Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 UEFA Under-21 Championship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Have you seen andy Lyons for Bohs this season? he's been outstanding, and fully deserves his start - without taking anything away from Lee O'Connor.

I was hoping to see Noss, Devoy and Johannson myself, but the alternative is that the bench is seriously strong, and I'd fully expect to see Evan Ferguson at the 60min mark.
    A few times, yeah, Lyons was one of the players I wanted to see. scored a cracking goal last weekend.
    Was making a general point about the direction O'Connor's career has taken, nothing to do with Lyons starting ahead of him
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    HT 0-0. We've been on top. Not sure we could say we've been better, maybe better to say we've been less shít. Bright spots are Kilkenny, Coventry, Wright (ish) and competence from Tierney and Lyons.

Ferry has been poor, McEntee poor, and Kayode isn't good enough at this level on this showing.

Jake O'Brien is curious. He looks very comfortable on the ball, and is eager through the field. He's not quick though, and a bit ponderous. Himself and McGuinness would be a big pairing.
    Haven't really seen Watson involved. Pitch is rubbish as PI states. I'd expect to see Ferguson on - and will be a good test - their two cb's have been clever with Kayode.
    You'd think we could do with Moran playing off Ferguson, but part of me would like to see devoy on at HT.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    A few times, yeah, Lyons was one of the players I wanted to see. scored a cracking goal last weekend.
    Was making a general point about the direction O'Connor's career has taken, nothing to do with Lyons starting ahead of him
    Conscious of that, and it's a valid point. And it's fair to say, that even if O'Connor's career progress had slowed, playing regular football at a relatively ok level would have ensured he would start. He's a tidy player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    OBrien misses a great choice very soon after Bosnia butcher a great ball through over the top mostly thanks to the bad bounce from the crappy pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Penalty to Ireland, kayode fouled from a blunder from the keeper from kilkenny's free kick.

0-1 - Wright scores with a great penalty.

Free-kick was awarded after Tierney broke clear towards the Bosnian box and was clearly fouled on the edge. Nice free from Kilkenny on the less obvious side, keeper spills the shot around shin-high, and kayode follows up and is clearly fouled.

Ireland are really struggling on their left hand side with Ferry and Watson.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 03/09/2021 at 3:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Great penalty from Wright after Kayode was fouled in the box. Pointless penalty to give away too, Kayode was heading away from goal when he was tackled
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    My battery died just as we lined up the freekick. Probably took 60 seconds and it was 1-0... Bosnia havent really created much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    2-0. Conor Coventry scores from a well worked corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Alan Cawley must have been an amazing player, because he's one critical gobsh!te.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Coventry makes it 2-0. There was an interview in the 42 today with him and he highlighted that he was attracted to Peterborough because Darren Ferguson told him he could add goals to his game and he was so impressed that the manager had independently formed that view, once which he concurred with and had been working on improving. His goal was a nice one. Corner from Kilkenny to Wright at the near post who knocks it onto an oncoming Coventry who makes a great late run and doesn't get a great connection but directs it where the keeper hadn't a hope.

EDIT: It was Watson I think that knocked it onto Coventry. Thought it was Wright.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 03/09/2021 at 4:10 PM.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Alan Cawley must have been an amazing player, because he's one critical gobsh!te.
    He is in fairness.

He has, however, identified Gavin Kilkenny as a player having a good game. Which he is. I think this shows the benefit of him staying with the 21s. Not enough senior football under his belt so let him get a game here in the new role and see how he fares. Kenny will be willing to pull the trigger after this.

He looks so much better than he did during the friendlies in an advanced role. Great to see.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Ferguson on for the closing stages. Interesting stat from the commentary team that the last 16 year old to play U21 football for Ireland was Terry Dixon.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Ferguson on for the closing stages. Interesting stat from the commentary team that the last 16 year old to play U21 football for Ireland was Terry Dixon.
    My first time seeing him in a while. He's an intriguing proposition. Looks to be physically matured at 16 and can use it really well. Did some nice work with his back to goal. I'm excited to see more of him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    My first time seeing him in a while. He's an intriguing proposition. Looks to be physically matured at 16 and can use it really well. Did some nice work with his back to goal. I'm excited to see more of him.
    Definitely looks to have plenty about him. The Terry Dixon mention stopped me from getting too carried away though!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Definitely looks to have plenty about him. The Terry Dixon mention stopped me from getting too carried away though!
    Dixon got destroyed by injuries unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Second goal from today's game, well worked corner routine.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Dixon got destroyed by injuries unfortunately
    I saw him in what I think was his last appearance for Ireland, he came on for the U21s in Tallaght against Armenia.
    Was carrying a few extra pounds but still managed to set up a goal.
    His knee was in ribbons though. There was a post on YBIG from a friend of his saying he used to watch him training with the Spurs senior team, and tearing Ledley King apart.
    What might have been .

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    I saw him in what I think was his last appearance for Ireland, he came on for the U21s in Tallaght against Armenia.
    Was carrying a few extra pounds but still managed to set up a goal.
    His knee was in ribbons though. There was a post on YBIG from a friend of his saying he used to watch him training with the Spurs senior team, and tearing Ledley King apart.
    What might have been .
    Yeah he was a class player. I remember seeing him play for our under 16s maybe 17s and the 3 front players were Fagan from utd, Sheridan at celtic and himself. At the time it seemed like that one or two of that 3 would surely make a big impact at senior level

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Yeah he was a class player. I remember seeing him play for our under 16s maybe 17s and the 3 front players were Fagan from utd, Sheridan at celtic and himself. At the time it seemed like that one or two of that 3 would surely make a big impact at senior level
    Mad. You'd probably have said that Dixon and Fagan would have made it well before Sheridan? Yet he has carved out the only proper pro career of the three due to injuries for Dixon and Fagan.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Mad. You'd probably have said that Dixon and Fagan would have made it well before Sheridan? Yet he has carved out the only proper pro career of the three due to injuries for Dixon and Fagan.
    You know that's very true. I remember thinking Sheridan looked awkward . I think at that stage he was still in ireland but had signed for celtic and was waiting to go over. Fagan and Dixon were certainly the higher rated.

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast