Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Bulgaria V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 3rd September 2020 - UEFA Nations League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    You did! I didn't and haven't but I can acknowledge when I see a decent performance. Still though 1 summer doesn't make a swallow
    Big of you, he'll be thrilled.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I don't get Wales at all.

Are they any good or what?

European semi-finalists - and it wasn't entirely unexpected - and yet very ordinary results other than that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    You need to speak slowly and clearly for del. He'll pick the 3% argument of a point made and use that as a battering ram.

Personally I thought Hendrick did well Thursday. The best of a poor lot but no one else seems to agree because they're clouded by a 45 min showing from one or two others.
    There's a lot of that on here and has been for years. James 'Iniesta' McCarthy the world class Crystal Palace bench warmer has been dropped tonight so we'll see how the new midfield does.

Even if its a brilliant performance you'll see the usual come out of the woodwork to say that's because Hourihane or Hendrick have been dropped even though they were both better than McCarthy on Thursday.

And DeLorean I'm not talking about you before you reply saying you never said he was excellent I'm talking about the comments regarding McCarthy being our best midfielder by far, irreplaceable and we don't deserve him.
    Last edited by youngirish; 06/09/2020 at 7:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Great to see you back, chief. You didn't even gloat on the 5.
    much respect.
    You don't need to gloat when ye're the GOAT.

Also I'll wait for the sixth to do that.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    There's a lot of that on here and has been for years. James 'Iniesta' McCarthy the world class Crystal Palace bench warmer has been dropped tonight so we'll see how the new midfield does.

Even if its a brilliant performance you'll see the usual come out of the woodwork to say that's because Hourihane or Hendrick have been dropped even though they were both better than McCarthy on Thursday.

And DeLorean I'm not talking about you before you reply sayign you never said he was excellent I'm talking about the comments regarding McCarthy being our best midfielder by far, irreplaceable and we don't deserve him.
    hey kid it was shown today. If fit Jimbo McCarthy is irreplaceable.

The question mark is...according to Matty Holland..where.to.place.JImbo? for me further on the pitch to dictate the tempo of the match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    We don't use nicknames here.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't get Wales at all.

Are they any good or what?

European semi-finalists - and it wasn't entirely unexpected - and yet very ordinary results other than that
    The Euro semi final was a bit of an outlier - they are in no way one of the top four teams in Europe.

However, they have a small number of exceptional players at the moment, Bale and Ramsey particularly of course, that gives them an edge on the other middle of the road European teams, such as ourselves. That really does make a huge difference - I've seen Bale pretty much single handedly drag them out of a potentially embarrassing situation against Andorra a few years ago and Ramsey was crucial towards the end of the Euro campaign in terms of their late run to qualification.

I think Giggs is more of a handicap to them than a help and when you take either of the two lads out of the team they look very ordinary. But for the next couple of campaigns they'll still have them available so will still have that advantage for now. 2022 is huge for Wales, if those two retire without Wales reaching a World Cup it will be hugely disappointing for them and the "country" (or whatever Wales is, I'm not sure), they blew it against us in 2017 and after 2022 they will probably never have as good a chance to qualify again.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

And DeLorean I'm not talking about you before you reply saying you never said he was excellent I'm talking about the comments regarding McCarthy being our best midfielder by far, irreplaceable and we don't deserve him.
    I know, the thanks brigade as I christened them. Its mainly why I stopped posting on here for a long while. But now we have got some of the good, old, sensible and most importantly reality biting posters back, i'm frequenting foot.ie again more often.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Hang on, so the "thanks brigade" are the same people who are the most positive about McCarthy? I'd be curious to know who you consider to be a member of your "thanks brigade" and then to see what their views on McCarthy have been.

And generally, we all have opinions. None is more grounded in reality than any others. An opinion that coincides with yours is no less real than any other opinion. You should really get over yourself.

But I'm glad that you included "old" posters as reason for your increased output here.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Hang on, so the "thanks brigade" are the same people who are the most positive about McCarthy? I'd be curious to know who you consider to be a member of your "thanks brigade" and then to see what their views on McCarthy have been.
    C'mon Stutts you have to admit that some of the posts on here about a very average Premiership midfielder being a far superior player to other admittedly quite average Premiership midfielders have been ridiculous.

Look through some of the previous posts about James McCarthy on this and his own thread. There are mentions of us not losing when he plays which was shown to be nonsense, he being irreplaceable (I would say he is replaceable to the extent you wouldn't even notice) and us not deserving of a player of his quality because we criticised him for being poor against Bulgaria as if he was a modern day Keane or Viera.

These opinions are not grounded in reality. Not any reality I exist in since giving up LSD anyway.
    Last edited by youngirish; 07/09/2020 at 2:24 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    For me, there’s a group of people who believe McCarthy, despite being unable to fill his potential due to injuries, is still worth starting.

At worst, he’s a deluxe version of Glenn Whelan. That’s not an insult. McCarthy’s reading of the game and positioning are key to protecting our back four.

Where I think McCarthy is better than Whelan is on the ball. Ideally he will be fitter and more engaged next month in driving the team forward. I think a month of matches will make a real difference for him and our other midfielders.

Much of the criticism directed to McCarthy here is straw man stuff. The only people suggesting a comparison to former Barcelona players are his critics, not those advocating for his inclusion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The question is a new era a new start, realistically are we going to get even 2 more years out of him? I'd say we will be lucky to be honest, certainly not two more(consecutive) years injury free and fully fit.

But its also not like we have any other options.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    C'mon Stutts you have to admit that some of the posts on here about a very average Premiership midfielder being a far superior player to other admittedly quite average Premiership midfielders have been ridiculous

Look through some of the previous posts about James McCarthy on this and his own thread. There are mentions of us not losing when he plays which was shown to be nonsense, he being irreplaceable (I would say he is replaceable to the extent you wouldn't even notice) and us not deserving of a player of his quality because we criticised him for being poor against Bulgaria as if he was a modern day Keane or Viera/

These opinions are not grounded in reality. Not any reality I exist in since giving up LSD anyway.
    I'm actually a McCarthy-sceptic myself. I think he's OK but I really want to see more from him. Trap's "shy personalitee" criticism is still true. But I'd have him close or in my XI right now simply because I can see no real other alternative other than Cullen, who I think you and I both like. I tend to pretty much forget about McCarthy anyway because he is so rarely fit youd be mad to base your plans on him. Remember when Stan & Robson stated early that Steven Reid was their main man in CM? I think he played about twice thereafter!

My gripe is really in Paul's post which to me read like "you and me YI, we're the only realistc ones here in general, and it's kind of why I came back. I came up with a funny nickname for all the others who are the ones who are OTT in their appreciation of McCarthy" even though there's no clear link (to me) between this so-called Thanks Brigade and their McCarthy opinions.

So I'm really just asking Paul who are these Thanks Brigade and show me the link to their McCarthy opinions.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Much of the criticism directed to McCarthy here is straw man stuff. The only people suggesting a comparison to former Barcelona players are his critics, not those advocating for his inclusion.
    Not true. Describing someone as irreplaceable, saying we don't lose when they are in the team, saying we don't deserve them because we criticised them slightly due to another abject performance in an Irish shirt are all indications that the player is put on a pedestal above similarly talented midfielders like Hendrick and Hourihane who seem fair game for criticism from the same posters singing McCarthy's praises. To dismiss this fact and say we are criticising him unfairly is nonsense and ignoring the evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The point is that McCarthy is available and fit now, and he proved last year, certainly before the COVID restart, that he can be a competent defensive central midfielder in the Premier League. I acknowledge he didn’t look particularly good after the restart but Palace as a whole looked terrible and I don’t attribute the struggles specifically to James or any one player.

We have nobody else available who can play that specific role as the deepest lying central midfielder. I think Cullen COULD play there but is untested — I’d like to see him tried there potentially in a Nations League game next month.

Arter has played there for us but honestly it’s not his best position. A box to box role where we can take advantage of his energy, without being shackled to a holding role is where we’ll get the best out of him.

If we get two years out of McCarthy and that’s it, and it means we get to two major tournaments, that will be a job well done and a nice reward for a player who has missed so much time through no fault of his own, also showing tremendous determination to make comeback after comeback.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Not true. Describing someone as irreplaceable, saying we don't lose when they are in the team, saying we don't deserve them because we criticised them slightly due to another abject performance in an Irish shirt are all indications that the player is put on a pedestal above similarly talented midfielders like Hendrick and Hourihane who seem fair game for criticism from the same posters singing McCarthy's praises. To dismiss this fact and say we are criticising him unfairly is nonsense and ignoring the evidence.
    Here’s the deal. McCarthy is our only holding/defensive midfielder. Maybe Cullen can usurp him. Hourihane and Hendrick have played that role for us but it’s simply not their role and they rarely do it at club level.

In that sense McCarthy is irreplaceable. We have nobody proven to replace him with, it’s not to suggest a better player doesn’t exist in the world or in our past or future.

In this moment in time, he’s irreplaceable.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'm actually a McCarthy-sceptic myself. I think he's OK but I really want to see more from him. Trap's "shy personalitee" criticism is still true. But I'd have him close or in my XI right now simply because I can see no real other alternative other than Cullen, who I think you and I both like. I tend to pretty much forget about McCarthy anyway because he is so rarely fit youd be mad to base your plans on him. Remember when Stan & Robson stated early that Steven Reid was their main man in CM? I think he played about twice thereafter!

My gripe is really in Paul's post which to me read like "you and me YI, we're the only realistc ones here in general, and it's kind of why I came back. I came up with a funny nickname for all the others who are the ones who are OTT in their appreciation of McCarthy" even though there's no clear link (to me) between this so-called Thanks Brigade and their McCarthy opinions.

So I'm really just asking Paul who are these Thanks Brigade and show me the link to their McCarthy opinions.
    A sensible response as always Stutts. I have no gripe with McCarthy I just think he's another in a long line of very similar, very average midfielders that have been the bane of the Irish setup for years.

I personally think they all should start to be phased out and thankfully it looks to me that Kenny will do just that.

Start replacing them with Molumby, Cullen, Browne, Smallbone, Coventry, Taylor and Shipley provided these guys can get regular football this season at Championship level or higher and we may have a team in 3 or 4 years that can challenge for qualification. With these old journeymen in the team we won't qualify for the next World Cup anyway so let's roll the dice, take the risk and see what falls out. It couldn't be much worse than what we've had to endure over the past few seasons..
    Last edited by youngirish; 07/09/2020 at 1:20 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

I'm happy to do a top ten reveal, when things settle down here. There'll be anticipation no doubt, but rest assured you'll be well in there. You can be sure of that.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Jeepers, I'm horrified that you've identified me as someone who regularly uses the thanks button for what it's actually meant for, you know for when I agree with most of a post or for showing good manners to appreciate a well made argument even if I don't agree with it.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    We don't use nicknames here.
    Well said, Tets.

28. Thanks From:

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast