Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Given To Man Utd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Article on IC Newcastle Today - Given to Arsenal?

Gunners train their sights on Shay

By Miles Starforth, The Evening Chronicle

Arsenal will move for Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given should they fail to sign Chelsea's Carlo Cudicini.

But the Magpies will fight any attempt to sign Given, who has two years left on his St James' Park contract and re-stated his commitment to the club back in March.

Should Graeme Souness lose the Republic of Ireland international, however, he would move for Blackburn Rovers' American No 1 Brad Friedel, who he took to Ewood Park four-and-a-half years ago.

Souness also has long-serving Steve Harper, who would hope to inherit Given's No 1 jersey should the Irishman ever leave St James'.

The 29-year-old, voted United's best player in a Chronicle poll of fans this week, has also been linked to Manchester United, who released goalkeepers Roy Carroll and Ricardo yesterday, but Arsenal's interest is stronger.

Goalkeeping has long been an area that has let the Gunners down, and Wenger will sign a stopper to compete with FA Cup-winning Jens Lehmann in the summer as he bids to challenge Chelsea for next season's Premiership crown.

Cudicini is Wenger's first choice, but Chelsea are hoping to keep the Italian and have offered him an extended contract at Stamford Bridge, where Petr Cech is Jose Mourinho's No 1.

He has been offered a new four-year £50,000-a-week deal by the Premiership winners.

Friedel, meanwhile, has a year left on his current Blackburn contract and talks have already started on a new Rovers deal.

Then Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan tried to sign Friedel, now 34, back in 1995 but after an appeal for a work permit failed, he signed for Brondby.

Ohio-born Friedel made 10 appearances for Brondby before moving on to Galatasaray, where Souness was then manager.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Given's being linked with Barcelona today:
    The Mirror
    EXCLUSIVE: BARCA EYE GIVEN BID
    By Simon Bird

MANCHESTER UNITED will have to hold off Barcelona if they are to sign Newcastle keeper Shay Given.

The Spanish champions have targeted Given as a replacement for under-fire keeper Victor Valdes and are monitoring the Irishman's situation on Tyneside.

After Newcastle finished 14th in the Premiership, Given questioned the "direction" of the club casting doubts on his future at the Magpies.

United, who last week ditched Roy Carroll, are favourites to sign the Irish No.1, but Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd insists he has not received any offers.

Advertisement

United have already been snubbed by Juventus goalkeeper Luigi Buffon - because he is too Italian.

"Going to England doesn't interest me," said the Italy keeper. "I don't behave like a typical Anglo-Saxon - the idea of England doesn't tempt me at all."

Barca boss Frank Rijkaard wants five new players including a keeper, and has also watched Tottenham's England stopper Paul Robinson.
    A step up from Breen and Harte I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    dont see barcelona signing a top class keeper, they've finally got a good one, so all they'd be looking for i'd imagine is a back up. given wouldn't go to any club as a back up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinR
    dont see barcelona signing a top class keeper, they've finally got a good one, so all they'd be looking for i'd imagine is a back up. given wouldn't go to any club as a back up.
    Well it does say in the article:

"The Spanish champions have targeted Given as a replacement for under-fire keeper Victor Valdes"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Well it does say in the article:

"The Spanish champions have targeted Given as a replacement for under-fire keeper Victor Valdes"
    oops, maybe i should read the articles before replying. still cant see barca wanting rid or replacing valdes, they haven't had a good keeper in years, so why get rid of the first good one (and a young one as well) that comes along.

plus, for given's sake, barca is not a good club to be a keeper at

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123