Page 150 of 177 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3536

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    youngirish, you should post that assessment from after the Belgium game
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Pretty tired of this nonsensical idea of the LoI Kenny zealot. He's not still in the job because LoI supporters are going to Ireland games and supporting him. Half the posters who have supported him here are never seen on the LoI side of this forum but some of the critics are. Rovers people hate him for the most part and would have been dead set against the appointment. There is no unified LoI opinion on the man. There's very little unified opinion on anything in the LoI outside of the ****e refereeing.

Anybody here would have been delighted if Michael O'Neill took over us instead of N.Ireland and did a similar job for us.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    A couple of observations. 1. This thundery weather in Ireland wreaks havoc with some people's moods, and I was fierce disappointed by last night's result, maybe more so than normal, so I can feel YI's pain.
    2. Ireland players seem to have poorer physical prowess than other teams. Why is this? We have the builds for Rugby and GAA, why is football the poor cousin?
    2b. I always thought Kenny's backroom team was a shambles. They must also shoulder the blame, and if Kenny goes they should go too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Houghton 6/1
    Duff 7/1
    Andrews 9/1
    Lennon 10/1
    Roy Keane 10/1
    Michael O'Neill 15/1
    Allardyce 17/1
    Jim Crawford 23/1
    Phil Neville 26/1
    Jose Mourinho 26/1
    Southgate 26/1
    Given 26/1
    I hear that American coach, Lasso, is free now.

6. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    We have a pub league manager. I'm almost hoping we lose on Monday so we can remove any doubt about sacking him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Kenny hasn't done great, that's obvious, and is likely on the way out now, but I don't get lambasting managers/players in the international team - win or lose, they represent the country, warts and all. There's a degree of harshness that feels like the worst of the English club football mentality transposed onto the international arena. We can't go out and buy top players or a youth structure, and the international team is a reflection of a whole lot more than the manager.. who might be out of his depth somewhat, but definitely doesn't deserve some of the stuff said about him in the past few days, IMO.

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    We are in a funny position right now. We evidently have very talented lads coming through and look like in 2-5 years, we could be very decent. However, our quality aged 25+ is very mediocre. This would impact managers being interested in the role, in a good way and a bad. The medium to long term looks positive so a manager open to two or three campaigns will feel confident of success.

International football is a funny one - outside of the elite countries, very few top managers at the peak of their powers is that interested in it. I mean I could see Ancelloti managing Italy at some point, or Klopp managing Germany, but no chance they would right now.

Kenny clearly isn’t up to it and never will be. The goals we concede show we are badly coached. The players should shoulder a lot of blame too. He makes out he is the light of positive football yet the performance against Greece wasn’t much better than the darkest days of O’Neills reign of horror football.

We seem to be in with a shout of a playoff. Let’s get someone in who might win that, with a view to getting us ready for a tilt at qualifying for a World Cup. At the very least someone who can maximise the talent coming through.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    I'm getting pretty tired of the stupid false binary arguments you see on social media. Arguments by people who either know their argument is bullsh!t, or are too thick to see that it's bullsh!t.

"Oh so you want to go back to the days of Trap hoofing it up the pitch?"

"Oh so you think there's a manager who's going to turn us into world-beaters?"

No, I dont want the first, or think the second.

I want somebody who can do a better job at what Kenny's trying to do.

I think the current options available to Kenny are pretty poor, but I also think he's doing a pretty poor job of getting the most out of those resources. No, we're not world beaters, but neither should we be failing to beat Luxembourg, Azerbaijan and Qatar.

From reading the discussion on this forum, which I would say is, on balance, one of the more patient with/loyal to Kenny, it seems like that patience has finally run out for most, if not almost all.
    Last edited by osarusan; 18/06/2023 at 7:45 PM.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ctical-battle/

Gus Poyet in today's Irish Times exposes Stephen Kenny's tactical naivety. It shouldn't be that easy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    Hes mates with John o shea
    The conspiracy theorist in me. Is starting to wonder now. Is O shea looking for kennys job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Reel it in youngish. There won't be another warning.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/06/2023 at 11:57 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Reel it in youngish. There won't be another warning.
    You asked for the quote and I gave it to you. So what's your problem? Maybe this gives you a feeling of power you don't get elsewhere. Suspend or disable the account if you want, I couldn't care less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    You asked for the quote and I gave it to you. So what's your problem? Maybe this gives you a feeling of power you don't get elsewhere. Suspend or disable the account if you want, I couldn't care less.
    The last line from the post I had to delete was completely unacceptable. This isn't 4chan

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    We have a pub league manager. I'm almost hoping we lose on Monday so we can remove any doubt about sacking him.
    “pub league.” You can f##k right off with that attitude.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I think it's fair to say Kenny has had a fair chance. He has given us very little to be pleased about in results, lots of blooding goung fellas and lots of disappointment.

On balance it hasn't been good enough and despite what others may say about the quality of the players, it is clear that they have no resilience or consistency and management of a team requires these.

It's time to move on. The FAI have sacked people for less(brian kerr, eoin hand). He has had a fair chance.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    It’s so difficult to reconcile Doherty’s comments with what is playing out right in front of our eyes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...eat-to-greece/

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    It’s so difficult to reconcile Doherty’s comments with what is playing out right in front of our eyes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...eat-to-greece/
    Doherty having a good relationship with the national team manager is probably more of a warning sign that anything else given his history....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Maybe (bit harsh on Doherty though, no?)... it does seem to be a fairly consistent theme though from the players in the past where they have regularly spoken about how exceptional the preparation and game planning has been. I'm not defending Kenny (I feel obliged to clarify that given some of the stupid stuff on here the last 48 hours), I just find it really strange... I mean, all this excellent prep and planning... is Kenny simply overestimating the ability of his players to pull off the type of game and tactics he wants to see?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Maybe (bit harsh on Doherty though, no?)... it does seem to be a fairly consistent theme though from the players in the past where they have regularly spoken about how exceptional the preparation and game planning has been. I'm not defending Kenny (I feel obliged to clarify that given some of the stupid stuff on here the last 48 hours), I just find it really strange... I mean, all this excellent prep and planning... is Kenny simply overestimating the ability of his players to pull off the type of game and tactics he wants to see?
    These players being interviewed are being picked by Kenny and playing ask manning or long and they will go too far the other way with criticism
    Players bring interviewed about their current managers in ridiculous imo they are completely compromised one way or the other

Stephen Kenny isn't a good international manager is he?
    4 wins out of 23, with numerous defeats to very poor teams. We have never had one run for our money in any of his groups we are gone after two games everytime.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,266 Posts
    Weren't there similar comments by players in the media around the end of the Stan reign?