Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Finland - Wednesday, 14th October 2020 - UEFA Nations League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Yes this is the bit i dont like, for whatever reason Kenny seems to have a free reign regardless, every manager that had us at least got us to a playoff over the last 15 years. I think thats minimum criteria for a new manager really.
    he hasn't even started his first full qualification campaign yet

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Does anyone remember our possession stats against England in Stuttgart? Or against Italy in New York?
    Ah, the old "people only remember the score" argument.

I'll tell you what though, people remember more than that. I remember John Sheridan hitting the crossbar, and that didn't get recorded on the match report. That was a brilliant pass and move play involving Townsend, Keane and Sheridan.

Some class players in that team. Kenny would kiil for them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Being against the manager is the safest position a supporter can adopt. No matter when you adopt it you will almost always be proven right in the end.

I wouldn't listen to scatter brained, self absorbed hurlers on the ditch like Paul o shea in this instance. And associated whingers gone blind or amnesiac to the utter dross we witnessed the last 4 years where we scored phuck all while creating nothing in the line of chances against beaver homes league level Gibraltar and Georgia.

I'm certainly no tiki taka man, never have been, and despise the trend of keepers passing it short no matter what but bloody hell if you cannot see that we are playing more football now than ever and are creating clear cut chances that we never did before then you are a blind man, and that's the polite description.

As a caveat I will say I am generally a mix it up merchant who is inclined towards percentage football and I have no skin in the loi game so no biased in that respect either.
    I don't know what else we would be other than hurlers on the ditch, or are you managing some international football team whilst moonlighting as a ROI fan on internet chat forums? You've definitely a far more organised mind than me then. But for the rest of us on here that aren't at that level, we'll still give our opinions whether or not you agree with them

I amn't one passing or hoofball only either, I am for whatever works based off the players we have available, and using the best skills of those available, but at the sametime getting the most out of what we have as a core unit. THere is no doubt we have more possession over the last few games, and no doubt we have looked to pass the ball more, so what? People seem to be comparing this Georgia away game(s) that we drew as some stick to measure how far we've come, well for hte last two away games against Georgia we had 6 and 3 shots on target V 4 tonight. No one is disputing that we didn't play well in those games though. But everyone is acting like things are so much better now because our possession , and passing, is so much greater/better.

You can call criticism or differing opinions or those who offer them whatever you like, the reality is we have always been relatively solid defensively - i do think our shape is very good at the moment out of possession especially on counter attacks - but offensively we are very poor and over these 3 games that didnt and doesnt look like changing.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 14/10/2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: cant bloody spell
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post

I'll tell you what though, people remember more than that. I remember John Sheridan hitting the crossbar, and that didn't get recorded on the match report. That was a brilliant pass and move play involving Townsend, Keane and Sheridan.

I'd say everyone remembers that one, and it was definitely in any highlights reel and any report. I'm sure it would have been remembered universally had we drawn or lost the game.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Give Kenny a chance.. judge him after the WC qualifying campaign..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Give Kenny a chance.. judge him after the WC qualifying campaign..
    I think even those registering mostly negative comments here aren't calling for his head. Well, except one guy, who mentioned Nicosia! Kenny's not about to be sacked. Maybe if he loses badly to Bulgaria, he'll be under real pressure, but not yet otherwise.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    849 Posts
    Seems to be a lot of lads that revel in misery on here and are delighted to see Kenny not getting the results. We've be sh1te for years now, I dont understand if they want this to continue with the crap football or should we actually try something different and see if we can progress in the long run.

Jurgen Klopp finished 8th in his 1st season at Liverpool. Im sure there were plenty of idiots saying it wasnt working or calling for his head while he was trying to change the way Liverpool played after they had been unsuccessful for so long. He was working with the players every single day and it still took him a couple of seasons to get it right. Kenny has had 5 effin games while also dealing with a COVID crisis. Some one saying its as bad as the Staunton era where we lost 5-2 in Cyprus is just ridiculous.

We had years of managers telling our players that they are not capable of passing the football and to basically hoof it out from the back every time. Do ye not think it might take more than 2 months to get it right when Kenny is trying to get rid of that mentality. We are still tight at the back for the most part which is what previous managers set up to do. We are probably creating more chances than we have done in years. The fact that we are struggling to put the ball in the net will change. Its been a mix of bad decisions, bad luck, lack of confidence and a couple of ridiculously bad missed sitters. We could very well have scored 2 or 3 in every game so far.

A little bit of perspective of where we have been and what we are trying to accomplish would be brilliant.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I'm still not sure you did but we can move on from that. It was a very basic point around judging any manager too rashly over 5 games and specifically judging Kenny vs McCarthy when they both started poorly. It's probably unoriginal because people have to keep bringing it up!

You're saying he resorted to the tried and failed? Can't agree with that at all. Did you not see the matchday squad get torn apart in the space of a week? Did you not see Knight, Molumby, OShea, Connolly, Idah, Curtis etc getting involved? You're posting as if Horgan was his first choice and you mention Knight who actually played today. This Obafemi nonsense has to stop as well. He's a young kid, completely unproven at international level and he did nothing for the 21s yesterday. He will get his chance when he is ready.

Who would you have picked today out of interest? What is he specifically doing wrong? Personally I think his subs were iffy but otherwise probably got the teams right.

On McAteer - it's that despite playing the game at the highest level, he's also a clown who says things to stay relevant without doing any real thinking.
    Spot on. Another thing I'd like to nail is this idea that we're playing tiki taka football. Maybe in comparison to what we were doing before, but that was such a low bar. In reality all we are trying to do now is play football that way practically every other team in the world does, I.e actually looking to pass the ball. Radical I know. It's very early days to start labelling Stephen Kenny a complete flop. If we lose 5-2 to someone like Cyprus then you can start comparing him to Staunton. But sure if we lose a few more games maybe some people will get their wish. Big Sam to the rescue it is then!
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Being against the manager is the safest position a supporter can adopt. No matter when you adopt it you will almost always be proven right in the end.

I wouldn't listen to scatter brained, self absorbed hurlers on the ditch like Paul o shea in this instance. And associated whingers gone blind or amnesiac to the utter dross we witnessed the last 4 years where we scored phuck all while creating nothing in the line of chances against beaver homes league level Gibraltar and Georgia.

I'm certainly no tiki taka man, never have been, and despise the trend of keepers passing it short no matter what but bloody hell if you cannot see that we are playing more football now than ever and are creating clear cut chances that we never did before then you are a blind man, and that's the polite description.

As a caveat I will say I am generally a mix it up merchant who is inclined towards percentage football and I have no skin in the loi game so no biased in that respect either.
    Just the Tonic!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I'm back having watched the highlights. There wasn't much in it. Connolly reckoned we should have won, which is maybe a bit strong, but it was a close match.

I'm typing this post while watching the full replay so it's changing my mind as I type. The first thing that strikes me is that the abuse Jeff Hendrick has been getting simply isn't merited. From what I can see a lot of what we do goes through him. Other pluses are O'Shea and Connolly. I suspect the calls for him to be dropped are more about getting the darling of the League Of Ireland into the team, rather than Hendrick having done very much wrong.

Talk of sacking Kenny at this stage is premature in the extreme. The games have been thick and fast, getting a squad of any description together has been a challenge with Covid, it's all had to be done with one eye on not weakening the u21s too much, and despite all that we've not been outplayed by anyone. He'll have a few weeks to regroup now and watch all 3 games back.

For now the U21s should be allowed the use of the likes of O'Shea, Molumby, Idah and Parrott to see off Iceland and Luxembourg (although in an ideal world the next round of games would be postponed, and the World Cup draw would happen with us as a second seed).

Kenny was probably honour bound to give the guys in the squad Mick left him a chance, but he's done that now. For me the next step is a to wield the axe. For a sapling to find space in the forest, it often needs a storm to blow down one of the other trees. Stephen Kenny needs to be that storm.

Even without any of the u21s, there are guys who can be replaced now without the squad looking much weaker.

Randolph, Kelleher, McDermott
    Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Long, Clark, Stephens, Manning
    Arter, McCarthy, Cullen, Hourihane, Hendrick, Browne, Mulraney, O'Dowda, Byrne
    Robinson, McGoldrick, Hogan, Collins, O'Brien, Maguire, Curtis

Those guys, with perhaps a sprinkling from the League of Ireland, would allow him to look at a few new options, while ditching passengers like Brady and Long who don't offer anything apart from a reputation.

It seems odd to be saying this given how the goal was scored tonight, but our back 5 are sound. Further up the pitch, bringing in someone like Jake Mulraney would perhaps encourage Irish players to go the the MLS of other leagues in Europe. Daryl Horgan has offered very little this week, and playing for Wycombe isn't a superior standard to Atlanta United in my opinion. Even if only for one game, it would be super to have a squad with players based half a dozen countries, instead of our traditional choice of 23 guys based in England, and one playing for Celtic.

If McClean is available I think he's still worth having, but as an option from the bench.

So no need to panic. Whether Kenny was the right choice or the wrong choice, he was the choice. This is a step up for him, and he’s going to make mistakes, but the thing that matter is if he learns from them.

If nothing else Chris Hughton isn’t available, and the FAI is skint anyway.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

16. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'm back having watched the highlights. There wasn't much in it. Connolly reckoned we should have won, which is maybe a bit strong, but it was a close match.

I'm typing this post while watching the full replay so it's changing my mind as I type. The first thing that strikes me is that the abuse Jeff Hendrick has been getting simply isn't merited. From what I can see a lot of what we do goes through him. Other pluses are O'Shea and Connolly. I suspect the calls for him to be dropped are more about getting the darling of the League Of Ireland into the team, rather than Hendrick having done very much wrong.

Talk of sacking Kenny at this stage is premature in the extreme. The games have been thick and fast, getting a squad of any description together has been a challenge with Covid, it's all had to be done with one eye on not weakening the u21s too much, and despite all that we've not been outplayed by anyone. He'll have a few weeks to regroup now and watch all 3 games back.

For now the U21s should be allowed the use of the likes of O'Shea, Molumby, Idah and Parrott to see off Iceland and Luxembourg (although in an ideal world the next round of games would be postponed, and the World Cup draw would happen with us as a second seed).

Kenny was probably honour bound to give the guys in the squad Mick left him a chance, but he's done that now. For me the next step is a to wield the axe. For a sapling to find space in the forest, it often needs a storm to blow down one of the other trees. Stephen Kenny needs to be that storm.

Even without any of the u21s, there are guys who can be replaced now without the squad looking much weaker.

Randolph, Kelleher, McDermott
    Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Long, Clark, Stephens, Manning
    Arter, McCarthy, Cullen, Hourihane, Hendrick, Browne, Mulraney, O'Dowda, Byrne
    Robinson, McGoldrick, Hogan, Collins, O'Brien, Maguire, Curtis

Those guys, with perhaps a sprinkling from the League of Ireland, would allow him to look at a few new options, while ditching passengers like Brady and Long who don't offer anything apart from a reputation.

It seems odd to be saying this given how the goal was scored tonight, but our back 5 are sound. Further up the pitch, bringing in someone like Jake Mulraney would perhaps encourage Irish players to go the the MLS of other leagues in Europe. Daryl Horgan has offered very little this week, and playing for Wycombe isn't a superior standard to Atlanta United in my opinion. Even if only for one game, it would be super to have a squad with players based half a dozen countries, instead of our traditional choice of 23 guys based in England, and one playing for Celtic.

If McClean is available I think he's still worth having, but as an option from the bench.

So no need to panic. Whether Kenny was the right choice or the wrong choice, he was the choice. This is a step up for him, and he’s going to make mistakes, but the thing that matter is if he learns from them.

If nothing else Chris Hughton isn’t available, and the FAI is skint anyway.
    we have no excuses for not playing Shane Long

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Kenny got the team wrong again, unless he is using this games as friendlies.

after these games we have to try new guys, we need to beat Bulgaria and see how it goes

Cillian Sheridan has to be in the team, Idah is learning his trade, maguire as winger only.

I.want him to field Ryan Manning, Cillian Sheridan and Jon Gallagher

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Just the Tonic!
    You'll need vodka with that if we continue as we have been.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Kenny got the team wrong again, unless he is using this games as friendlies.

after these games we have to try new guys, we need to beat Bulgaria and see how it goes

Cillian Sheridan has to be in the team, Idah is learning his trade, maguire as winger only.

I.want him to field Ryan Manning, Cillian Sheridan and Jon Gallagher
    Why do you overlook Eunan Kane?

A very cultured player.

21. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Why do you overlook Eunan Kane?

A very cultured player.
    unfit but greg cunningham is coming back

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post

No need to get salty, brine.

People remember the scoreline first and foremost, but they also remember the performance, and that includes chances created.

Not how much the ball is passed around amongst the back four. And Saxa fact.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Read we might play England, dont think is a good move right now, can we play a minnow? Or a team from concacaf or asia?

If we play England and we lose by a big margin, thats goodbye Kenny.

I hope Kenny is not that naive, lets play bosnia or a minnow at home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    we have no excuses for not playing Shane Long
    I have 33 excuses for not playing Shane Long. Every one of them is a candle on his last birthday cake.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

26. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I have 33 excuses for not playing Shane Long. Every one of them is a candle on his last birthday cake.
    doesnt matter the age!!! , kids are not ready yet

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Look, the Welsh did us a huge favour tonight.. them winning in Bulgaria makes things simple.. no matter what happens next round of games in Wales, if we beat Bulgaria at home, we remain in Group B.. that has to be the target for now.

Staying in Group B for 22, means that like finishing bottom in the last NL, we were almost assured of a play off place because practically all the A sides will either qualify directly, or end up in the A play off... so will a huge chunk of the B sides.. so even a 3rd place in Group B would almost assure us a play off place.

By then, we'll have played these 6 NL games.. maybe 3-4 friendlies.. and 8-10 WC qualifying games.. so even if we dont get to the next WC.. we'll have 6 NL games.. and the Euro qualifiers to get to Germany in 2024.. that's loads of time to bed in new players, ease out older players.. and fine tune a playing style

MON got that opportunity and time with the 6.. give Kenny at least that too

Start learning German lads.. zwei Bier bitte, und Kurrywurst.. the craic will be 88 again

29. Thanks From:

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast