Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 72 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1533

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    The reason celtic are paying 600k is because better clubs than celtic were in for scales as well. Scales is well capable of playing at league 1 level which is where celtic are or championship level if he does OK at celtic. Happy for him as he will earn more at celtic and he has been good for rovers. Hopefully he can push on with his career from here .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    He is also under contract until the end of next season , and rovers aren't desperate to get money for him. They have no problem rejecting offers they aren't happy with.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The reason celtic are paying 600k is because better clubs than celtic were in for scales as well. Scales is well capable of playing at league 1 level which is where celtic are or championship level if he does OK at celtic. Happy for him as he will earn more at celtic and he has been good for rovers. Hopefully he can push on with his career from here .
    You don’t know he is more than capable of playing at league one level though. Rovers fans thought the same of Graham Burke.

For me he stands out in the LOI a lot more than Scales (he was magic in the 2-4 game at the Brandywell for example) but was simply not good enough for league one level when he played there and is miles off ever playing in the Championship again.

Scales was part of a shambles of a defence against Flora Tallinn in the ECL the other day. For all that Celtic aren’t at a great level themselves he is unlikely to bring any real improvement. As I say if signed as a punt, fine. He is no more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    He is also under contract until the end of next season , and rovers aren't desperate to get money for him. They have no problem rejecting offers they aren't happy with.
    The classic comment from a supporter of a club thats hitting the peak of their cycle of success, the kiss of death in LoI terms and the start of the break in the cycle. It may be a few years before the 'told you so' can be claimed though....

DD is going to know what offers are on the table surely and just has to better them hoping that significant offers from other clubs dont roll in turning the players head too. It is a bit of a transfer of wealth when 2 clubs involved have a common money man backing things. A win win also with his stake in Rovers if another club offers more than Celtic. 600k is a good fee and hopefully something of a precedence for better future transfer fees. With the bargain basement fees we are used to in LoI in mind it is quite a lump for Celtic to splash on a development player especially with a big financial hole to fill. They are open about being a selling club to maintain sustainability so I suppose rebuilding will become a more regular thing there and signings like Scales fits in to that model - very average players have made Scottish clubs a nice wedge selling on to the lower tiers in England, never mind a chap that could forge a good career in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I don’t disagree with any of that.

However the concern from a Celtic perspective is that he will be sold to fans as a first team signing and not a punt as you mention.

The reality is if he signs it will be Celtic saying “here, we HAVE signed more defensive cover”, when the team is crying out for a good centre half and left back this is what we end up fobbed off with, a 0.5 mil League of Ireland defender. This is Desmond all over. Obviously on this occasion it has the added bonus of shifting funds to this other club.

If Scales is signed as a “punt” alongside a centre half and a left back, fair enough. That is unlikely.
    With having signed Starfelt, Julien returning from injury, the emergence of Welsh; and Bitton and Murray also there to provide cover I don't think you're going to see any more significant upgrading to the defence in this window. The squad management over the past two seasons have left too much to do. The improvement in Ralston and Rogic has partially helped alleviate that burden. I wouldn't get fixated on the Desmond connection. It sounds to me from his interviews like Postecoglu has a say in transfers and is making sure the club identify players that fit his system and vision. Notwithstanding the potential departures of Edouard and Christie, if at the end of last season I even thought the squad was going to be in this good a state I'd have been delighted.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    With having signed Starfelt, Julien returning from injury, the emergence of Welsh; and Bitton and Murray also there to provide cover I don't think you're going to see any more significant upgrading to the defence in this window. The squad management over the past two seasons have left too much to do. The improvement in Ralston and Rogic has partially helped alleviate that burden. I wouldn't get fixated on the Desmond connection. It sounds to me from his interviews like Postecoglu has a say in transfers and is making sure the club identify players that fit his system and vision. Notwithstanding the potential departures of Edouard and Christie, if at the end of last season I even thought the squad was going to be in this good a state I'd have been delighted.
    Again i can’t disagree with any of that, RB has now been signed to replace Ralston as well although the consensus is still that another CB is required and an upgrade or at least cover for LB and I think we will see Scales as being that signed as that which I from a Celtic perspective feel is far from sufficient but look this is all Celtic talk so probably dragging the thread a wee bit off topic now. It was just to give a perspective on the potential Scales move.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,352 Posts
    Sligo signed some English/German/Ugandan lad. Played a bit in the Bundesliga with Werder Bremen and played a bit in the Eredivisie.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Weird one. 40+ games in the 2017/18 and 2018/19 Dutch top flight is a decent recent pedigree, but he hasn't played a senior game in almost two years. Can't see why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Scales to Celtic confirmed on a 4 year deal.

https://www.celticfc.com/news/2021/a...s_6V4SwZb6D7A4

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post

4 year deal? Good for him!.
    Presumably he will play against Bohs on Sunday while awaiting international clearance.?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    4 year deal? Good for him!.
    Presumably he will play against Bohs on Sunday while awaiting international clearance.?
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...our-yeal-deal/

RTE reckon he could be in the Celtic squad for the old firm derby so fair to say he won't be playing for Rovers.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

Talk about a debut Id say he will go straight into the starting XI at Ibrox with Taylor getting injured last night.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Who was the last player to move directly from Shamrock Rovers to Celtic?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    His clearance won't go through in time to play against the gers, and with Rovers now a bit light at the back due to injuries to Grace, Kavanagh and Hoare there has been optimistic talk thst he'll still be available for the cup game on Sunday.
    Hopefully he signs off with the winner against the our development team and then we wish him all the best on his football journey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Zero chance of him playing Sunday.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post
    I know Paddy McCourt played for both Shamrock Rovers and Celtic but somehow I dont think its him?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post

Go back to 1968 and a guy called Jackie Clarke.

https://www.thecelticwiki.com/1968-0...ltic-friendly/

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Jordan Gibson left Sligo and gone to Carlisle…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts

He is from Birmingham so probably being back in the UK suits him.
    If he was Irish it would be a poor enough move you'd think especially now Roddy isn't there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    That will be a loss for Sligo. He seemed to be doing well for them this season. He probably should have seen the season out in Sligo then moved in January. He seems to be constantly on the move since he left Bradford City. The grass isn't always greener,

Page 72 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast