellent player.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Dixon was an exciting prospect because he was called up at 16, but it was never based on any footballing ability that anyone of us seen, just stories of how good he was.

I still dont see why there was any reason to compare him to Idah. Keith O'Neill might be a better example if you are looking for a player whos career was destroyed by injury after we all seen he was a very good player and had proven it at a decent level. Even at that we have nothing to suggest that Idah will be like that, yes hes had a bad injury, which can happen to anyone. We of course hope that he doesnt have any more long term ones, but hes 21 and has played plenty of 1st team football already and looks like he could be an excellent player.
    That was at a time when the Irish manager was handing out caps like confetti though… Anyone can tell stories but it’s all irrelevant without evidence.

At least Keith O’Neill has a body of evidence to go on.

Well if he’s 21 and already has 50 appearances for a top championship team/ bottom half premiership side despite having 4 massive injury lay offs then that’s not a bad start. He just needs to keep improving and hopes that he doesn’t get too many long term injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    That was at a time when the Irish manager was handing out caps like confetti though… Anyone can tell stories but it’s all irrelevant without evidence.

At least Keith O’Neill has a body of evidence to go on.

Well if he’s 21 and already has 50 appearances for a top championship team/ bottom half premiership side despite having 4 massive injury lay offs then that’s not a bad start. He just needs to keep improving and hopes that he doesn’t get too many long term injuries.
    I dont think Staunton was giving out caps any more than other managers in fairness to him, outside of the infamous US tour when Lapria got call up. I do remember being in the stands for game against I think Holland, but I could be wrong there, and being disappointed when we didnt get to see him. It was all paper talk at the time and I supposed there wasnt the access to under age games that there is today with Twitter etc so there definitely was a buzz about him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I was at the Dutch game too. Dixon warmed up with the other subs at half time. He was doing keepie-uppies for about five minutes and I don't think the ball touched the ground in all that time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I was at the Dutch game too. Dixon warmed up with the other subs at half time. He was doing keepie-uppies for about five minutes and I don't think the ball touched the ground in all that time
    To be fair when the best thing you can say about a player is the amount of keepie-uppies he can do in a warm up then it doesn’t really bode well for the player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    To be fair when the best thing you can say about a player is the amount of keepie-uppies he can do in a warm up then it doesn’t really bode well for the player.
    A bit harsh on a bloke whose knee ended what could have possibly been a great career.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    A bit harsh on a bloke whose knee ended what could have possibly been a great career.
    Or he could have been a total flop like so many other promising players in the past.

You think that’s harsh just look at some of the stuff said about Idah on this forum…a player who has been far better as a youth player and don’t far more in his career as a teenager than Dixon ever did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    That's the best thing I can say about him in that game. The only other time I saw him play was an under 21 game against Armenia. He came on in the second half and set up a goal. This was when he was at West Ham and they were managing his game time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    That's the best thing I can say about him in that game. The only other time I saw him play was an under 21 game against Armenia. He came on in the second half and set up a goal. This was when he was at West Ham and they were managing his game time.
    That’s okay I guess, but again comparatively is that really much to write home about compared to any of our youth strikers today?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast