Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    10m seems very low to me. He has 2 years left on his deal at city which isn’t a huge amount of time, which probably knocks a few mil off the final price - but they could obviously renew and send him out on loan to the championship if they weren’t selling.

I get that the buy back clause is worth something but I don’t see why they wouldn’t prefer to sell for 15m with a 20-25m buy back if they could get it, rather than say 10m with a 15-20m buy back clause.

From Bazunu’s perspective, he’s got the choice of moving to Southampton and challenging for a jersey and hopefully breaking into the team sooner rather than later and hopefully keeping the jersey, as good as he is, he will make bad errors over 38 games and the premier league is far less forgiving than league 1 would be. Or he plays a season in the championship on loan and assesses his options in a year’s time. Might end up being about contracts - like for example, city only offering him a loan if he signs a new contract at X per week, or if he’s willing to move to Southampton permanently
    Alex Crook says Bazunu supposedly turned down a new long term 45k a week contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Buyback is £40m apparently, so Southampton look like they're doing well out of this deal either way.
    Good deal for City IMO. if Bazunu takes the jersey and is a proven success the £85m Chelsea paid for their young keeper who has not impressed subsequently will look cheap.
    Although £40m is more than i thought it would be

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    That would mean City paying £30m net to get their own player back. It says to me that they don't think they'll be signing him again and its more of a "just on the off chance" clause.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    That would mean City paying £30m net to get their own player back. It says to me that they don't think they'll be signing him again and its more of a "just on the off chance" clause.
    Except this is City and Southampton know it’s City so 25-30M isn’t much to them. It’s probably to ensure they aren’t paying 85M for him if he turns out to be as great as we have hoped.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Kinda seems weird to me. Would have imagined they could have done 15m, 45m for example or 18m/48m

If I was a club needing a first choice keeper, I’d happily pay 20m for Bazunu and at 50m, there’s nothing plenty of profit to made if he’s bought back. Maybe the market just isn’t really there.

Said the same thing about Collins last season when burnley bought him for 13m, that he was very cheap and I’d be prepared to drop £20m on him if I was a club in the market for a centre half

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Kinda seems weird to me. Would have imagined they could have done 15m, 45m for example or 18m/48m

If I was a club needing a first choice keeper, I’d happily pay 20m for Bazunu and at 50m, there’s nothing plenty of profit to made if he’s bought back. Maybe the market just isn’t really there.

Said the same thing about Collins last season when burnley bought him for 13m, that he was very cheap and I’d be prepared to drop £20m on him if I was a club in the market for a centre half
    As of yet, the premiership clubs that would surely have been looking at Collins in action last season don’t seem to have made their minds up about him yet. Time will tell I suppose.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    What are the limitations on buy back clause? Does it last as long as he is at the new club or only valid during the first contract? Or is it only valid for a set number of years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    done deal , great move for him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WexCar. View Post
    What are the limitations on buy back clause? Does it last as long as he is at the new club or only valid during the first contract? Or is it only valid for a set number of years?
    often with these type contacts, city would have an option both after the 2nd and 3rd season to buy him back. Considering he’s so young, the contact might be longer and there could be an option after a 4th season if he signed a 5 or 6 year deal

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Is been awhile since we have had a starting premier league keeper in nets for us!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Has there even been a premier league club that executed a buy back clause?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    https://www.the42.ie/gavin-bazunu-so...91587-Jun2022/

Deal worth up to 18.5 million euros with add ons,hopefully he can kick on now and he’s able to establish himself as a good premier league keeper,the goalkeeping position for Ireland would be his then in my opinion….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    They were happy to offer him 10m+ over the next 4-5 years in wages. Instead they've been given 16m for him to get first team experience at premier league level without risk of losing him on a free and having to buy him back for more than 30m.

Ultimately 30m is nothing to city and would be an absolute bargain if he reaches his potential either way. Still a lot of work for him to do there though. It's a good move all round. Hopefully Kelleher gets one soon as well and we have 3 players playing at the top level.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 15/06/2022 at 3:23 PM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    With Southampton's record of developing young players I couldnt think of a better move for him. Having him and Travers as 1st choice premiership goalkeepers is fantastic.

If Bazunu thrives like I think he will he will have his choice of any club anywhere in 2 years regardless of whether there is a buyback clause or not.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Best of luck to him. Takes balls to turn down a long term contract to go out and back your ability to establish yourself as first choice somewhere else when the safer option would have been sign the contract and go out on loan. He'll need all the luck he can get at Southampton though because they were awful last season and will be there or there about in next season's relegation battle.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Has there even been a premier league club that executed a buy back clause?
    Was Matic a buy-back when he re-signed for Chelsea?

I think Liverpool have had them in place for the likes of Solanke, Brewster, Ibe and Brad Smith but never activated any of them, although Brewster is still active this summer and next but can't see it happening since they sold him for initially for £24m and he's scored 4 goals in 46 games since then.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Hats off to the lad as well. 45k a week would have be fairly life changing. He still has to work on his composure with the ball at his feet and his decision making but he has such a good head on his shoulders I wouldn't be shocked to see him come on a few more levels in the next year. It's scary how good he might be. He'll make plenty of mistakes along the way but it's going to be exciting watching him.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Hats off to the lad as well. 45k a week would have be fairly life changing. He still has to work on his composure with the ball at his feet and his decision making but he has such a good head on his shoulders I wouldn't be shocked to see him come on a few more levels in the next year. It's scary how good he might be. He'll make plenty of mistakes along the way but it's going to be exciting watching him.
    He still may be making $45K at Southampton

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Was Matic a buy-back when he re-signed for Chelsea?

I think Liverpool have had them in place for the likes of Solanke, Brewster, Ibe and Brad Smith but never activated any of them, although Brewster is still active this summer and next but can't see it happening since they sold him for initially for £24m and he's scored 4 goals in 46 games since then.
    They had a buy back clause for £37m but bought him for £22m three years after selling him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    He still may be making $45K at Southampton
    Hope so! He needs to keep up his Rovers season ticket.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

23. Thanks From:

Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast