Page 47 of 80 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2021

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    A great week for the league in Europe. A win against Greek and Albanian opposition, plus a draw against a Dutch team. Tremendous really.

Looking forward to Pineapple Stu's analysis of how it proves that we haven't improved in Europe at all and can't beat teams from leagues rated above us
    Funny he’s harder to find than a rocking horse **** when things go well…

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    In terms of ranking places for cup winners in ECL mid 30's or so to start in QR2. League in the 20s. EL and CL in anothr lifetime! Maybe been metioned but liking this table at the moment https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/ccoef2022.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Funny he’s harder to find than a rocking horse **** when things go well…
    He has been uncharacteristically quiet on here of late. No doubt still reading the posts though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    He has been uncharacteristically quiet on here of late. No doubt still reading the posts though.
    He’s fixing his formula. Can’t get it to work

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    happy with that 1 nil as these guys will have to come out and play a bit at home and we looked well able for them.
    What a night for the 17 year old scoring a 91st minute winner in Europe
    I was at the match and there was a great atmosphere considering only 1350 there.
    Be mad if there was 3 Irish teams in the PO round although there could still be none.
    At what point does our coefficient make a difference in terms of places or entry rounds?
    Last year Luxembourg in 35th got their cup winners directly into the 2nd round (It didn't go well for them). I think this was dependent on the European title winners already qualifying for Europe domestically, which you'd imagine would be the anomaly if it didn't happen.

Will make it a little tougher to pick up the country co-efficient points with one less team playing in the first round but having the prize money in the bank is the most important thing for our clubs.

I said in an earlier post that we'd have a decent chance of getting there by the end of next year if could keep performing consistently. But I, like the rest of us were thinking that the best we could hope for from the 3 games this week was a 1/1.5 points (win/win+draw). Now that we have ended up with 2.5 points and we're only 0.625 away from that 35th spot.

I think it goes to show the importance of your teams staying in the competition and playing games. The LOI getting the opportunity to play 3 games this week, when most countries only have 1 team has meant getting a couple results has meant we're making huge ground on them.

If Rovers can make the group stage you'd have to imagine we will get there.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    At what stage do we send out a search party for PS. Gone from ‘One night in Dudelange’ to ‘One week under the bedclothes’!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Watched the highlights of the Dundalk game earlier. Two great goals by McEleney, great effort that hit the bar too. Arnhem did seem to have a lot of chances, so will still be very tough for Dundalk next week. This is where the scrapping of the away goals rule doesn’t do them any favours. Going into next week with two away goals they’d be in a much better position.

Hopefully they’ll have one eye on the second leg come Sunday afternoon.
    Last edited by TonyD; 05/08/2021 at 11:06 PM.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    At what stage do we send out a search party for PS. Gone from ‘One night in Dudelange’ to ‘One week under the bedclothes’!
    Spotted

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Yeah Perth isn’t everyone’s cup of tea which works against him probably but he’s done a decent job, albeit he has very good players in spite of how they looked earlier on in the season….

I’d say there was no other club McEleney would have signed a pre contract with only Derry,but Perth must be ready unhappy that he’s going….
    Peak 6 are going at end year

There's rumours of few people who may take over. Thats why nobody's signed. Dundalk won't be signing any contracts until the emd of the season
    Only Boyle, O Kane are signed up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    At what point does our coefficient make a difference in terms of places or entry rounds?
    It starts from around* 35th place - so we'd need at least another full coefficient point before we could be in touching distance of that.(presuming that other countries also increase a bit)

* - changes depending on other access factors, but this season 31-35 had their Cup Winners enter the ECL at round Q2
    next change is again around the group 20-29 where all their teams start at Q2

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2021.html
    Last edited by CuanaD; 06/08/2021 at 12:57 AM.
    http://trophymanager.com/?c=489688
    Trophy Manager - online football managment game - I like it - I think I'm getting obsessed with it though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD View Post
    It starts from around* 35th place - so we'd need at least another full coefficient point before we could be in touching distance of that.(presuming that other countries also increase a bit)

* - changes depending on other access factors, but this season 31-35 had their Cup Winners enter the ECL at round Q2
    next change is again around the group 20-29 where all their teams start at Q2

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2021.html
    Correct me if im reading this wrong but getting to 31-35 is hardly what you'd call a significant boost in the grand scheme of things for the 4 LOI teams entering Europe. Even 19 - 30 is hardly what you'd call life changing.

To play the devils advocate it kinda shows that clubs are mainly playing for themselves and to improve their coefficient to get seeded and have easier draws in following seasons. Of course their is a pride element to in terms of LOI status but is it enough for fans who say 'i dont like to see other teams do well in Europe cause it strengthens a rival' to change their minds on that!!!

Btw for people who like a good spreadsheet thats top work by Bert as usual. Lol.
    Last edited by redobit; 06/08/2021 at 5:04 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    What a strange game in tallaght last night.
    They tipped off and just ran backwards.
    It was like Rovers vs a very well organised 1st division side, shuffling across as Rovers played the ball in front of them. No ambition and the predicted cynicism with every challenge. Think the ref could have got a handle on it sooner tbh.
    Rovers were fine and patient( more so than some of the cretins in the crowd) and my guess is that Bradley instilled in them the mantra of "be patient, its over 2 legs". Really missed Burkey off the cuff-ness in the 1st half-when he came on he's clearly not fit.
    Hopefully the heat won't be a struggle in Albania and they leave spaces when they come out a but more and play. Hope the ref is strong out there as there could be a lot of diving in and around the area, assuming they even want to cross the halfway line this time.
    Delighted for aydemo - what a time and place to score your 1st goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Great to see a young lad step up and score last night.There are some crop of players at 16-20 across the league.
    Hopefully they do what Scales, Danny Grant have done and get some senior years under their belt before the move a broad..
    Hope your PAOK mates give us,a good welcome in Salonica next week PC!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Credit to Bradser for throwing Greene, Aydemo, Kavo and Burke on going effectively 3 up top for last 20 mins and risking the counter.
    Its hard to know do they have another gear as they really didnt try to play.
    There home form has been poor so hopefully that extra gear isnt there
    Last edited by sbgawa; 06/08/2021 at 8:21 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    A great week for the league in Europe. A win against Greek and Albanian opposition, plus a draw against a Dutch team. Tremendous really.

Looking forward to Pineapple Stu's analysis of how it proves that we haven't improved in Europe at all and can't beat teams from leagues rated above us
    As hes been called out, this is exactly the problem with internet forums. General debate in a pub/room will always win out. As has shown this week.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 06/08/2021 at 8:50 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Yeah Perth isn’t everyone’s cup of tea which works against him probably but he’s done a decent job, albeit he has very good players in spite of how they looked earlier on in the season….

I’d say there was no other club McEleney would have signed a pre contract with only Derry,but Perth must be ready unhappy that he’s going….
    I've pulled up on his lack of fluidity and general (non) love of the grá, him being the European Reincarnation of John Caufield and negativity, but yesterday over the 90 mins they were positive, confident, believed in themselves and went about their own game and way of playing. He has to be commended for that. When I think of the dross he served up against Slovan and the pure negativity, and for what? Effectively losing his job. Last night showed he learned from that.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Anyone addressed the elephant in the room yet with regard to the Bohs and Dundalk game?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    As hes been called out, this is exactly the problem with internet forums. General debate in a pub/room will always win out. As has shown this week.
    Exactly, I am a big fan of half remembered results , fixtures and teams. The internet is the enemy of emotional memory!

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Well that was fun

I'd honestly still expect only Rovers to get through to the playoffs, and ultimately the group stage when it's all said and done, but it has been an exceptional few weeks to follow the LOI in Europe.

Hopefully 3 clubs do themselves justice next week and something special happens between even one of Dundalk and Bohs. You'd imagine both Vitesse and PAOK will be better and sharper next week, but Dundalk have a lot of experience, and maybe Patching will be fit and make a difference. Bohs are only getting better themselves.

In coefficient land. In an ideal world if the league does trend upwards. I'd actually much prefer the league didn't jump straight up in to a position of having some clubs skipping straight in to round 2 for a couple of seasons, to allow clubs like Bohs, to build their individual coefficient and actually get themselves seeded in future years. You'd love to have a 5th qualifying spot really, but that will never happen unless we start trying to win the fair play league every season.

Fine chance for Shamrock Rovers, the Albanians are crap, as long as SR deal with the pressure, and heat they might win 2/3-0 away on the break. A great opportunity to make the groups and get themselves seeded in Europe next season, for whatever competition they ultimately end up in.

Grand opportunity for Pats and Sligo to go on runs in the league now and make sure some of these clubs don't even get back in next season, I often wonder is there a better way to organize the season to give the clubs in Europe the best chance to progress while also not making a mess of everyone elses fixtures?

I'm a big fan of the occasionally mooted wealth distribution ideas re European prize money. 10% back to the non qualified clubs etc. Would at least take some sting out of fixture rearrangements if nothing better can be done.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 06/08/2021 at 9:52 AM.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Credit to Bradser for throwing Greene, Aydemo, Kavo and Burke on going effectively 3 up top for last 20 mins and risking the counter.
    Its hard to know do they have another gear as they really didnt try to play.
    There home form has been poor so hopefully that extra gear isnt there
    Risking the counter???? You watched the game, the only counter going on with the Albanian's was their analyst watching the clock tick towards 90. they were awful and for a team that excels away from home, they showed absolutely no ambition.

Bradley had to make that move, and you're right he deserves credit for doing so - it paid off in spades.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 47 of 80 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast