Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: U23 players 2019/20

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Tyreik is still only 18 and has been playing a lot at reserve level. I haven't seen him in a while but if he fills out he could have a good career. I remember him for the under 17s and I was very impressed with his ability to play in different positions across the front, be it as a winger or a second striker off Idah. Anything I've seen of him on YouTube has demonstrated similar, along with a bit of pace, a quick mind and good feet.
    i guess in the handful of times i've seen him play, i've yet to see the best of him. In what I saw, touches of Jake Mulraney

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    New four year deal for Will Smallbone at Southampton - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...pton-1.4275785

Is he ours ? Ours to keep ? Ours to lose ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    New four year deal for Will Smallbone at Southampton - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...pton-1.4275785

Yes
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Article claims that Ali Regba dreams of playing for Algeria: https://www.footalgerien.com/a-20-an...t-de-lalgerie/
    There's no quotes from the player, and it looks like the entire premise is based around Riyad Mahrez being his idol, so I'm not putting too much faith in it.
    Might be his best hope of senior international football to be fair. Don't know that he's even in our top 10 attacking underage prospects based on what I've seen of him and others in the last year.

Ours to cap ASAP I think.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Yassine En-Neyah training with the Nottingham Forest first team ahead of the Championship return next week
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    That's great. His recent interview spoke of difficulties getting his Irish passport which is why he hasn't been involved underage for us hopefully gets sorted

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Conor grant training with sheff wed first team https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exa...k-18414625.amp

Alex hunt was on bench a few times before covid aswell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Any insight on what kind of player Grant is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Any insight on what kind of player Grant is?
    A pensive one
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Ours to cling like f*ck to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    "It's a massive dream of mine to go on and become a full international.
    https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/s...-39287442.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Given how unlikely it is that we would qualify for the World Cup via the Nations League we really do need to use it to tie down any of the up and coming players there's any uncertainty about. Definitely number one on that list for me is Smallbone.

While he's miles from the city team Joe Hodge is another I would like to see confirmed for us. Yes, it's cynical, but we've been burned once too often at this stage.

Kenny is a big fan of Hodge and he'll be 18 by them so it's a possibility.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 17/06/2020 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Given how unlikely it is that we would qualify for the World Cup via the Nations League we really do need to use it to tie down any of the up and coming players there's any uncertainty about. Definitely number one on that list for me is Smallbone.

While he's miles from the city team Joe Hodge is another I would like to see confirmed for us. Yes, it's cynical, but we've been burned once too often at this stage.

Kenny is a big fan of Hodge and he'll be 18 by them so it's a possibility.
    caps should be earned and not used in this way.
    by capping declan rice in this way we would have ended up with a player who's heart wasn't in it and who was pinning for another country..... what use would that have been?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    I know what you're saying. But if we get a reputation for being serious about tying players down we might also end up with fewer Rices and Grealishes messing us around. Not interested in a call up for a competitive senior game? Wave bye-bye to any more caps from us at any level. At least we'd know quickly whose heart was in it. And free up places in underage squads for players who'd have missed out otherwise.

The other reason I'm OK with it is that it gives a profile to players on the fringes of Premiership teams. Even if they never make it at their club, as internationals they're less likely to drop below the Championship, and end up as squandered potential or spend a third of their career dragging themselves back up, rarely to the top level. I suppose I'd rather see us speculate on players with 15 years ahead of them than stake the house on journeymen in the last stages of their prime.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    caps should be earned and not used in this way.
    by capping declan rice in this way we would have ended up with a player who's heart wasn't in it and who was pinning for another country..... what use would that have been?
    i honestly think if Declan (and Jack to a certain extent) had been capped for us earlier, he would have totally happily and commitedly played for us. once someone willingly has made an irreversible decision, they buy into it because it's been made. it took a process of Gareth Southgate putting pressure, along with John Terry, numerous people throughout his club including the owners, his agent and his sponsor (at the time, Nike) - coinciding with England, a country he's lived in his whole life reached the semi final of the world cup for the first time since 66 (i guess) and the mass hysteria that swept the nation. it took all of those factors to turn his head.

if he had played with us, he'd probably have been a 100 cap lad, who captained us to the Euros and World Cups - he'd be revered forever here. Instead, he's gone down a different path. Even if England never do well at a tournament and even if Declan only ends up with 30 or 40 caps, he probably won't regret it either, for the exact same reason...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    On this point, I was checking if Achraf Hakimi was playing for Spain or another country as I saw his name in an article today. At the age of 18 he made his debut for Morocco's under 20, under 23 and senior sides. And he is born and bred in Spain. Hats off to them on the escalation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't think Kenny will be the type of manager to throw out caps for the sake of it. He's very much in the boat of "I only want committed players" and has spoken that he won't be chasing anyone. He'll treat a friendly as if it were a competitive game.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Idah, Smallbone both on the bench tonight. Along with Obafemi starting (Long is out injured).

Would love to see all 3 crack on over the next 9 games and become real first team players...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Idah, Smallbone both on the bench tonight. Along with Obafemi starting (Long is out injured).

Would love to see all 3 crack on over the next 9 games and become real first team players...
    Josh Martin it seems may also be eligible who is on bench tonight https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/...-far-1-6677237

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Obafemi was solid but not spectacular, got an assist on the second half but messed up a two on one as well.

Idah, Smallbone and Josh Martin all got minutes off the bench. Smallbone was probably the liveliest of the three but it was all Southampton so Idah didn't have a chance really. Had one long range shot I think.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    I thought idah had a good chance that he dragged wide few mins after coming on. Obafemi had some lovely hold up play and touches certainly looks ready to play alot more for us at senior level. Will Simon power be eligible for Norwich or has he played for too many teams this season?

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast