Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: David Walsh

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

David Walsh

Now I think he's a good writer, but the likes of him and Humphries really píss me off thinking their experts on every sport going. Or should that be whatever the biggest sport this particular week is?

David Walsh is now the rugby expert on the Last Word. FFS he was contradicting Donal Lenihan and Neil Francis last week - I may not think those two are always right, but I know who would know more about rugby.

I'll give Walsh credit on his knowledge of drugs in sport, inparticular cycling, but frankly I find it pathetic that he's now an expert on rugby as he's sharing a hotel with the Lions....

Actually while I'm on this rant, I'll add in commentators (step forward Hamilton) who flit between sports. He's embarrassing when he's doing rugby commentary ("I don't know what that penalty was for" - well learn the fookin rules then you tool!).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Actually while I'm on this rant, I'll add in commentators (step forward Hamilton) who flit between sports. He's embarrassing when he's doing rugby commentary ("I don't know what that penalty was for" - well learn the fookin rules then you tool!).
    George finds it hard enough to work out what a free kick is for in soccer let alone rugby. However, very few commentators, if any, are put forward as experts.

I think it's fair enough for a journalist to be an "expert" on something provided they follow the sport closely. We fans are usually as good as if not better than most ex-professionals at reading a game or predicting how it will go. Experience gained as a fan from watching hundreds of game is as good as a player who played professional football - of that I am convinced.