Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...could-opt-out/

Cant stand that plonker, reckon he should keep his trap shut at the moment and not threaten clubs who are in a tricky situation.
    What has he said that's wrong? Clubs have to obey contract law? What an ******* for even thinking about saying as much, looking out for the people it's his job to represent, who does he think he is?

Theres no point denying some clubs think that no football means no paying the players when that simply isn't true so they clearly need reminding that that's the case

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    No football does mean no paying the players for most clubs though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    It doesn’t invalidate their contract though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    It doesn't.

But they still wont be paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    It doesn’t invalidate their contract though.
    I'm kind of surprised there isn't some boilerplate force majeure clause in the contracts. Well, not in this league: I'm sure most of the clubs have legal representation on a par with Lionel Hutz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Is Fanny Gavin still claiming credit for creating this atmosphere for the clubs?

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    No games may mean they don't get paid in that the clubs don't pay them. It doesn't mean that the clubs aren't still obliged to pay them, which is the issue at hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    While players are entitled to what their contract says, if they try to force it through then clubs/league goes bust & they are long term unemployed?

It's not like the majority of the players in this league can go elsewhere to get paid to play football. Players are getting screwed but given the situation Im not sure how much pressure they can put on clubs

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    If Fran Gavin was in Gilloleys boots would peoples opinions of Gavin now change?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,245 Posts
    Bit of a moot question as he's not in Gilhooley's boots I guess.

Where does the €350 covid payment come into this? Are players getting this?

I imagine part-time players with regular employment would hardly get it twice? And amateur players - thinking UCD students - probably aren't entitled to it either? But then there must be some players who are on a pay increase as a result of it?

Does it count towards the amount the clubs owe to the players? Again, of course, this is complicated by the slightly unusual nature of a football contract.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    While players are entitled to what their contract says, if they try to force it through then clubs/league goes bust & they are long term unemployed?

It's not like the majority of the players in this league can go elsewhere to get paid to play football. Players are getting screwed but given the situation Im not sure how much pressure they can put on clubs
    Being completely honest if you're a player and you're options are

1) Force clubs to go under by asking for the money you're legally entitled to
    2) Let clubs off and go with no money between covid payment ending (August ish) and February
    3) Try force the clubs into playing in the hope that you might at least get some of the money you're owed and get to play football

You've to remember it's the clubs at the bottom of the Premier that are doing this, if they go under they'll probably just reform just in the first division and the first division clubs will come up next year so your chances of getting paid if the clubs go under aren't changing much.

Option 3 is a good compromise but clubs are banking on players not going with option 1 in an attempt to avoid option 3 and force option 2 which works out best for them in the short term. I know if I were a player I'd be calling their bluff anyway.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 15/06/2020 at 2:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The point is it's not a bluff though.

What would be a bluff would be players threatening to fold clubs if they don't pay.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    The point is it's not a bluff though.

What would be a bluff would be players threatening to fold clubs if they don't pay.
    A bluff isn't restricted to a one way thing, the clubs are calling the players bluff that they'll go to court to get the money while the players are calling the clubs bluff that they're willing to take that risk of potentially going to court.

Either way though its seriously damaging to the league that clubs are trying to get out of paying players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Either way though its seriously damaging to the league that clubs are trying to get out of paying players.
    Clubs not wanting to trade recklessly without essential gate receipt income means they are trying to get out of paying players?

These clubs look like they are getting even more grief from the PFAI than genuine player wage swindlers like Athlone and Bray were doing in recent years
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    A bluff isn't restricted to a one way thing, the clubs are calling the players bluff that they'll go to court to get the money while the players are calling the clubs bluff that they're willing to take that risk of potentially going to court.
    The idea that there are missed wages to be got from taking a LoI club to court for them is pure fantasy.

Gilhooley might as well write to Santa for it.

There'll be no going to court.

If it's one or two players with a beef at a club they'll take whatever few bob they can get as a settlement the closer it gets to Xmas.

If it's a squad of players with a beef and they want to take it to court??

Fold up the tent. Start a new company. Problem solved.

It's probably not very nice.

But it's the reality.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Clubs not wanting to trade recklessly without essential gate receipt income means they are trying to get out of paying players?

These clubs look like they are getting even more grief from the PFAI than genuine player wage swindlers like Athlone and Bray were doing in recent years
    The clubs that are skeptical about going back haven't even attempted to negotiate deferral of a portion of wages, or wage cut with players. It's clear as day that the finances are just an easy out for not returning.

Because the PFAI aren't being cut off at the knees by the FAI and the player representatives are pushing it now.

The idea that there are missed wages to be got from taking a LoI club to court for them is pure fantasy.

Gilhooley might as well write to Santa for it.

There'll be no going to court.

If it's one or two players with a beef at a club they'll take whatever few bob they can get as a settlement the closer it gets to Xmas.

If it's a squad of players with a beef and they want to take it to court??

Fold up the tent. Start a new company. Problem solved.

It's probably not very nice.

But it's the reality.
    And that's the point the players are making, as easy as it is to just fold up the club and start again it's a pain in the hole for any clubs with any sort of fixed assets or any European aspirations or that are holding out because they don't want to be relegated because if they fold they'll be relegated anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Time to throw Pats and Kelleher out of the league-

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    This is genuinely one of the most depressing episodes in my time following the league. Yes the FAI is a mess, but Seeing senior football teams not trying to play football just kills me.

What is the point of this? Do Sligo and Pats not have to honour their contracts? When the 350euro payment ends, what will their players do? If football is sanctioned to be played in August with fans, will we have to wait another month for teams to get their fitness back?

So many questions, but I feel like certain teams just want the league cancelled, and try to start up again next year.... baiscally dragging everyone down to their level, destroying any progress made in the last couple of years.

22. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Not sure that's true. I think the vast, vast majority of clubs want to play, TBH there's only one I am unsure on. But clubs can't return on the hope something will turn up down the line, we could kill a whole bunch of clubs that way.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    What is the point of this? Do Sligo and Pats not have to honour their contracts? When the 350euro payment ends, what will their players do? If football is sanctioned to be played in August with fans, will we have to wait another month for teams to get their fitness back?
    In fairness, the same could be said of lots of other industries. When the 350 payment ends, what will bar staff do? A lot of people will probably be out of work, and a lot of pubs will probably close.

It's obviously really unfortunate, but there's no reason football clubs should be so much different to every other industry.

Clubs can't operate if fans are banned; something needs to be worked out. And it's really tricky to get something suitable.

Page 35 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast