Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1197

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    Interesting to see that James Trafford, the young Burnley keeper, has suffered the same fate this season as Bazunu did last season, dropped from a struggling Premier league team for the run in. Trafford was dropped after 28 games (Bazunu made it to 32), having let in 62 goals and kept just two clean sheets (Bazunu 56 conceded, four clean sheets). Trafford's form was still considered good enough to get him an England senior call up last week.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Interesting to see that James Trafford, the young Burnley keeper, has suffered the same fate this season as Bazunu did last season, dropped from a struggling Premier league team for the run in. Trafford was dropped after 28 games (Bazunu made it to 32), having let in 62 goals and kept just two clean sheets (Bazunu 56 conceded, four clean sheets). Trafford's form was still considered good enough to get him an England senior call up last week.

Burnley fans have really felt Trafford should have been droped months ago. He has made some woeful errors and he has no presence . Interestingly lots of the complaints are about his poor ability on the ball which I would have thought woukd have been a strenght. As an aside fair play to man city they have sold bazuna, Trafford and muric in the last 2 years for about 40 million which is decent for 3 keepers from your academy/under 23 set up

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Burnley fans have really felt Trafford should have been droped months ago. He has made some woeful errors and he has no presence . Interestingly lots of the complaints are about his poor ability on the ball which I would have thought woukd have been a strenght. As an aside fair play to man city they have sold bazuna, Trafford and muric in the last 2 years for about 40 million which is decent for 3 keepers from your academy/under 23 set up
    Money going to money.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    Looking around the Premier League there aren't many first choice keepers under 25. None that you'd say are nailed on first choice now that Trafford's been dropped. Verbruggen has been sharing the jersey with Steele at Brighton. It's a tough league for young keepers, as we saw with Bazunu last season. Someone like Luton have benefitted from going with an older head in goal compared to Burnley going with Trafford. In the end, despite many (including me) being critical of Kelleher for not going out and playing more at a younger age, if he moves on in the summer and gets a first choice place with another Premier League team off the back of this run with Liverpool, he'll still be one of the youngest first choice keepers in the league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Bazunu is a better goalkeeper than Trafford - Burnley played twice as much for Trafford purely because he is English.

It was the primary reason why the agents and the clubs put pressure on Rice and Grealish to switch international affiliation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    quite poor from bazunu for that ipswich 2nd.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    Mixed bag from him today. Distribution has been very good, not a lot he could do about the first, maybe could have got a hand to the second, but it was hit early and went through the defender's legs which didn't help. James Bree - who I think might be Irish qualified (but isn't good enough anyway) has been the main cause of Southampton's issues today. Was very poor for the first and then got sent off later on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Mixed bag from him today. Distribution has been very good, not a lot he could do about the first, maybe could have got a hand to the second, but it was hit early and went through the defender's legs which didn't help.
    Spot on. Distribution was excellent. Third goal similar to the second, not much he could really have done as he wouldn’t have been expecting the shot and possibly unsighted. Thought the first was just a great hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    his distribution never seems off the boil infairness but his shot stopping is again the big issue. if they go up i'd be surprised if they stick with him after this seasons showing. these are the big games when you need your keeper to keep you in the game. saints fans losing patience it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Bazunu is a better goalkeeper than Trafford - Burnley played twice as much for Trafford purely because he is English.

It was the primary reason why the agents and the clubs put pressure on Rice and Grealish to switch international affiliation.
    Southampton paid £12m for Bazunu, Burnley paid £19m for Trafford
    Trafford won the U21 UEFA championship last summer, Arnau Tenas, the other goalkeeper from the final, is valued at 5m by transfermarkt
    The keepers from the previous final, Finn Dahmen and Diogo Costa, are valued at £5m and £45m, respectively, so £19m for Trafford isn't unexpected
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I think the first goal says a lot about Southampton's defending ~ Opposition midfielder with all the time in the world to pick out a player. with that player having plenty of time to control the ball, and decide to let fly with a blaster ~ ~ A question would be ,did the opposition plan ( given the opportunity ) to let fire at Bazunu's goal at every possible chance ? Do the opposition target Bazunu for what they consider to be a weakness of his ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2w1iZ1FmPg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I think the first goal says a lot about Southampton's defending ~ Opposition midfielder with all the time in the world to pick out a player. with that player having plenty of time to control the ball, and decide to let fly with a blaster ~ ~ A question would be ,did the opposition plan ( given the opportunity ) to let fire at Bazunu's goal at every possible chance ? Do the opposition target Bazunu for what they consider to be a weakness of his ?

defending for the 3rd was woeful too but it seems to go in in slow motion. again i think when you are challenging for honours , you need your keeper to be saving 2 and/or 3. its what all the good ones do. hopefully time will be a healer for GB and he learns from this in a couple of years, hes still v young. I think this summer will be a rough one for him.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    defending for the 3rd was woeful too but it seems to go in in slow motion. again i think when you are challenging for honours , you need your keeper to be saving 2 and/or 3. its what all the good ones do. hopefully time will be a healer for GB and he learns from this in a couple of years, hes still v young. I think this summer will be a rough one for him.
    It's probably an indictable offence here to even ponder Bazunu blame for goals two and three. But surely he should have saved at least one of them. Too often it's difficult to see an EPL player there. Sometimes it's challenging even to see a Championship player there.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I would like to see an analysis of Bazunu's reaction times, compared to other Championship keepers.

If Southampton get to the playoff final, it's hard to see them overcoming Leicester, Leeds or Ipswich. Might be no bad thing for Bazunu to spend another season in the second tier.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    I would like to see an analysis of Bazunu's reaction times, compared to other Championship keepers.

If Southampton get to the playoff final, it's hard to see them overcoming Leicester, Leeds or Ipswich. Might be no bad thing for Bazunu to spend another season in the second tier.
    the issue is next season i dont think he'll have a clear run at no.1 if they dont go up. the manager is definitely running out of patience with him and the fans likewise.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    the issue is next season i dont think he'll have a clear run at no.1 if they dont go up. the manager is definitely running out of patience with him and the fans likewise.
    I think if they go up they'll definitely sign an experienced keeper like Bournemouth did with Neto. Lumley and McCarthy are alright championship keepers and should be nothing more than third choice at PL level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    his distribution never seems off the boil infairness but his shot stopping is again the big issue. if they go up i'd be surprised if they stick with him after this seasons showing. these are the big games when you need your keeper to keep you in the game. saints fans losing patience it seems.
    So it seems.

https://www.southamptonfc.news/opini...pton-position/

https://www.southamptonfc.news/opini...underland-gem/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    I see whoscored.com currently list his weaknesses as catching crosses, saving close range shots, and saving long shots. It's not a great look. (His strength is given as long passing)

I think if Kelleher can get a move in the summer and play regularly to the standard he's been playing lately, the debate about our number 1 is probably over for the foreseeable future. (And of course Bazunu is three years younger and has plenty of time to catch up)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Magazine 442 has an interesting feature in its current edition. It’s headed The 50 Top Football League Players - as voted by fans. Four Irish players get a nod but not a word for Bazunu or myriad other Irish EFA battlers.

It’s no surprise goal-machine Sammie Szmodics is well rated at No.5. And rising star Finn Azaz is well respected at an impressive 26 just above, wait for it, that “nothing player” Will Keane at 28.

The top four are Kieran Dewsbury-Hall (Leicester), Crysencio Summerville (Leeds), Jack Clarke (Sunderland) and Adam Armstrong (Southampton).

Some Bazunu fans may be alarmed that perennial squad filler Max O’Leary is rated 40 and is the only goalkeeper in the list.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 04/04/2024 at 5:15 AM.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    As everyone say without jest

He's a great keeper, but let's in to many goals

Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast