Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: U23 Players 2020-21

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    I see Lee Harkin came on for Wolves 23s today. Think it is his first appearance at that level. Only turned 17 in May. From Derry but has plumped for us. Prospect.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    A bit unfair by me not to mention Cork's Ethon Varian for his hat trick for Stoke against West Brom.

Springett, Giurgi, Carty, Richards, Omobamidele, McEntee and bright young prospect James McCarthy all played today too. Young McCarthy getting a goal.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    A bit unfair by me not to mention Cork's Ethon Varian for his hat trick for Stoke against West Brom.

Springett, Giurgi, Carty, Richards, Omobamidele, McEntee and bright young prospect James McCarthy all played today too. Young McCarthy getting a goal.
    Ethon Varian's a fantastic name! Sounds like the morally ambiguous anti-hero from a dark, gritty, dystopian neo-noir novel.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

Highlights from the Stoke - West Brom game, including Varian's hat trick are on YouTube
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    New contact for Andrew Omobamidele at Norwich until 2024: https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2020...h-the-canaries

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    New contact for Andrew Omobamidele at Norwich until 2024: https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2020...h-the-canaries
    I know they have a lot of injuries but he's been in the first team squad a lot recently. Cracking player from what I have seen of him underage for Ireland. Great reader of the game and good in the air and on the deck. If he can sustain his physical development he can make it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Odubeko might make his senior Wear Ham debut in the cup in January

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Adam Idah signs a new deal at Norwich running to 2024.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2020...-new-contract/

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Looks like he may be back sooner than expected from injury, too.

Happy Christmas everyone.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich...ntract-6867736

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Zefi is 15 years of age...
    He was involved 10 times for rovers b team since football returned after lockdown so heis playing mens football already. The progression from the start of the new season to having him continue to play mens senior football but at a higher level with shamrock rovers first team would be great . He will be 16 then which I think is a similar age to when bazuna played for rovers first team. I'd far prefer that to happen than have him move like furlong did from rovers first team involvement at 16 to Brighton's 18s and 2 years later just been involved in their 23s.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's not close to the first team at the moment, to be honest. Huge talent but there's a big step up from a development team to a team chasing a league title. That could easily change over the next three months but the principle applies.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Yeah, it has to be noted Rovers B were fairly crap in a poor First Division.

Obviously that's still a good standard for a 15-year-old, but it's still worth keeping it in perspective

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, it has to be noted Rovers B were fairly crap in a poor First Division.

Obviously that's still a good standard for a 15-year-old, but it's still worth keeping it in perspective
    I went to a few games and they weren't crap, just they were at a level above their capability at the moment. They were still better than the awful B team we put out years ago that was actually full of adults.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Well in this context (potential national team players), the First Division as a level above your capability is fairly crap in fairness. Obviously more potential there than in most of the other sides, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it for now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He's not close to the first team at the moment, to be honest. Huge talent but there's a big step up from a development team to a team chasing a league title. That could easily change over the next three months but the principle applies.
    Thanks Charles. Been in and around the first team squad would hopefully bring him on and continue his development In a progressive football environment. Kinda depressing to think of him signing for a big club and struggling to make their youth cup team. For rovers there must be an incentive to have their very most talented youngsters somewhat involved to give them a better chance of a decent transfer fee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well in this context (potential national team players), the First Division as a level above your capability is fairly crap in fairness. Obviously more potential there than in most of the other sides, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it for now.
    Well it's pretty good for a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
    You quoted the point I was trying to make.

In the context of potential national team players (even at underage level), playing First Division football is meaningless.

Yes, he's 15 and has lots of potential, but how many players have we said that about down the years?

So while liamo is mapping his career progression to first team football next year and onwards from there, I'm just saying to hold the whisht a little bit yet. That's all.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    You quoted the point I was trying to make.

In the context of potential national team players (even at underage level), playing First Division football is meaningless.

Yes, he's 15 and has lots of potential, but how many players have we said that about down the years?

So while liamo is mapping his career progression to first team football next year and onwards from there, I'm just saying to hold the whisht a little bit yet. That's all.
    I'm not really chatting out his career I'm simply saying moving him into an environment with better players in rovers first s would likely bring him on more in my uneducated opinion compared to inter Milan under 18s or a big British academy. Of course that mighten be correct but from rovers point of view it has to be a big incentive to give them a better chance of a good transfer fee. Isn't this model what alot of people want to see with Brexit, basically league of Ireland clubs giving young players opportunities in the hope of selling them on as 19 or 20 year olds for fees in the hundreds of thousands and maybe millions?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Louie Watson on bench today. Similar to Scully at west ham he seemed to practically miss a couple of full seasons with injuries so great to see he has got himself fit enough to at this level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I'm not really chatting out his career I'm simply saying moving him into an environment with better players in rovers first s would likely bring him on more in my uneducated opinion compared to inter Milan under 18s or a big British academy. Of course that mighten be correct but from rovers point of view it has to be a big incentive to give them a better chance of a good transfer fee. Isn't this model what alot of people want to see with Brexit, basically league of Ireland clubs giving young players opportunities in the hope of selling them on as 19 or 20 year olds for fees in the hundreds of thousands and maybe millions?
    Well ok, that's fair. He may be a bit away from regular first team involvement though.

My post wasn't intended as a dig btw. I guess let's keep the feet on the ground is all. But yes, I do agree it's better than going to England (or Italy) now.

28. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast