Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UCD 1-0 Waterford: College claim first victory of the season...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

UCD 1-0 Waterford: College claim first victory of the season...

Too lazy to give much of an analysis. Pretty even game I thought. Quigley was class tonight. Well taken goal by Martin, could easily have put us ahead earlier. Well the season's goal tall has doubled and we're 3 points ahead of Rovers and Bohs.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Jayz, you don't hang about, do you?!

Robbie Martin's 29th league strike for UCD sealed a just-about deserved first league win of the season over Waterford United on Friday night. In an open game, both sides had plenty of chances, and the two goalkeepers - in particular, Darren Quigley - were largely responsible for there only being one goal in the game.

A couple of well-known faces were in the stands for the game - Mick McCarthy, there to scout Waterford's highly-rated Irish U-21 international Daryl Murphy, and Paul McGrath. Only Mick McCarthy was announced over the PA - McGrath having somehow sneaked in unnoticed! - but both spent much of the match signing autographs.

The best chance of the first half probably fell the way of the visitors. From 25 yards, Murphy hit a swerving low shot which Darren Quigley did well to get down and block; the rebound was seized by Murphy's strike partner, but Quigley was up to save with his feet and reach out a hand to turn the loose ball away for a corner. Some dubious linesmanning denied Waterford on a couple of occasions in the first half, but the compliment was returned in the second.

The slight majority of the chances were at the other end, however. Pat McWalter in particular was giving the Waterford defence a torrid time, and it was he who ran onto Damien Dupuy's well-weighted through ball only to drag his shot inches wide from 15 yards with only the keeper to beat. Twice more UCD got in behind the Waterford defence, but both Anto Murphy and Dupuy elected to shoot when the pull-back might have been the better option.

In the second half, UCD were again just about on top, and were considering the introduction of Colm Kierans to liven up the attack when they took the lead with a superbly-worked goal. Damien Dupuy picked the ball up midway inside the Waterford half and fed McWalter on the overlap; his cross was turned in first-time on the volley by Robbie Martin, leaving Packie Holden in the Waterford goal no chance.

UCD continued to press, but came across the same problem they have all season so far - a team creating too few decent scoring chances. However, it must be noted that the performance was certainly better than the Bray game, which in turn was better than the Drogheda game, so hopefully it is just a case of the team settling back into the Premier.

Waterford made a double sub as they went to chase the game - bringing on first Willie Doyle and then Seán Finn. Doyle threatened on occasions, but his performance was more like the second half of last season than the first, and all too often he lost his footing at the vital moment. When he did get on the ball, he found Alan Mahon and Tony McDonnell in particular in imperious form, with Stephen Hurley and Gary Dicker ready to pick up the pieces and start another attack. Finn, however, nearly scored with one of his trademark volleys from distance - this time returning a clearance inches over the bar from all of 25 yards. Darren Quigley also had to be alert when brilliantly turning away a drive at his near post.

As UCD overcame the pressure though, they became the team who looked more likely to score the next goal. Conor Sammon had a cheeky flicked effort well saved by Holden at his near post, while the same player, probably thinking himself offside, had a nonchalant backheel just wide with no flag appearing to go up.

So a first goal in about 350 minutes of play, a first win of the season and both our first-choice strikers off the mark. Next up is St Pat's as UCD hope to build on the last couple of games and at least put some daylight between them and the other teams down at the bottom (Harps, Bohs and Rovers! )

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, O'Donnell, McNally, McDonnell; Hurley, Anto Murphy, Dicker, McWalter; Martin (Kierans 85), Dupuy (Sammon 85). Subs not used - Gallagher, Lynch, AN Other

Att - 505

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Highly literate "thread" on the Waterford forum about the match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That WITD thread is halarious.

It's great that none of these teams/ fans rate College, make's it nicer to get the draw or win (Damien Richardson can shove it). UCD still playing nice footy & deserved the win in my eyes. Should have finished way more chances though. Should be mentioned that Tony Mac is a rock. Forget that Waterford lad that McCarthy was scouting, if he needs & solid centre half cum anchor man McDonnell is the man.

Seeing legends McCarthy, Evans & God at the game was unreal.

Top 3 finish for College this year if they can learn to finish the chances.
    "I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"
    Townsend on McGrath

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well the attendance was 505 two of whom were some of the best central defenders ever to play for Ireland , namely Paul McGrath and Mick McCarthy.
    Good to see Paul McGrath a) at an el match b) at a match involving Waterford United with whom he was a member of the backroom team in 2004. He seems to be getting his act together again and I wish him well.
    Mick Mc was allegedly scouting Daryl Murphy of WUFC. And the lad must have heard he was in the ground, and got nervous cause he was anonymous.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Highly literate "thread" on the Waterford forum about the match.
    LMAO. They could do with a peek into Damian Richardson's dictionary, to learn a few new adjectives and polite expletives.
    By the way well done lads. WUFC did not see ye coming, and should have taken notice after your results against Shels and Cork City. I rate UCD's chances are good for a mid-table finish, not just on the form you have shown, but on the class of your back 4. I have seldom seen a better organised defence. Your number 3 is pure class, and the guy who was on Kevin Doyle in Turners Cross last week is one of the best man-to-man markers I have seen in some time.
    By the way, the comments that UCD add little to the top flight do not make any sense. If the other teams (my own included) can not adapt to your style of play, tough. Would teams prefer the kick and fracture tactics of Shels, for example? I did not see one cynical tackle or dive by a UCD shirt at Turners Cross. Ye deserve every point ye get, and I for one am looking forward to the next City - UCD clash.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair_play_boy
    Your number 3 is pure class
    Micko Donnell. One of the most underrated players in the league. Not even a full-back!

Quote Originally Posted by Fair_play_boy
    and the guy who was on Kevin Doyle in Turners Cross last week is one of the best man-to-man markers I have seen in some time.
    Who was that? Number 5 or 6 I presume? Alan McNally or Tony McDonnell. Both quality as well. If we could add a bit of pace to the attack, we'd be flying. But I think we're just settling back into the Premier, with the performances getting better all the time, so the only way is up...(hopefully!!!)

Incidentally, one of the things people mention about UCD is the high turnover rate of players. On the pitch last night were Tony McDonnell, Alan Mahon and Mick O'Donnell, while Aidan Lynch and Rob McAuley were on the bench and injured respectively. There's around 50 years of nearly continuous (just Lynch's three years at Drogheda) experience at UCD there. I don't know of any team in the league who could put out eleven players with that much experience at the one club between them, never mind five players! Add in Alan McNally and Robbie Martin, who have another ten years plus between them - think we've got a perfect mix at the moment...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colie
    Forget that Waterford lad that McCarthy was scouting, if he needs & solid centre half cum anchor man McDonnell is the man.
    Don't be giving him ideas!!! McCarthy's no stranger to signing UCD defenders, having given Clive Delaney a trial with a view to signing him before being told that the club was broke and couldn't afford him...

Quote Originally Posted by Colie
    Seeing legends McCarthy, Evans & God at the game was unreal.
    McGrath was in the Montrose Hotel before and after the match as well. He has some presence, it's unreal! Amazing having watched him on the telly - the Italy game in particular - and there he is sitting in the corner of the same room, just a few yards away!

Still, McGrath and McCarthy at their peak would be doing well to get into the current UCD defence! (Possible exaggeration there, but what the hey! )

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Still, McGrath and McCarthy at their peak would be doing well to get into the current UCD defence! (Possible exaggeration there, but what the hey! )
    I think we would have adapted our tactics to suit having those players. Probably playing 5 at the back But if my auntie had balls she would be my uncle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Jayz, you don't hang about, do you?!

Nope, I had a lift waiting for me outside.

Now that I can be a bit more arsed with regards to the game I'll give my two cents. Someone the other day said Tony Mac is not too great in the air, I thought he had a fairly commanding performance with regards to that. He seemed to win headers and direct them very well to our players. While I am not convinced that those 4 at the back is our best option as perhaps Tony Mac and Micko could be done with in the mid I think along with Mahon (who i think had a good defensive shift) they offer us a very good ball playing defence. I think those three offer us great options taking the ball forward from defence instead of hoofing it.

In the midfield I feel in the middle we are missing Tony Mac. Something just lacked a bit there for me, a bit of bite or something. I must say I see great potential in Hurley though. He seems to be pretty competent at passing and winning the ball but I feel Tony Mac would provide a bit more strength and drive and his height an advantage in winning high balls from goal kicks. I thought Anto Murphy had a good game down the right working well running long wide balls and working down that wing with Mahon. On the left I am not entirely convinced by Pat McWalter (I have a strong suspicion this guy was in my Greek and Roman tutorial two years ago). He doesn't seem to beat his man often enough. That's not terrible in itself if you whip the ball in instead but he seems to hit the right back head on. Anyone else feel this?

As for up front I think Damo does look like he good be good at holding up the ball but I must see more of our strikers. I think apart from Damo our strikers look lightweight. Where was Murphy and Brophy yesterday? The two young lads Kierans and Sammon I thought were an odd choice to bring on.

All in all I think it was a pretty solid performance. Though I was disturbed by the fact that for me Quigley was MOTM. I cannot see us getting relegated and I reckon we can than hold our own against anyone this year on our day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    There's Paul Byrne up front as well. Apparently he's way off form at the moment, but should be back in contention soon - probably once he gets a couple of U-21 games and goals under his belt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    There's Paul Byrne up front as well. Apparently he's way off form at the moment, but should be back in contention soon - probably once he gets a couple of U-21 games and goals under his belt.
    I'm a bit disappointed he faded out of the picture. He looked so sharp at the end of last season. But any idea where Murhpy was yesterday?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There was a Under 21's game last Sunday in Belfield v St.Pat's and 6 of them were hospitalized after the game due to the thuggishness of some of the challenges by the visiting team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Congrats lads. I really hope you continue like this and secure your Premiership spot fastly. It was a very nice meet-up in Tolka, you may not have too many fans but they're all great guys.

That Waterford forum topic is funny. Never saw so many F*** words in a single internet page. It almosts sounds like an Eminem song

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gerrit

And a lot of our fans either a) Do not travel to away games even in Dublin and/or b) some of us were out of the country on March 16th and missed that game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Mick Mc was allegedly scouting Daryl Murphy of WUFC. And the lad must have heard he was in the ground, and got nervous cause he was anonymous.
    I was @ the game and the D*ckhead announcer said that McCarthy was there.... Why?? Maybe to make Daryl worried. I thought it was very un-neccesary and just, might just hinder his chance of a big career move to Sunderland or Ipswich. Fair play college fans, ya's really do give it your best... Get all those other silent F-ucks up to help ya's sing.... Advertise it in your programme or something like that. Good win to.... I was hoping for a draw
    Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Lads,

your goal was offside.

Any chance the ref and linesmen are affiliated in some way to your fine institution (mature students)?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Partizan

Not as far as I am aware. The only ref with an affiliation to us in terms of being a former student never does us too many favours anyway .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    Lads,

your goal was offside.
    Hmmm...interesting. Though in fairness, I did comment on the linesman in the report!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzan1
    I was @ the game and the announcer said that McCarthy was there.... Why??
    Yeah, I thought that was strange too. If nothing else, McCarthy probably had far more autographs than necessary to sign, and probably missed more of the match than necessary!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast