Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 34 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I don't see how any club can be eager to play without crowds. It doesn't make financial sense in Ireland. This isn't the Premier League or Serie A with millions aavailable va television broadcasts that can cover the costs. LoI clubs will lose money if they play without crowds. Unless the FAI or some other organisation is willing to make up the losses then how can we afford to play? I have no idea if Cork City are one of the teams in question but it wouldn't surprise me.
    There was a little piece reported last week, one of the Irish papers covered it, that UEFA were going to look into funding for the smaller leagues to help them during this, we would be in that bracket, no idea how much or when.
    Last edited by oriel; 10/06/2020 at 2:26 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    There was a little piece reported last week, one of the Irish papers covered it, that UEFA were going to look into funding for the smaller leagues to help them during this, we would be in that bracket, no idea how much or when.
    Sure, if there is funding in place and it makes sense then fine lets go ahead, but I don't think clubs are going to jump in without seeing guarantees, and specific numbers.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Such bull. If clubs can't be guaranteed financial stability then they wont return, why would they?

What if 3 or 4 PL clubs decide not to return cause its putting their future in jeopardy, what do they do then ... relegate all the clubs who dont play.
    For example if 6 clubs from each division vote to return and the other 7 clubs decide not to return then to avoid the whole promotion/relegation saga that it causing conflict in other countries would be to resume with both divisions merged with the 12 clubs who want to play and then when fans can attend games again hopefully in 2021 then plan for the LOI return in the 2022 season to the two 10 teams division with the bottom 9/10 teams relegated back in the First Division. I'm sure there will be problems but I can't see closed doors football with two tiny divisions and no promotion or relegation ever working
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    From chatting to one of the Section O lads on our messager we reckon that unless theres promotion and relegation why play at all and I would imagine a lot of the other loi clubs are in the same boat.
    I know with generous sponsors with us we dont have to rely as much as gate receipts so I suppose each club would have their own set of circumstances.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    For example if 6 clubs from each division vote to return and the other 7 clubs decide not to return then to avoid the whole promotion/relegation saga that it causing conflict in other countries would be to resume with both divisions merged with the 12 clubs who want to play and then when fans can attend games again hopefully in 2021 then plan for the LOI return in the 2022 season to the two 10 teams division with the bottom 9/10 teams relegated back in the First Division. I'm sure there will be problems but I can't see closed doors football with two tiny divisions and no promotion or relegation ever working
    Anything is a possibility TH. Trouble with drastic changes like that, it means you really have moved away completely from the competition that has 5 games played. You would really have to start the league again in a case like that and I dont think Shams fans would be too happy.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I'd be happy enough with starting again from scratch, why wouldn't I be, to be honest at the moment I'd be happy with starting at 2005 levels with 8 points deducted just to get to a game again, lets not forget wether you're club is shít or good at the moment, we all want to get back to watch games, but only if we can all get back together and safely

Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Anything is a possibility TH. Trouble with drastic changes like that, it means you really have moved away completely from the competition that has 5 games played. You would really have to start the league again in a case like that and I dont think Shams fans would be too happy.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Brief statement from FAI. Sadly, the word ‘productive’ hasn’t come up in early enquiries about today’s events. ‘All over the place’ was a more cutting description. Daniel McDonnell on twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    After today's shambles I'll be amazed if this is 4 team tournament doesn't turn out to be the only LOI football seen for the rest of 2020
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The fai are flat broke and have no revenue due to pandemic what do people expect. 75% of clubs can’t exist without matchday revenue .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    The fai are flat broke and have no revenue due to pandemic what do people expect. 75% of clubs can’t exist without matchday revenue .
    The vibe from the FAI seems to be to eat the losses and play on regardless. We all want football back ASAP but not to the long term harm of our clubs. The teams that have Europe to aim for should be allowed train and play a mini tournament but the rest of the clubs shouldn’t be forced back against their wishes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    What's the opposite of the phrase "A rising tide lifts all boats".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    901 Posts
    Iceberg dead ahead?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Iceberg dead ahead?
    Bless all souls on the SS John Delaney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    So are we going to be the only league in Europe not to play football in 2020 ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McDonnell
    Talks took place tonight between FAI & the four European clubs - as the idea they would give up a portion of UEFA prizemoney to facilitate a restart is now being actively debated. More on this in @IndoSport tomorrow (as the saga continues)
    This is being mentioned in regard to the Irish League too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Under the circumstances sharing and caring might be the only way forward. It might even build some goodwill when it comes to supporting future projects. Whether you can read too much in to Shane Ross's comments but he seemed quite emphatic about prioritising support for 'summer based' competitions and those who rely almost entirely on gate receipts and where livlihoods are at stake. If ye didnt know better it sounded like he was laying the ground work for the shock of LoI getting the most significant support. The GAA could wrangle money out of any broke government but they have significant cash reserves as an organisation that can pull them through with or without crowds and of course they are all amatuer after all. Rugby is feeling a relative pinch due to centralised contracts but still have enough in the pot just about. Olympics being deferred means that the elite athlete money that usually ramps up as the Olympic cycle progresses could see a deferral of some funding. So who knows...it would be some fun if the FAI/LoI got a big slice of a small pie - whether relevant it would be a bit of a rap on the knuckles if LoI rather than FAI had the funding directed to them. What about deferring pension payments due as a wedge of that could go a bit. Maybe the various investigations might be a lttle bit more vigorous in their findings and subsequent sanction - long shot!

What's the opposite of the phrase "A rising tide lifts all boats", as per the quay in Dundalk its No matter the tide firmly stuck in mud! (that the nearby sewage plant has contributed to...)

As an aside, the shift on the use of facemasks in places where social distancing is difficult is actually a help to fans returning especially if there is reduced capacities or certain areas of ground closed off. The numbers are positive as pubs and clubs scramble to get reopened. With games in outdoor spaces in comparison and the change in tone on resurgance and how it would be managed differently does help things.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 12/06/2020 at 6:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...could-opt-out/

Cant stand that plonker, reckon he should keep his trap shut at the moment and not threaten clubs who are in a tricky situation.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    And from the office across the hall comes the stick..

A few new clowns but still the same old circus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...could-opt-out/

Cant stand that plonker, reckon he should keep his trap shut at the moment and not threaten clubs who are in a tricky situation.
    I agree with your assessment of him, but I do think in this instance he has a point. Players who could be playing but can’t because their club has decided they won’t participate will still be entitled to their contract being fulfilled or at least agreement on some settlement.

Page 34 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast