Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Wonder would ex Dundalk GK whos left Derry City Peter Cherrie go back to his old haunt as a stop gap?
    He seems like the type of player we will sign rather than Dundalk.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Peter Cherrie is a great chap and well liked in Dundalk, but new recruitment likely to come from overseas

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Deegan to Drogheda... adds a bit of steel to them. Drogheda seem to be recruiting very well so far.
    He was excellent for us in the few games before lockdown and for a few games after the resumption but his performances then mostly nose dived coinciding with our dreadful 2nd series of games. I didn't think he looked fit towards the end, his legs may be gone for his disruptive defensive midfield role at Premier Division level for a side who will be defending more than attacking next season
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You wonder how clubs are budgeting for next season, or indeed how they've come through this season. OK, the Athlone guys may well be on amateur terms. But it feels a normal enough (early) pre-season so far, when I might have expected things to be a fair bit quieter - at least until there's some view as to when next season will start or whether fans will be allowed into games.
    Many clubs are budgeting on another anticipated FAI/government assistance for the 1st half of next season with restricted attendances. Athlone have signed up a number of decent First Division level players who were on semi-pro wages with their former respective clubs
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    He was excellent for us in the few games before lockdown and for a few games after the resumption but his performances then mostly nose dived coinciding with our dreadful 2nd series of games. I didn't think he looked fit towards the end, his legs may be gone for his disruptive defensive midfield role at Premier Division level for a side who will be defending more than attacking next season
    Noticed that .... Just from watching Shels, once Deegan didnt perform well/ didnt play, seemed like the whole team took a nose dive.... Also Deegan is a big character, so might be hard to handle in the dressing room.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    Man who wins league titles everywhere he does is good enough to play for a Europe challenging side.
    I didn't mean it that way, I meant more that he's had a very serious injury this year and it's going to be tough for him to return to his previous level and Sligo and him are a great match.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Cherrie has had an awful year I don’t rate Gary Rogers at all but Christ you aren’t going to replace him with Cherrie. Glad to see him away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Deegan to Drogheda... adds a bit of steel to them. Drogheda seem to be recruiting very well so far.
    All they need to ensure their squad is unmanageable is add another Brennan. So far arguably Shels have recruited more sensibly and picking up those who let Shels down is not sensible or cheap.

11. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    All they need to ensure their squad is unmanageable is add another Brennan. So far arguably Shels have recruited more sensibly and picking up those who let Shels down is not sensible or cheap.
    Who else in the squad could be deemed as unmanageable ? Deegan and Tim Clancy played together with Hibs so assume they know each other well enough. He's valuable experience we need and I don't think anyone could doubt his hunger is still there. Add a bit of coaching and a game plan which he didn't get at Shels into the mix then I think he'll be a good signing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    So far arguably Shels have recruited more sensibly and picking up those who let Shels down is not sensible or cheap.
    I'd agree with this, if they continue the way they’re going Shels first division team for next year looks like it’s going to be a far better squad than the premier division squad from this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    I look at Drogheda recruitment and it screams a bit of Harps in 2008.

We signed Gary Beckett that year, an injury prone striker who was past his best in the hope that he could find form again. It just didn't happen. You'd fear Corcoran being similar this year.

They seem to be going after experience, which is fair, but that's what reminds me of Harps 2008, spent big bringing in Aaron Labonte, Neil McCafferty, Stuart Malcolm and Beckett, and it didn't pay off at all.

Deegan is another who doesn't inspire confidence. Started well at Shels but he was awful during the final ten games. Shels let him go for good reason..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

We signed Gary Beckett that year, an injury prone striker who was past his best in the hope that he could find form again. It just didn't happen. You'd fear Corcoran being similar this year.

They seem to be going after experience, which is fair, but that's what reminds me of Harps 2008, spent big bringing in Aaron Labonte, Neil McCafferty, Stuart Malcolm and Beckett, and it didn't pay off at all.

Deegan is another who doesn't inspire confidence. Started well at Shels but he was awful during the final ten games. Shels let him go for good reason..
    I was never fully convinced with Gary Deegan when he played with us in 07 season. He never really struck me at all. I know there was talk of us losing FAI Cup final that season cos of his absence but there was more to it than that imo!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Peter Cherrie is a great chap and well liked in Dundalk, but new recruitment likely to come from overseas
    Also heard DFC looking for a GK with 'international experience' so that would most likely be from abroad. Will still need a no 2 though, and I can't imagine McCarey will be offered a deal, then again might be hard enough getting one new GK, I still think need a much better no 2 than him.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

This was something I was actually saying to a mate only last night about Dundalk in previous years, and around 2011 under Ian Foster, one example being Jason Byrne.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    UCD in - Adam Lennon (Athlone) and Dónal Higgins (Galway)

Don't know either of them tbh

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    This was something I was actually saying to a mate only last night about Dundalk in previous years, and around 2011 under Ian Foster, one example being Jason Byrne.
    I was not an admirer of Fosters incredibly arrogant personality, but his signings of Jason Byrne and Mark Quigley were master strokes, and for relatively small money. Byrne got a bad md season injury which gave Marc Griffin his chance while Quigley was a revelation. Foster put a Good squad together that season that simply lacked depth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Its obviously for another thread, but Foster finished 6th and 7th with Dundalk in his two seasons, the players he got in were decent, probably should have done better, but overall not a good return.

He was also lucky, the 2010 season started with a euro spot, as Cork and Derry were removed from the PD, and DFC got that final spot for finishing 5th the previous season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I was not an admirer of Fosters incredibly arrogant personality, but his signings of Jason Byrne and Mark Quigley were master strokes, and for relatively small money. Byrne got a bad md season injury which gave Marc Griffin his chance while Quigley was a revelation. Foster put a Good squad together that season that simply lacked depth
    Included Greg Bolger and Keith Ward, unless im mixing up that era. Quigley was a revelation and probably the first time he was actually liked by his own fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    No no, same period, Bolger was decent at the start, but stopped playing/ injuries, Ward was his first intro to DFC, and he was decent. Quigley agreed a revelation, Jason Byrne was finished though.

Hawkins was another who was good. Overall, Foster should have finished higher than 6th and 7th, one of those a 10 team PD too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Jason Byrne was finished though.
    Far from it, he scored 27 league goals over the next 2 seasons for Bray, followed by 9 for Bohs the season after that (from 16 starts)

24. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast