Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan Ferguson F Brighton b.2004

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Great to see Andrew Moran come on as well but Ferguson could be the one we're looking for! Parrott, Idah, Obefami, at least one of these will come good. We have other forwards with huge potential also. Same story in midfield, defence and in goals. Things are on the up. Ireland to get to the quarter finals of World Cup 2026! You ****ing heard me.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!
    Great to see Stephen Kenny use the previous friendlies to blood Ferguson. ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Great to see Stephen Kenny use the previous friendlies to blood Ferguson. ?
    Stephen Kenny is irrelevant. He's had his chance and failed miserably. From the darkness of the past 2 years, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Evan Ferguson and our other bloomers are there for a competent manager to bring us back the glory days. All aboard!

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    In fairness to Kenny (and I'm not a SK fan by any means) that decision to blood Ferguson in November is looking a lot smarter tonight than it did at the time. He should have done a lot of other things differently in those friendlies, but he got that one right.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    In fairness to Kenny (and I'm not a SK fan by any means) that decision to blood Ferguson in November is looking a lot smarter tonight than it did at the time. He should have done a lot of other things differently in those friendlies, but he got that one right.
    No he didnt!! He brought him on with 13 mins to play v Norway and 1 full minute v malta

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    for me the SK experiment is over,. he is gonna get replaced by Carsley or someone like him,. i would like Bielsa or Brendan Rodgers,. the best chance since the group of death is blood yungsters,. Kenny is in borrowed time, Ireland will finnish fourth from 5

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    No he didnt!! He brought him on with 13 mins to play v Norway and 1 full minute v malta
    At the time I'd have said he shouldn't have been in the squad at all and Hodge should have been there. I still think Hodge should have been there but it was a good decision to bring Ferguson in and give him some minutes in hindsight. Given that he hadn't had much first team involvement at Brighton at that point I think saying now that he should have started him or the like is a bit unfair.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Great to see Andrew Moran come on as well but Ferguson could be the one we're looking for! Parrott, Idah, Obefami, at least one of these will come good. We have other forwards with huge potential also. Same story in midfield, defence and in goals. Things are on the up. Ireland to get to the quarter finals of World Cup 2026! You ****ing heard me.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!
    Will be interesting to see whether Moran gets more opportunities. Exactly the kind of creative midfielder we don’t currently have. He’d be a massive asset if he begins to fulfil his potential.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    for me the SK experiment is over,. he is gonna get replaced by Carsley or someone like him,. i would like Bielsa or Brendan Rodgers,. the best chance since the group of death is blood yungsters,. Kenny is in borrowed time, Ireland will finnish fourth from 5
    I was only thinking this morning that Rodgers' odds of being our next manager must be shortening.

And to add to a post I made yesterday about Idah, Ferguson seems to have that nice knack of being found by an easy enough ball. Idah never seems to.

I wonder if Graham Potter is regretting his move now? BHA's new manager has barely broken stride and they're doing really well.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 04/01/2023 at 8:46 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Giddy up!!
    Let's keep things in perspective. It was against Everton.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Let's keep things in perspective. It was against Everton.
    But he did it on a cold rainy night.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    At the time I'd have said he shouldn't have been in the squad at all and Hodge should have been there. I still think Hodge should have been there but it was a good decision to bring Ferguson in and give him some minutes in hindsight. Given that he hadn't had much first team involvement at Brighton at that point I think saying now that he should have started him or the like is a bit unfair.
    Maybe yeah, truth be told Kenny can do no right in my eyes at the moment. thats just where im at mentally !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    Biggest positive for me is he knows he's a big lad and uses his physicality well. Was my biggest gripe with Idah that he came across as too timid for a lad that was 6'3.

Coming from a footballing family you hope there's no fear that the lad will become big headed or feel like he's made it once the big contract comes his way.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Brighton fans seem happy with his "habit to be in the right place at the right time" which is exactly what they are looking for at the moment and any perceived lack of pace is not an issue given their style of play.

That's the one thing that stood out for me from the start yesterday, but as I said during the game Everton were awful giving up so much space. Cup game at the weekend hopefully he gets another start and moran gets some game time too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    his pace is an interesting point. he's faster than he was a few years ago. will be interesting to see how he looks at 19/20 - right now i think the top speed is pretty good but the first few steps of acceleration aren't as impressive. he can be a little wooden at times, he's tended to get away with it, like he'll take a slightly heavy touch but his feet are quick enough to get the pass away to his teammate before he gets tackled. or he takes a heavy touch but he's strong enough to hold the player off.

His big attributes are his ability to finish well with both feet, his movement, his strength, his reaction speed, his hold up play, his link up play, his self confidence.

- if you look at the side angle for mitoma's goal, his run is perfect, he's always just onside and if mitoma wanted there's an easy pass available to play Ferguson in, he pulls out perfectly at the last second not to crowd the space and to be there for a rebound. you couldn't coach it better.
    - for when he hits the post, he takes up an excellent position, reacts to the deflection and finishes first time with his weaker foot.
    - for his goal, the run he makes sends coady back and then he drops off. if sarmiento is able to get the ball anywhere past the defender, ferguson is gonna win it, he earns himself a big wide area of space to attack the ball
    - for march's goal, he obviously plays it across to march, but the overlapping run is partially what takes Tarkowski out. He points at Ferguson's run to Mykalenko to get him to cover and then slips

he's 18, so he's got so much room to improve if it goes right for him - I remember when he was 16, comparing him to a then 20 year old Erling Braut Haaland if he gained a yard or two of pace, maybe Alan Shearer. you wouldn't want to heap too much pressure on him but that's the best case scenario, an absolute monster. worst case, it's possibly Kevin Doyle, if he overbulks and loses a bit of his mobility and pace as he develops and loses confidence and ends up being a physical hold up man type figure. saying that, probably somewhere in between is the likeliest bet.

watching him in the last week, with his movement, he's not just reacting to mistakes that defenders make, which is something good strikers do, he's actively dictating where defenders go to create space and chances, which is something great strikers do. i saw a press conference where Klopp was talking about Nunez a few weeks ago and he said, the most important thing is he's getting chances. the far bigger concern is when players don't get chances at all. and that's the thing with evan, he's going to get a handful of chances that other strikers wouldn't get just because of his movement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    Was asked on Twitter who the last Irish player to score in three consecutive Premier League games was?
    No prizes
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    his pace is an interesting point. he's faster than he was a few years ago.
    In fairness, he was 13 a few years back - you'd want to hope he's faster now!

Saw a comment on the Brighton forum that they hope he doesn't score twice against Spurs and then vanish after that (a reference to Connolly of course). And of course it's possible, but you do get the feeling that Ferguson is a bit more grounded than Connolly and more likely to make it than any of our other options.

Time will tell of course.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    He comes from a footballing family and his dad wouldn't be long bringing him back down to earth if he gets too big for his boots. Brighton fans have nothing to fear about him becoming another Connolly.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    his pace is an interesting point. he's faster than he was a few years ago. will be interesting to see how he looks at 19/20 - right now i think the top speed is pretty good but the first few steps of acceleration aren't as impressive. he can be a little wooden at times, he's tended to get away with it, like he'll take a slightly heavy touch but his feet are quick enough to get the pass away to his teammate before he gets tackled. or he takes a heavy touch but he's strong enough to hold the player off.

watching him in the last week, with his movement, he's not just reacting to mistakes that defenders make, which is something good strikers do, he's actively dictating where defenders go to create space and chances, which is something great strikers do. i saw a press conference where Klopp was talking about Nunez a few weeks ago and he said, the most important thing is he's getting chances. the far bigger concern is when players don't get chances at all. and that's the thing with evan, he's going to get a handful of chances that other strikers wouldn't get just because of his movement.
    Ya from what I have seen of him the first paragraph above Id agree with, slow spurt definitely seems to be a negative, but if this world cup has shown us anything with the likes of Giroud pace isnt needed depending on the type of game being played. And that's what the Brighton fans I was chatting to said, they dont play counter-attacking breakaway football so they dont require those attributes in their striker.

Also agree with this last parapgrah, but again havent seen enough of him, he pulls away from the space he inevitably goes into, to pull the defender out, then hangs off and goes back into the same area he'd pulled the defender out from. I'm guessing its all instinctive, whether he can do it consistently against better defenders who become more aware of his skillset time will tell. But I've liked what I've seen so far.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts

His big attributes are his ability to finish well with both feet, his movement, his strength, his reaction speed, his hold up play, his link up play, his self confidence.

- if you look at the side angle for mitoma's goal, his run is perfect, he's always just onside and if mitoma wanted there's an easy pass available to play Ferguson in, he pulls out perfectly at the last second not to crowd the space and to be there for a rebound. you couldn't coach it better.
    - for when he hits the post, he takes up an excellent position, reacts to the deflection and finishes first time with his weaker foot.
    - for his goal, the run he makes sends coady back and then he drops off. if sarmiento is able to get the ball anywhere past the defender, ferguson is gonna win it, he earns himself a big wide area of space to attack the ball
    - for march's goal, he obviously plays it across to march, but the overlapping run is partially what takes Tarkowski out. He points at Ferguson's run to Mykalenko to get him to cover and then slips

he's 18, so he's got so much room to improve if it goes right for him - I remember when he was 16, comparing him to a then 20 year old Erling Braut Haaland if he gained a yard or two of pace, maybe Alan Shearer. you wouldn't want to heap too much pressure on him but that's the best case scenario, an absolute monster. worst case, it's possibly Kevin Doyle, if he overbulks and loses a bit of his mobility and pace as he develops and loses confidence and ends up being a physical hold up man type figure. saying that, probably somewhere in between is the likeliest bet.

I really enjoyed this, particularly in the context of the screaming that Tarkowski did at Ferguson over his intentional foul on Gueye.

Overall, I think you are articulating well how Ferguson has achieved what he has in the two games. I would also say that the heavy touches you refer to should surely become softer over time as he gets experience and confidence in holding off the very experienced centre halves he has been doing over the past two games. Idah seriously improved his touch and with Ferguson it is surely mental rather than technical or at least he will have the technical capacity to improve.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    He comes from a footballing family and his dad wouldn't be long bringing him back down to earth if he gets too big for his boots. Brighton fans have nothing to fear about him becoming another Connolly.
    This a very fair point too. Look at Nathan Collins and the grounding he has got from his family. Surely Evan has the same. He comes across very well in interviews too.

24. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast