Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Idah F. Celtic (loan from Norwich City) b.2001

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Still another goal all the same though. He's building a nice tally .
    For sure. He's long needed a loan and he's done well enough with it. Was it Venezia he was linked with in January? I don't think that would have worked near as well for example. Celtic seems to have been the right move at the right time

How to kick on though? I think a summer move would be good - Norwich are flying and it's hard to see him making an impact there, especially if they go up (they're arguably the form team in the playoffs now). Does he go back to Celtic if he can't get in the team? Or is there a Plan C?

He's only scored once from play in his four starts and generally underwhelmed too. Four goals and an assist off the bench though. Being used now just as he was at Norwich. Hopefully won't get typecast

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Realistically he'll most likely be an impact sub option for us for the next few years too with Ferguson and Szmodics around the place. So it might not be the worst thing from our point of view. He could be our Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer, since it turns out that Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer isn't going to be our Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    For sure. He's long needed a loan and he's done well enough with it. Was it Venezia he was linked with in January? I don't think that would have worked near as well for example. Celtic seems to have been the right move at the right time

How to kick on though? I think a summer move would be good - Norwich are flying and it's hard to see him making an impact there, especially if they go up (they're arguably the form team in the playoffs now). Does he go back to Celtic if he can't get in the team? Or is there a Plan C?

He's only scored once from play in his four starts and generally underwhelmed too. Four goals and an assist off the bench though. Being used now just as he was at Norwich. Hopefully won't get typecast

hopefully he is advised wisely i.e get out of the championship. follow parrotts route and get a move to the continen, get a run of starts under his belt and then see how things go from there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Extract from Chris Sutton (copied from twitter, original Daily Record?) before today’s game;

If it wasn’t for Rabbi Matondo’s sublime equaliser, Idah would have gone down as an Old Firm hero.

As it was, he has only added to his case for a permanent transfer this summer. That’s six goals in just nine games for Idah – and only six starts– and I’m sure Norwich City fans will be wondering where it’s come from.

I don’t. I’ve always said he has ability and sometimes it just needs a change of scenery for a player to spark into life. By all accounts Idah was the one who really pushed for the move to Celtic and he’s really grabbed his chance. It wasn’t easy when he came in but he’s won over a lot of supporters.

There was some talk when he arrived that it would cost around £3m to get him on a permanent deal and if that’s the figure this summer, it would be an absolute steal. Idah has shown he can bring something different to the attack. Kyogo will always be the main man when fit, but it’s important to have a different option in certain games or coming off the bench.

When you consider some of the cash spent on strikers at Celtic in recent years, that would be small change to land a player who still has more developing to do and plenty of potential. If Idah does the business in the remainder of the campaign it would be a crying shame not to buy him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Lovely words from Chris Sutton. Now let's look back at how he predicted this move would go when the signing was announced back in January.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-41321524.html

Spoofer.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Fair point. I read that at the time but had forgotten.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Notice it's been a while since a post on this thread.

Idah has been playing around 20 or 25 minutes a game for Celtic since the international break. He always comes on around the 70 minute mark and has done the last 7 domestic games.

Rodgers plumping for Kyogo. And he can't be faulted in doing so given he is his permanent player.

But he definitely could have given Idah a start or two. No doubt about it. Idah came on against Rangers at the weekend and could have had a goal or two. Could have done better but the keeper was out well in both instances. If he were on for the 90, I'd imagine he could have scored alright, based on those 20 minutes.

Anyway, he looked on it like he did coming in against Switzerland. Charging around with pace and power, touch looking closer and dribbling more than he used to.

Unless Kyogo leaves I can't see why he'd join Celtic. Rodgers has probably put a ceiling on his value by not starting him. But if Celtic like the quoted price then I'm sure Idah would go there and get more games. And he would do well but he may not be the number 1 number 9.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Notice it's been a while since a post on this thread.

Idah has been playing around 20 or 25 minutes a game for Celtic since the international break. He always comes on around the 70 minute mark and has done the last 7 domestic games.

Rodgers plumping for Kyogo. And he can't be faulted in doing so given he is his permanent player.

But he definitely could have given Idah a start or two. No doubt about it. Idah came on against Rangers at the weekend and could have had a goal or two. Could have done better but the keeper was out well in both instances. If he were on for the 90, I'd imagine he could have scored alright, based on those 20 minutes.

Anyway, he looked on it like he did coming in against Switzerland. Charging around with pace and power, touch looking closer and dribbling more than he used to.

Unless Kyogo leaves I can't see why he'd join Celtic. Rodgers has probably put a ceiling on his value by not starting him. But if Celtic like the quoted price then I'm sure Idah would go there and get more games. And he would do well but he may not be the number 1 number 9.
    Rogers has annoyed me a bit by not finding a way to get both Kyogo and Idah in the team, but hard to argue too much given the results. Celtic have been playing well in the close of the season too. I think even though he has only been a sub Idah has done himself no harm at all. Hes impacted every game that hes come on, should have scored more but hes played well. Will be an interesting summer ahead for him, I wouldnt be surprised to see a number of clubs chasing him.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,321 Posts
    Has he played enough to earn a medal?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    13 league appearances (and two more games to play), so yes, he'll definitely get a winners medal. Potential double on the cards as well with the cup final to come. I think there's a good chance they'll sign him because they won't get many strikers to come to Glasgow with his age profile and ability for under £10m, and they can get Idah for under £10m.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    QUOTE=Razors left peg;2187407]Rogers has annoyed me a bit by not finding a way to get both Kyogo and Idah in the team, but hard to argue too much given the results. Celtic have been playing well in the close of the season too. I think even though he has only been a sub Idah has done himself no harm at all. Hes impacted every game that hes come on, should have scored more but hes played well. Will be an interesting summer ahead for him, I wouldnt be surprised to see a number of clubs chasing him.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this.

I think O'Riley is an issue here too because you could sacrifice Hatate for Idah but you'd be relying on O'Riley playing beside McGregor and I don't think you'd get the best from O'Riley there. I don't think Rodgers fancies Kyogo wide at all so it seems like he'd only go for him as a 10.

I think he's done well and has impacted games as you say. He has 7 goals and 2 assists in 13 games which he should be happy with for the amount of minutes. Kyogo's ratios are far worse at roughly twice the goals and assists in thrice the games - and if I went down to minutes I'm sure it would be a broader gap.

He should have options. Celtic will want him. They'll get impact and probably a mark up on him. If he can get a move to be the main man somewhere with a good manager that wants him and a strong coaching structure then that's where he should go. Celtic, arguably, tick two of those three boxes - the main man one is the uncertainty.

It is probably the last season that Celtic could earn a big fee on Kyogo so that is the big thing worth keeping an eye on. He will be 30 in June. I'm not sure if there's a huge market for him. Ironically, not playing him out wide this season might put suitors off. Hard to see what club or league would see Kyogo earning a £15-£20m move as a number 9.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    The support and confidence in Adam Idah is extravagant. We all want him to succeed but he has proven nothing in the SPFL other than being SPFL standard. This move has done little for his credibility. He had a reasonable start to the Championship season for Norwich and should have knuckled down and fight for a role in a team now in the playoffs. Instead he’s an on/off starter for a club with little credible opposition in a farcical league.

But good luck to him in tonight’s blockbuster against Kilmarnock, if he gets a game.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    He had a reasonable start to the Championship season for Norwich and should have knuckled down and fight for a role in a team now in the playoffs. Instead he’s an on/off starter for a club with little credible opposition in a farcical league.

But good luck to him in tonight’s blockbuster against Kilmarnock, if he gets a game.
    I think it was clear to everyone he needed a change of scenery. Hadn't scored in his last 10 league games at Norwich (he did score a penalty in the cup against a lower league team). Minutes getting less and less, his last 5 games were 11, 10, 29, 16, 27 - fans having long turned their back on him.

Here's Wagner's quote: “I was really backing him when he knocked on my door because I thought this was exactly what he needed to go out of this building and this environment where he knows everybody and everybody knows him and to go for a new challenge.He has a talent, but sometimes you need this boost, which you only get when you leave a club and go into another environment"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think it was clear to everyone he needed a change of scenery. Hadn't scored in his last 10 league games at Norwich (he did score a penalty in the cup against a lower league team). Minutes getting less and less, his last 5 games were 11, 10, 29, 16, 27 - fans having long turned their back on him.

Here's Wagner's quote: “I was really backing him when he knocked on my door because I thought this was exactly what he needed to go out of this building and this environment where he knows everybody and everybody knows him and to go for a new challenge.He has a talent, but sometimes you need this boost, which you only get when you leave a club and go into another environment"
    Manager-speak for surplus to requirements. The real challenge lay at Norwich - to become part of a promotion push. Play against Leicester, Leeds, Ipswich, Southampton et al. Playoffs, another shot at EPL. Prove Wagner wrong. Idah after all is a 20-cap international, albeit Kenny caps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    The support and confidence in Adam Idah is extravagant. We all want him to succeed but he has proven nothing in the SPFL other than being SPFL standard. This move has done little for his credibility. He had a reasonable start to the Championship season for Norwich and should have knuckled down and fight for a role in a team now in the playoffs. Instead he’s an on/off starter for a club with little credible opposition in a farcical league.

Do we? Seems like you just love having a go at him really

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Do we? Seems like you just love having a go at him really
    Football opinion. Seems a nice lad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Football opinion. Seems a nice lad.
    So to form this football opinion I presume you've actually watched the games he's played for Celtic right?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Idah starts

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Hopefully Celtic wrap up the league tonight so that they can get all the preparations for the Scottish Cup Final ( against Rangers ) as good as they can.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Idah starts
    Ha! And he scores

Edit - Kieran O'Hara in nets for Killie. Only his second start of the season

25. Thanks From:

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast