Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Ronan Coughlan rumoured to be going to Dundalk on Facebook......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Dave Webster back at Harps, was really solid last season so glad to see him back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Dundalk sign of Norwegian Ole Erik Midtskogen from KI Klaksvik. Quite unexpected.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc...baEGBNnJuRBxk0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Dave Webster back at Harps, was really solid last season so glad to see him back.
    Delighted with this. On his day is up there with the top defenders in the league. Real leader as well.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    https://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc...baEGBNnJuRBxk0

Dundalk raiding their lower ranked european competitors......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    11 goals in 86 matches mostly in Norwegian second division before this season doesn't look fantastic and he obviously has been released by his club but at the same time Pat Hoban scored 12 goals in 92 matches across League 2 and National League in England so measuring strikers on other leagues is pretty nebulous tbh.

Time will tell but for DFC fans its good to see considering all the BS flying around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Sean Gannon to Shamrock Rovers. Even if Byrne goes, Rovers squad strength is beginning to look ominous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Sean Gannon to Shamrock Rovers. Even if Byrne goes, Rovers squad strength is beginning to look ominous
    I dont see this happening we have Finn and Marshal as wingbacks...would love to have him but dont see it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I dont see this happening we have Finn and Marshal as wingbacks...would love to have him but dont see it
    Gannon's form improved the latter end of the season but he didnt look too happy/comfortable as a wingback if being signed with that system in mind for either club. Last minute horse trading on a contract maybe or a different challenge needed? - the commute would wear anyone out eventually! Signing players and trying to keep players out of a rivals clutches are the excesses of mid 2000s. If it didnt seem like DFC and SRFC owners are going to bankroll hefty wage bills other clubs would be sitting back for the financial battle of attrition to take its toll if or when that could be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    The Academy should help in the medium term with signings, as a for instance Rovers had 7 of the Irish under 15s starting a match (cant remember which but remember seeing it on twitter from the club) last year. The academy strength is in the 12-15 area as it is really only going properly for 5 years.
    The pipeline from the academy is going to start kicking in big time over the next couple of years.
    This is the reason behind the Division one team , we need somewhere for these kids to develop as its pretty hard for any 18 year old to break into a top team.
    Some of our division 1 team (starting average age 18 this season) are also coming through although most of them need another year at mens football i think.
    Dean Williams , thomas Oluwa , MAx Murphy , Conan Noonan, Darragh Nugent are all kids coming through from the second team that i think we can expect to play a bigger role over the next couple of seasons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    The Academy should help in the medium term with signings, as a for instance Rovers had 7 of the Irish under 15s starting a match (cant remember which but remember seeing it on twitter from the club) last year. The academy strength is in the 12-15 area as it is really only going properly for 5 years.
    The pipeline from the academy is going to start kicking in big time over the next couple of years.
    This is the reason behind the Division one team , we need somewhere for these kids to develop as its pretty hard for any 18 year old to break into a top team.
    Some of our division 1 team (starting average age 18 this season) are also coming through although most of them need another year at mens football i think.
    Dean Williams , thomas Oluwa , MAx Murphy , Conan Noonan, Darragh Nugent are all kids coming through from the second team that i think we can expect to play a bigger role over the next couple of seasons
    Maybe I should have been less critical of the St Kevin's et al influence on underage football lol. Larger regional centres could probably close the gap on the Rovers academy. I cant see Dundalk getting close on just the numbers or scale of catchment, unless there is a very strong scouting system - quality over quantity type thing. Or court further link ups along the commuter belt in to Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    no you would be right to be critical of Kevins and DDSL clubs in general who havea sole objective of getting players away at 15/16 knowing most wont make it.
    No interest in keeping them as they leave the clubs anyway to play senior football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Gannon should be confirmed tomorrow by Rovers. Total blame rests with DFC and the looney in the US, insisting on ridiculous short term contract offers.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    If as expected, Sean Gannon comes back to Rovers I'll be delighted. I was gutted when Kenny shipped him off to pats all this years ago. The guy has won a trophy every year since (more or less).
    I'm fairly nonplussed by Hoare as he always looked pish when I saw him play.
    I don't know what your man McCann is like but he's not the youngest is he.

Question for dundalk fans in here: why was your new sporting director offered a longer contract than the players??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    If as expected, Sean Gannon comes back to Rovers I'll be delighted. I was gutted when Kenny shipped him off to pats all this years ago. The guy has won a trophy every year since (more or less).
    I'm fairly nonplussed by Hoare as he always looked pish when I saw him play.
    I don't know what your man McCann is like but he's not the youngest is he.

Question for dundalk fans in here: why was your new sporting director offered a longer contract than the players??
    Who knows, covid finances, do many players get longer than 4 year deals, hope that over the contract commercial improvements will balance the books, all of it? but in very LoI way a positive in hearing that the S.D. was given a 4 year contract, indicating some medium term plans at least by the owners, only for the positive vibe to be dulled by talk of stalwart player(s) being offered short term deals that doesn't indicate medium term planning! I think it was Hoban where higher demands were being offset with a shorter deal until Bill landed in. Popular player getting shoved out by unacceptable offer so club avoids ire of fans, or the players demands were unreasonable. Regardless Ganno has be become more of a club man and it would be a shame if he left under some cloud....signing for Rovers aside (most likely place to add to his medals currently, not meant snidely). I could be wrong as football is fickle, but he is the type of chap that itd be no surprise if he himself said little of what and why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Sometimes contract lengths can be misleading and are for PR reasons only.
    Jim Magilton could be on a four year contract with a clause that from year two it can be paid up with 6 months notice, equally he could be on a four year contract with an option for the club to extend or even both
    From my experience the longer the contract the more likely there are clauses.
    Often a player can sign a two or 3 year contract with a clause that if an offer comes in higher than x he can leave automaticaly at any time.

If Gannon comes to Rovers i will be over the moon but we have Finn and Marshal in that position so that seems like an abundance of riches to me...maybe Finn moves back inside ??

If DFC are letting him leave because they are only offering 1 year deals that is lunacy, smacks of thinking players have no where else to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Jim Magilton could be on a four year contract with a clause that from year two it can be paid up with 6 months notice, equally he could be on a four year contract with an option for the club to extend or even both
    Often a player can sign a two or 3 year contract with a clause that if an offer comes in higher than x he can leave automaticaly at any time.

If Gannon comes to Rovers i will be over the moon but we have Finn and Marshal in that position so that seems like an abundance of riches to me...maybe Finn moves back inside ??

If DFC are letting him leave because they are only offering 1 year deals that is lunacy, smacks of thinking players have no where else to go.
    To think it wasnt that long ago only 1 year deals were only wanted so players could move for free! It does seem high risk if ye want the sort of squad stability that Magilton has placed above manager demands today. Doesnt sound like being on the same page but hey its day 2 in the job and maybe he will hold some sway in the US if need be. Rovers cant sign everyone, some might have more limited options so others get the deal they want to stay. I really hope FG had the time to gauge the standard needed bringing players in. Talking about developing a 25 year old striker for Dundalk I hope was a lost in translation moment rather than absolutely literal wish to coach him to the level wanted if he isnt thought as already there (that makes sense?).

I've wished a few times that the wealthiest European clubs made a player sit out a full contract in the reserves rather than cave and not cash in on whatever they can get for a player manipulating to leave. Less to annoy a player and more to deprive a super-agent from their slice as they disrupt players to keep them moving and cashing in (family or not eg Anelka). It's third party ownership in all but name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Some are saying P6 want to only offer 12 month deals, but with a performance view on extending to 2 years. The club have been caught out before with some on longer contracts who just didn't work out, like Will Patching is one, and Stefan Colovic could be another, jury still out on him though.

It wouldn't be my way of doing things, as I would think 2 year contracts, paid 12 months (to be fair DFC also paying 12 months in 1 year deals) would have been the better option, especially attracting the better local talent.

As for JM, I think a good appointment, but I was surprised by the 4 years.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts

You shouldn't have long to wait for this to be confirmed, but also not sure where he will play, as you also play 3 central defenders, big loss all the same for Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    I think you have to accept that there will be unsuccessful signings at all levels of the game. It should not dictate contract policy imo, there should be more focus on why the players were duds and questions asked of scouting, influence of agents etc. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face especially when you are dealing with proven players. If FG has confidence in his coaching a new player to perform for Dundalk, in his system of choice, then the same applies for a player like Gannon who was on a definite upward curve in adapting. There is greater risk if a new player has to be brought in to replace or cover, albeit maybe on lower terms.

21. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast