Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: All-Ireland League Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timothydec77 View Post
    I don't know how having an all Ireland league would be dramatically better than the present as the Irish League is in a worse situation than LOI.
    In what ways? Genuinely interested and to prevent Ealing Green spontaneouly combusting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    I don't know how having an all Ireland league would be dramatically better than the present as the Irish League is in a worse situation than LOI.
    Very true.

I mean, what could the likes of Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville or Larne add that isn't already right there in front of your eyes in Kerry, Mayo, CK or Meath?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Very true.

I mean, what could the likes of Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville or Larne add that isn't already right there in front of your eyes in Kerry, Mayo, CK or Meath?
    How are their GAA teams going at the moment ? !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I'm not sure why we continually stick in EG's craw, but if we can maintain a seasonal average in the 600-800 region, and incrementally progress the points tally on a yearly basis, that should suffice to maintain Kerry as a stable concern. On the broader issue, the first question would have to be whether the IFA would consider a switch to calendar-year soccer, as a precursor to any debate over cross-border formats.

5. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very true.

All those clubs in the North you have mentioned have long and fine records.

My point was to draw attention to the fact that an All Ireland wouldn't be the utopia that some assume it would be.

Many in Northern Ireland would be more interested in looking to Scotland for areas of future cooperation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    I'm not sure why we continually stick in EG's craw, but if we can maintain a seasonal average in the 600-800 region, and incrementally progress the points tally on a yearly basis, that should suffice to maintain Kerry as a stable concern.
    Ok, excise Kerry from my observation and replace them with... .... Irish Sea FC?

To be serious, I have no opinion for or against Kerry FC, they're an interesting experiment and good luck to them. It's just that even assuming they make a go of it as you suggest - and I did refer to them previously as an outlier - I find the idea of the LOI expanding to a pyramid via a County/Youth League model an almost bizarre idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    All those clubs in the North you have mentioned have long and fine records.

My point was to draw attention to the fact that an All Ireland wouldn't be the utopia that some assume it would be.
    Ah right, got your drift.

But I would qualify your comment by saying that an all-Ireland league could in principle be capable of developing club football in Ireland, North and South, if a workable model could be devised.

But it's just that I think that the obstacles to agreeing such a model in practical terms, are so numerous and so high as to be insurmountable, at least for the foreseeable future.

Many in Northern Ireland would be more interested in looking to Scotland for areas of future cooperation.
    Not seen any evidence of that myself, but even if there somehow was, I think you'd find zero appetite for that in Scotland itself.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 19/02/2024 at 2:13 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Very true.

Ahh now, even you know that's silly EG.

You can't compare Tier 2 and even non-existing poitential Tier 3 clubs with the top sides in the IL PD.

Take a look at the opening night attendances for the LOI versus for the IL last August for a better idea of how each league is doing. And that's with capacity restrictions at pretty much every LOI PD ground, and not in the IL.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 19/02/2024 at 2:28 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Ok, excise Kerry from my observation and replace them with... .... Irish Sea FC?

To be serious, I have no opinion for or against Kerry FC, they're an interesting experiment and good luck to them. It's just that even assuming they make a go of it as you suggest - and I did refer to them previously as an outlier - I find the idea of the LOI expanding to a pyramid via a County/Youth League model an almost bizarre idea.
    Kerry FC are a football team, not an "interesting experiment". All you need to watch them is a match ticket, not a lab coat and goggles.

All football clubs have to begin life at some point in time. Sneering at those who have done so more recetly is not a good look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    You can't compare Tier 2 and even non-existing poitential Tier 3 clubs with the top sides in the IL PD.
    You've missed my point.

On the basis that the rationale behind combining the two leagues would be to expand and develop club football throughout the island, then the best of the IL would surely add far more to the mix than could be derived from the proposed new 3rd Tier, or even the 10 club LOI FD.

I mean, in the absence of a genuine pyramid, where else* could the LOI go in exploiting the country's untapped potential?

* - If we disregard the practical considerations which would prevent an AIL from getting of the ground, that is.

Take a look at the opening night attendances for the LOI versus for the IL last August for a better idea of how each league is doing. And that's with capacity restrictions at pretty much every LOI PD ground, and not in the IL.
    I'm not denying that the LOI is making impressive advances in many regards.

But my point is that this is all pretty much confined to the same 12 or 14 clubs, with little or no prospect of that select group being expanded, even despite the country itself, which has a clear appetite for football, growing in terms of population and disposable wealth etc all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Kerry FC are a football team, not an "interesting experiment". All you need to watch them is a match ticket, not a lab coat and goggles.

All football clubs have to begin life at some point in time. Sneering at those who have done so more recetly is not a good look.
    Did you miss my "Good luck to them" comment? Or did it suit you to overlook it in your customary attempt to pick holes in everything I ever post?

Anyhow, I'm not sneering at Kerry FC, rather it's that even if they succeed in becoming established etc, I remain sceptical of the notion that the County/Youth/Reserves model offers any reaL prospect of making up a genuine third tier of a pyramid which in turn could properly exploit the untapped potential for club football in ROI which I alluded to above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

But it's just that I think that the obstacles to agreeing such a model in practical terms, are so numerous and so high as to be insurmountable, at least for the foreseeable future.
    Do you guys play with circular pitches and triangles for goals up there?

Also, welcome back!

I'm convinced if I said All-Ireland League 3 times at a mirror, Ealing Green would appear behind me.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Comments have been used in the past here like 'the failed Dublin City experiment' Kildare County, Galway 'United', Wexford Youth. It wasnt said with derision. If others are watching Kerry and waiting to see how they fare eg Meath, Monaghan/Cavan well they are a type of experiment though started with every intention of succeeding rather than trial and error. I sway toward Ealing Greens opinion on the development of the game in and under LoI. I am skeptical of the county model, for example, while agreeing that Kerry are a success so far, I hope not but they could yet fail as any club could tbh. I differ in opinion on how the game here should be developed but having that difference of opinion is not derision of efforts made. Is to question something sneering EYG? I know the art of debate is endangered, that much of society has moved to if you are not with me you are against me, but Id expect the long term members here would be more immune to the stifling of differences in opinion?!

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Oh, absolutely, wasn't having a go at EalingGreen at all, he always makes valuable points, just stating that any new clubs will be content to grow extremely gradually, having watched Fingal previously, which will hopefully make them more sustainable.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Out of respect for difference plese please use Soccer as the term of choice in Kerry and the wider game in southern parts.

Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    ....if the IFA would consider a switch to calendar-year soccer, as a precursor to any debate over cross-border formats.
    Out of respct for difference please please use football as the term of choice in Derry and the wider game in northern parts.

Cant even get even get a common name for the sport never mind seasons or developing pyramid systems....how about soccerball so there is fully agreed mutually disliked compromise across the board - like Irelands Call!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 19/02/2024 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    652 Posts
    The AIL wont happen until there is a united Ireland IMO (and lets not go down that rabbit hole).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Did you miss my "Good luck to them" comment? Or did it suit you to overlook it in your customary attempt to pick holes in everything I ever post?
    Seriously paranoid 'Why always me?' persecution vibes here Ealing Green

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I even responded to anything you wrote here. It must have been very many months ago.

And as other people alluded to in their posts, you do have a history of taking little shots at Kerry FC for daring to be a new club. Shame on thenn for not being around when the Vikings were here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Ealing Green would be the first to have a history of taking little shots at club or repeating a points made previously would he now EatYerGreens!

Kerry are the poster boys for this model of clubs stepping up to senior football so its understandable when they are often used in arguments for an against proposals, Kildare, Dublin City are regularly referred to also among others. If the example fits it gets used.
    As I have mentioned before, now a few times, I think the Kerry model is too much a broad appeasing of junior club officials in an an area than it is trying to have a wider fanbase. The same will be said about Meath and we have the often used example of how things hapened in Galway football and the ultimately ridiculous situation that panned out of having 3 United clubs in a small city after people basically fell out or had different targets in mind. Not every county model will fail but even in the established GAA setup there are rumbles of counties merging to manufacture competativeness. A pyrmid system is needed and can be implemented by simply havig the FAI join the dots in a like it or lump it manner and access to the highest level of the game is on merit. Imo and again in repeating my opinion, it is the organic growth that comes with longer term merit bsed progress that adds proper sustainability to a club, imo more than parachuting sides in to leagues, possible as a vanity project of indibidual(s) or as some misguided attempt to make money via LoI access to the spoils of European competition and often missing that it takes time and resources to qualify for Europe ahead of a whole bunch of other clubs.

Long term growth potential of football on this island in terms of finance and improved European ranking is undoubtedly under an All Island collaberation between the 2 leagues. But there are no short cuts to this. Both leagues have to have the house in order and that cant be said from a LoI or FAI perspective- infrastructure, administration, oversight, funding etc all need to progress, uniting the game in RoI needs to come before uniting the island's game. Fast tracking franchise type clubs, creating desired structures, is not necessarily creating stability, the necessary stability that I feel is needed. Again, imo there are too many egoes, tiny fish in a growing pond that are terrified of losing their little fiefdom that are being accomodated, a small cohort of short sighted officials that cause disorportionate grief due to the fact that they are tolerated at all. Get everyone on the same hymn sheet, with the carrot and the stick and then look at where the possibilities are. I wont or cant comment on the IL or IFA in relation to their differing issues.

Kerry may seem to be working, but it will be fun to watch Athboy, play in Navan with a Navan club, try to get Trim and Dunshaughlin on board as Meath United and nobody thinking that Bernard O'Byrne as an official of possibly the smallest club involved, will irk officials of other clubs with his man in charge perssona. That Meath FC couldnt end up as Athboy Celtic rebranded, playing in Navan, and other scorned clubs in Meath then going at it themselves. It is as likely to happen as Wexford Youths making it work somehow. With respect to Kerry and Youths, I think there is too much cart before the horse stuff for a quick fix. I understand why its happening, I dont like knocking ambition and maybe Im being overly influenced by past fails but the damage if these clubs go bust or walk away is greater than having done nothing to change the status quo. Its needs to be done properly, incrementally, and sustainably - not on a hope for the best basis!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 20/02/2024 at 1:49 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Ealing Green would be the first to have a history of taking little shots at club or repeating a points made previously would he now EatYerGreens!

Kerry are the poster boys for this model of clubs stepping up to senior football so its understandable when they are often used in arguments for an against proposals, Kildare, Dublin City are regularly referred to also among others. If the example fits it gets used.
    As I have mentioned before, now a few times, I think the Kerry model is too much a broad appeasing of junior club officials in an an area than it is trying to have a wider fanbase. The same will be said about Meath and we have the often used example of how things hapened in Galway football and the ultimately ridiculous situation that panned out of having 3 United clubs in a small city after people basically fell out or had different targets in mind. Not every county model will fail but even in the established GAA setup there are rumbles of counties merging to manufacture competativeness. A pyrmid system is needed and can be implemented by simply havig the FAI join the dots in a like it or lump it manner and access to the highest level of the game is on merit. Imo and again in repeating my opinion, it is the organic growth that comes with longer term merit bsed progress that adds proper sustainability to a club, imo more than parachuting sides in to leagues, possible as a vanity project of indibidual(s) or as some misguided attempt to make money via LoI access to the spoils of European competition and often missing that it takes time and resources to qualify for Europe ahead of a whole bunch of other clubs.

Long term growth potential of football on this island in terms of finance and improved European ranking is undoubtedly under an All Island collaberation between the 2 leagues. But there are no short cuts to this. Both leagues have to have the house in order and that cant be said from a LoI or FAI perspective- infrastructure, administration, oversight, funding etc all need to progress, uniting the game in RoI needs to come before uniting the island's game. Fast tracking franchise type clubs, creating desired structures, is not necessarily creating stability, the necessary stability that I feel is needed. Again, imo there are too many egoes, tiny fish in a growing pond that are terrified of losing their little fiefdom that are being accomodated, a small cohort of short sighted officials that cause disorportionate grief due to the fact that they are tolerated at all. Get everyone on the same hymn sheet, with the carrot and the stick and then look at where the possibilities are. I wont or cant comment on the IL or IFA in relation to their differing issues.

Kerry may seem to be working, but it will be fun to watch Athboy, play in Navan with a Navan club, try to get Trim and Dunshaughlin on board as Meath United and nobody thinking that Bernard O'Byrne as an official of possibly the smallest club involved, will irk officials of other clubs with his man in charge perssona. That Meath FC couldnt end up as Athboy Celtic rebranded, playing in Navan, and other scorned clubs in Meath then going at it themselves. It is as likely to happen as Wexford Youths making it work somehow. With respect to Kerry and Youths, I think there is too much cart before the horse stuff for a quick fix. I understand why its happening, I dont like knocking ambition and maybe Im being overly influenced by past fails but the damage if these clubs go bust or walk away is greater than having done nothing to change the status quo. Its needs to be done properly, incrementally, and sustainably - not on a hope for the best basis!
    I don't think it's fair to burden Kerry with the hopes and expectations of senior football in other counties.

Let Kerry be Kerry, and leave other counties to worry about themselves.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Out of respect for difference plese please use Soccer as the term of choice in Kerry and the wider game in southern parts.

Out of respct for difference please please use football as the term of choice in Derry and the wider game in northern parts.

Cant even get even get a common name for the sport never mind seasons or developing pyramid systems....how about soccerball so there is fully agreed mutually disliked compromise across the board - like Irelands Call!
    David Beckham has started calling it Soccer due to his soccer interests in America.

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast