Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 54 of 81 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1620

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    why do people think kelleher has hidden from pressure? hes played in full internationals for ireland and cup finals for liverpool, hes done well with the pressure in those games. he was getting grief on here 2 weeks ago because people think he looks too casual with the ball at his feet! people need to make their minds up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I think the goalkeeper debate has created a polarisation of views on this forum to some extent. I think some Bazunu advocates are overly critical of Kelleher, to the extent that if Kelleher had conceded the goal against France, there would be comments about his footwork, positioning and shot stopping ability.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I think the goalkeeper debate has created a polarisation of views on this forum to some extent. I think some Bazunu advocates are overly critical of Kelleher, to the extent that if Kelleher had conceded the goal against France, there would be comments about his footwork, positioning and shot stopping ability.
    yes its the baby culture war in irish football atm, kenny in/out still leads the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Sorry seanfhear, I dont mean this as a dig at you here but this is something that drives me nuts. Top professionals in any industry dont shy away from pressure, big jobs come with a certain amount of pressure. It doesnt matter if its in business or sports, if you dont want any pressure then stay where its nice and comfortable, but dont expect to improve. We are seeing a lot of comments these days that we shouldnt be putting too much pressure on Evan Ferguson. Let him stay at Brighton for a few years etc. Top players want to play at the highest level possible. If Champions League clubs come in for Ferguson he would absolutely have to consider it. Staying at Brighton considering he is only 18 would still be fine of course, but if the big boys are offering massive money then how does he not move, given that you never know what happens in future with injuries etc.

Same with Kelleher here, he 24, his time of hiding from pressure should be long past. Fair enough if the best offer he gets is from the Championship then thats where he should go, but not as a way to keep the pressure down a bit.
    That is all well and good from Kellehers point of view, but what top flight manager, 13 sacked so far this season, is going to risk his job on an unproven goalie, with a handful of professional games to his name, and put him into his first 11??

Kelleher needs to be playing. It’s no good for his own development moving from Liverpool’s bench to another teams bench.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    That is all well and good from Kellehers point of view, but what top flight manager, 13 sacked so far this season, is going to risk his job on an unproven goalie, with a handful of professional games to his name, and put him into his first 11??

Kelleher needs to be playing. It’s no good for his own development moving from Liverpool’s bench to another teams bench.
    He certainly needs to be playing alright.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    There's a good reason for that though. Franny Jeffers being famous prime example of why a big move at a young age can be a terrible idea. And there are many more.
    And there are plenty that work too.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

You may have missed the part where I said if the best offer he gets is from the Championship that's fair enough

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I don’t think you realise that playing for Liverpool in the champions league, in a cup final and internationally is of more value to a premier league manager than Bazunu’s appearances in League 1.

Why would a premier league manager sign him? Cause he’s objectively a better goalkeeper than Vincente Guaita, Danny Ward, and Illan Meslier - and if you’re a team replacing their keeper, as a team like Aston Villa might be (if Martinez ends up at Spurs), Kelleher is an affordable player with real upside and potential, who if you don’t sign now, you may not be able to sign again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Sometimes it's a reaction to hype too. Blind optimism can be as annoying as the pessimism.
    I've probably been guilty of both on this thread alone...

Kelleher's path could work out very well for him. Maybe better than Bazunu throwing himself into the EPL deep end. I do still have questions around how he will handle the physical and mental rigors of a full season and I don't think the questions around how he handles pressure are that unusual either. Could we really call any of the league cup games or friendlies/NL games for Ireland high pressure scenarios? I'm not too sure but to be honest, but my memory is crap. He looks calm and composed and he does well in peno shootouts but he hasn't really played any games where losing was a disaster has he?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I've probably been guilty of both on this thread alone...

Kelleher's path could work out very well for him. Maybe better than Bazunu throwing himself into the EPL deep end. I do still have questions around how he will handle the physical and mental rigors of a full season and I don't think the questions around how he handles pressure are that unusual either. Could we really call any of the league cup games or friendlies/NL games for Ireland high pressure scenarios? I'm not too sure but to be honest, but my memory is crap. He looks calm and composed and he does well in peno shootouts but he hasn't really played any games where losing was a disaster has he?

denigrating the league cup seems to be all the rage. he played in a cup final and if he didnt make the saves/score his pen they'd have lost. are you saying losing a final at wembley doesnt matter to players? its entirely possible to give the lad a bit of credit aswell, strange i know

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Nobody can know how good Kelleher can be, until he is playing regularly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I don’t think you realise that playing for Liverpool in the champions league, in a cup final and internationally is of more value to a premier league manager than Bazunu’s appearances in League 1.

Why would a premier league manager sign him? Cause he’s objectively a better goalkeeper than Vincente Guaita, Danny Ward, and Illan Meslier - and if you’re a team replacing their keeper, as a team like Aston Villa might be (if Martinez ends up at Spurs), Kelleher is an affordable player with real upside and potential, who if you don’t sign now, you may not be able to sign again.
    I don't think you can say that about a guy who has only played 30 senior games in his career, we just don't have the body of evidence to say he's at that level. Evan Ferguson will have played more senior football than him by the end of this season, and he's 18.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

16. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    but he hasn't really played any games where losing was a disaster has he?
    there's very few games where losing is a disaster to be fair

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    there's very few games where losing is a disaster to be fair
    I mean not on the scale of a biblical flood but there's far more at stake in WC qualifiers, relegation 6 pointers and European promotion deciders than any games he's played in so far.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    denigrating the league cup seems to be all the rage. he played in a cup final and if he didnt make the saves/score his pen they'd have lost. are you saying losing a final at wembley doesnt matter to players? its entirely possible to give the lad a bit of credit aswell, strange i know
    I have given him credit but the league cup is what it is. Great day for him and probably the highlight of his career so far but nobody was going home crying if they lost. Or maybe they would have, they put out a strong team. I just don't think it gives us the complete signal. It's a short campaign so I don't think it really tells us much about his ability to handle the pressure of a league campaign where fans can turn on you after bad performances etc. Bazunu is facing that right now for better or worse.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 07/04/2023 at 6:28 PM.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I mean not on the scale of a biblical flood but there's far more at stake in WC qualifiers, relegation 6 pointers and European promotion deciders than any games he's played in so far.
    Fair. He's played Champions League group stages as well of course. Turned out to be an easy game, but still a big game. You'd like to think a thing keeper will put pressure on himself in every game too, though I know that's a different kind of pressure.

But look, if he gets a move and gets regular time even in the Championship, that'll be good

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Linked with Brighton, Brentford and Spurs at the moment. Though football rumours are often unreliable, so we'll have to wait and see what happens

https://www.balls.ie/football/premie...elleher-553368

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    The Brentford rumour comes from the S*n, make of that what you will
    Interesting that the independent article that inspired the balls.ie post - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...431462727.html - includes this transfer rumour
    Meanwhile, West Ham are hoping to beat competition from a host of Premier League rivals, including Chelsea and Tottenham, to sign Ireland youth prospect Joe O’Brien-Whitmarsh.
    The 17-year-old midfielder is currently playing for Cork City and has already had a trial at West Ham a couple of years ago, with the club keeping a close eye on his progress ever since.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    cant believe a PL club are thinking of giving him a chance. has he not been wasting away for 3 years?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Fair. He's played Champions League group stages as well of course. Turned out to be an easy game, but still a big game.
    He played for Liverpool against Chelsea in the premier league when Liverpool were neck and neck with City going for the title. I guess that’s a low pressure game?

Some of the stuff on this thread is kinda mad.

26. Thanks From:

Page 54 of 81 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast