Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1533

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Your club offering him a "trial" is his alibi for not appearing for sentencing in a Scottish Court today. Bench warrant issued for his arrest. Anyway your Manager has said "He’ll be in with us now for the next few weeks and we’ll both have a good look at each other.". Both of them must be "going to the mattresses".

Kudos on the whataboutery.
    Can you imagine the contract negotiations between SRFC and Stokes with his agent. Well Anthony how much will you pay us for a 1 yr or 2 yr contract to avoid being sent back to Scotland for trial and a possible jail sentence?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I see O'Reilly & Mascoll are leaving Waterford, I assume Patching back to Dundalk, are there any other loans up as of July 1st?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    I see O'Reilly & Mascoll are leaving Waterford, I assume Patching back to Dundalk, are there any other loans up as of July 1st?
    Not with us as Aaron ODriscolls loan deal was extended a few wks back. A very impressive player like his dad.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Can you imagine the contract negotiations between SRFC and Stokes with his agent. Well Anthony how much will you pay us for a 1 yr or 2 yr contract to avoid being sent back to Scotland for trial and a possible jail sentence?
    All over front page of Irish sun today! Surely the law will catch up with AS now unless he has a trick up his sleeve!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    I doubt he will be extradited...

Has to knock any potential signing for a LoI club on the head, hardly the image clubs want. It would be interesting if Rovers do sign him and then draw a UK club in Europe subsequently. Jesting aside though, its always disappointing to see any talented player go off the rails or be so wasteful, taking their ability for granted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Mascot was released by Bolton and at the end of his loan I suspect he’ll try find himself a conference prior to the season start in the UK. OReilly will be a big loss but his loan was due to expiry so it anticipated.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Nahum Melvin-Lambert at pats has gone back to Reading. Scored 1 goal in 5 late sub appearances, he looked ok in that time but must have been something in training that O'Donnell didn’t like to play him more (Ronan Coughlan's form being another reason).

Alfie Lewis' loan was also only until the end of June but he’s been released by West Ham and pats are in talks to try get him on a permanent although I’d say he could return home to a league 1 or 2 club. Excellent play who was ridiculously incorrectly sent off on Friday
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 27/06/2021 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Nahum Melvin-Lambert at pats has gone back to Reading. Scored 1 goal in 5 late sub appearances, he looked ok in that time but must have been something in training that O'Donnell didn’t like to play him more (Ronan Coughlan's form being another reason).

Alfie Lewis' loan was also only until the end of July but he’s been released by West Ham and pats are in talks to try get him on a permanent although I’d say he could return home to a league 1 or 2 club. Excellent play who was ridiculously incorrectly sent off on Friday
    He didn’t feature much and that’s in a thin squad. It must have been something in training SOD didn’t like. He did well off the bench away to Drogheda. We need a replacement for backup sooner rather than later. I can’t see us hanging on to Lewis Id say we are a stop gap for a move to L1 or L2.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    A few glazers needed to put the houses around phibsborough back together I see.

Wouldn't be crazy about Stokes, would rather bring in a younger player with less baggage or just figure out a way to use Greene more like we did last year. He's the best in the league at what he does but we don't have the midfield to make it work right now.

Pats losing Lewis would slow their momentum down but would be some signing if they got it over the line. Could be the boost they need to keep their run going until the end.

Hoban joining the Dundalk exodus isn't surprising as he's been threatening to leave for a while. Is there a replacement lined up or would they be happy to finish the season with what they've got and then splash some more cash next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    A few glazers needed to put the houses around phibsborough back together I see.

Wouldn't be crazy about Stokes, would rather bring in a younger player with less baggage or just figure out a way to use Greene more like we did last year. He's the best in the league at what he does but we don't have the midfield to make it work right now.

Pats losing Lewis would slow their momentum down but would be some signing if they got it over the line. Could be the boost they need to keep their run going until the end.

Hoban joining the Dundalk exodus isn't surprising as he's been threatening to leave for a while. Is there a replacement lined up or would they be happy to finish the season with what they've got and then splash some more cash next season?
    Whats that a 'defensive striker' role?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Greener runs the lines better than anyone else in the division but needs attacking midfielders coming through as he isn't going to score 20 goals himself. Mceneff and Byrne not being there and scoring goals is the problem this season. Watts and finn , farrugia all being missing has really doubled the problem. Them coming back and towell coming in will hopefully turn things around.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Whats that a 'defensive striker' role?
    Defensive striker in a team that scored 44 goals in 18 games and set a new league record for games unbeaten? Sure, whatever you want to call it, it worked. He's good at what he does. And I say that as a man who wanted him nowhere near Rovers the second time around. He was brilliant for us. We just don't have the players to support him now. Maybe when Towell arrives. Sure we might see next week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Greene might be the best at running the line but he is a striker, there to put the ball in the net and his goal to chance ratio is not great. If he is effective why go after Stokes, if he needs an abundance of attacking midfielder talent Towell is in now and might help, will probably score more than Greene. Be an interesting mini half season duel. 18 games seasons dont count....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Greene is the one who sets the press high up the pitch that results in Rovers winning the ball back in the opposition half. We haven't been half as good at that this year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Greene might be the best at running the line but he is a striker, there to put the ball in the net and his goal to chance ratio is not great. If he is effective why go after Stokes, if he needs an abundance of attacking midfielder talent Towell is in now and might help, will probably score more than Greene. Be an interesting mini half season duel. 18 games seasons dont count....
    Not sure you read my posts? I covered all of those points. Take a casual glance around world football and you'll see plenty of examples of forwards who are there more to stretch defences and bring midfielders into the game than being poachers. The pure striker is a rarity. You might say hoban does both but without penos hoban scored less than Greene last season I'm fairly sure?

Thankfully for Dundalk it isn't an 18 game season this year and you have some time to get your act together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Was out having a pint in Dundalk last night.**hic** so a few rumours floating about.
    Hear Junior is going to Waterford next week ,McEleney to Derry but not until season is over. Dundalk interested in ending some players contracts before the end of the season on sizeable terms.Also interested(Dundalk) in bringing in 2/3 players,gk coach and fitness/recovery guy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    A few glazers needed to put the houses around phibsborough back together I

?
    Didn't see that in the news,?have Rovers fans been attacking coffee shops in Phibsboro again?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Not sure you read my posts? I covered all of those points. Take a casual glance around world football and you'll see plenty of examples of forwards who are there more to stretch defences and bring midfielders into the game than being poachers. The pure striker is a rarity. You might say hoban does both but without penos hoban scored less than Greene last season I'm fairly sure?

Thankfully for Dundalk it isn't an 18 game season this year and you have some time to get your act together.
    False 9s are very much dependent on the quality of your attacking midfielders. For teams where you can have big squads with plenty of options to change your attackers and midfielders (especially now with 5 subs) its fine. Big difference in smaller leagues when squads are tight and players aren't as capable. Football is a copycat sport in some respects and false 9s will have their day, but I'd prefer a 20 goal striker any day.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    False 9s are very much dependent on the quality of your attacking midfielders. For teams where you can have big squads with plenty of options to change your attackers and midfielders (especially now with 5 subs) its fine. Big difference in smaller leagues when squads are tight and players aren't as capable. Football is a copycat sport in some respects and false 9s will have their day, but I'd prefer a 20 goal striker any day.
    Wouldn't disagree with much of that. Doesn't change the fact that Greene was a key piece of what was the best team in this country. Would I still have swapped him for Gary Twiggy in his prime? Sure...but I don't know if the team would have functioned as well.

It's all a bit off topic either way. Unless you have a 20 goal striker to sell us?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Didn't see that in the news,?have Rovers fans been attacking coffee shops in Phibsboro again?
    3/10. Not your best work.

Page 63 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast