Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Does anyone remember Given having a few difficult spells? Dropped at Newcastle? Remember Robbie Keane barely got a run out with Inter Milan, he only scored 4 goals in a season for Leeds when he was 21.

Players go through bad spells and on learning curves. People may make a judgement on players at a particular moment, I do it myself but we can be too rash in making judgements. Every player goes through peaks and troughs, well most players at this level.

Foot.ie posters might have been worrying about Robbie Keane in 2001, writing about Richard Dunne falling down the league's and all that kinda stuff. Hindsight tells us we should relax and watch these babies develop. I'm not really sure what my point is but I'm clicking post quick reply and nobody can stop me.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought Bazunu could have done better trying to cut out a low cross last week but Jaysus, Chelsea’s Kepa just carefully shepherded a similar ball into Mahrez’s path for City’s goal. Practically an assist.
    He actively avoided contact with low crosses at least twice.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Bazunu and Travers both in line for Save of the Month...if there was a howler of the month they might be in line for that too but..swings and roundabouts etc.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Does anyone remember Given having a few difficult spells? Dropped at Newcastle? Remember Robbie Keane barely got a run out with Inter Milan, he only scored 4 goals in a season for Leeds when he was 21.

Players go through bad spells and on learning curves. People may make a judgement on players at a particular moment, I do it myself but we can be too rash in making judgements. Every player goes through peaks and troughs, well most players at this level.

Foot.ie posters might have been worrying about Robbie Keane in 2001, writing about Richard Dunne falling down the league's and all that kinda stuff. Hindsight tells us we should relax and watch these babies develop. I'm not really sure what my point is but I'm clicking post quick reply and nobody can stop me.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!
    I actually remember discussing Robbie with a Leeds supporting pal over 20 years ago and how bad he was in one-on-ones for Leeds. He went on to become a master of those situations. Except in Paris

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    I actually remember discussing Robbie with a Leeds supporting pal over 20 years ago and how bad he was in one-on-ones for Leeds. He went on to become a master of those situations. Except in Paris
    That was Duff that missed in paris

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Did Keane not try to round Lloris and ran it too wide and over the line?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Cunningham was the only centre back at that time that I had any confidence in. And even he was originally a right back at club level if I remember correctly, Mick tried to turn him and, bizarrely, Ian Harte into centre backs because we were so short (so was Ian as it turned out and that part of the experiment didn't last too long).

Staunton was a left midfielder, turned left back, turned centre back who was only there because he had no pace left to play any other position, Dunne was talented but unprofessional and miles from the standout defender he would later become and Breen pretty much guaranteed you one shocker of a mistake per game and it was usually just a question of whether we got away with it that day or not. It was a long way from the Moran/McGrath/McCarthy/O'Leary days just a few years previous to that.
    You've said exactly what I was thinking. Always felt any game Breen was likely to mess up and then funnily enough blame someone else. He was friendly with Connoly for a good while too, their personalities matched. A keen interest in apportioning blame everywhere but at themselves. Staunton was so slow and laboured, we had two very good full backs in the mould of wing backs now but our CD did not inspire any sort of confidence outside of Kenny Cunningham. And i know at the time the feeling around Breen was shared with most Irish supporters.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 06/01/2023 at 1:09 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I thought Bazunu could have done better trying to cut out a low cross last week but Jaysus, Chelsea’s Kepa just carefully shepherded a similar ball into Mahrez’s path for City’s goal. Practically an assist.
    That's getting analyzed all over Twitter....What was he playing at? Seemed to have 0 awareness of anything outside of the shot threat. Genuinely could have reached the ball even late on but watched it go by him to the back post.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    Bazunu probably could have done a little better with Crystal Palace opener today.

https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Nearly point blank range so I’d probably give him a break on that one, God knows he needs one!

Solid second half from Gavin, one save, and one vital punch to intercept the last palace attack. He was definitive. Good win from Southampton. Hopefully this will ignite their league form too and help Gav get back on better form.

His distribution is noticeably a lot more hit and hope under Jones mind you, not surprising

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    Otherwise decent game with a couple of important interventions. Southampton through to the next round.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Nearly point blank range so I’d probably give him a break on that one, God knows he needs one!
    Suppose they're the margins you're looking at, aren't you? Look at Martinez in the World Cup Final facing a much better-struck shot for example.

But Southampton do feel like a team that need a win. An easy home tie next would be great - but unfortunately it's Man City in the League Cup on Wednesday...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post

Solid second half from Gavin, one save, and one vital punch to intercept the last palace attack. He was definitive. Good win from Southampton. Hopefully this will ignite their league form too and help Gav get back on better form.

His distribution is noticeably a lot more hit and hope under Jones mind you, not surprising
    Yeah his distribution stuck out against Forest as well. He was just lumping it high and long. That's disappointing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Suppose they're the margins you're looking at, aren't you? Look at Martinez in the World Cup Final facing a much better-struck shot for example.

But Southampton do feel like a team that need a win. An easy home tie next would be great - but unfortunately it's Man City in the League Cup on Wednesday...
    Ah Jaysus ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    That's a pretty small pool to work with. Think we've had 5 or 6 first choice keepers in the last 30 years, with Given being the only one to earn the gloves young enough to be compared to Bazunu.

But I'll try... John O'Shea? Made a lot of mistakes in an Ireland shirt (and for United too) early in his career. From an Ireland perspective, Trap came in and the mistakes stopped.
    John O'Sheas a good one, he had 2 good years playing relatively consistently with Utd and mainly in Centre of Defence, the more he played in that position he did alright but had a few dodgy moments. He was moved out then, and definitely had more of them. BUt i never felt as nervous about him as I did about Breen and O'Shea would have been playing in a higher pressured environment definitely more at stake with united.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Played well tonight against City. Solid and unspectacular. Wasn’t overly tested it must be said but he did what he was asked to. Nice to see him keep a clean sheet.

(still a few mins left, hope I haven’t put a hex on him)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Great for him and his club to get into a semi final,City were dreadful but hopefully this is a catalyst for him for the rest of the season....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I wouldn't be getting too carried away with the clean sheet. City were awful no shots on target.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    My apologies for the giddiness above

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I wouldn't be getting too carried away with the clean sheet. City were awful no shots on target.
    well haaland would have had two but bazunu prevented them

Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast