Page 108 of 177 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 3536

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Ah lads, we can't leave this fella in charge. I'd say Southgate will be straight onto Hodge with those comments in hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Ah lads, we can't leave this fella in charge. I'd say Southgate will be straight onto Hodge with those comments in hand.
    easy to know you are trolling now. hodge wouldnt make their 21 squad not to mind the seniors.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    https://www.the42.ie/will-smallbone-3-5889743-Oct2022/ really idiotic comments on hodge here from kenny. Always strikes me as wanting to show everyone he is the most knowledgeable in the room so has to bring Ronan into the conversation in a way that comes across as belittling hodge
    Is Kenny casting doubt on Hodge?s long term Irish future there ? Does Kenny know something the rest of us don?t know ?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    It's poorly phrased, assuming the qoute is accurate. I'd imagine what he's getting at is Ronan is older, has been involved in his squads and has much more senior football experience. As such, he'd be much easier to bring directly into the team/squad immediately.

I've no doubt if Hodge keeps getting significant playing time Kenny will bring him straight in, but chances are this was a one off and he'll be bench warming with Ronan until the loan window opens. After which, Ronan is the more likely to get a loan and start playing senior football again and to be a viable squad option. Hodge is much more likely to bench warm and play 21s for Wolves.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    easy to know you are trolling now. hodge wouldnt make their 21 squad not to mind the seniors.
    Am yeah, it would be no use to Southgate to go after him in a few years would it? That's if he fulfills his potential. The same as he's gone after other players for England who qualified for other countries.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is Kenny casting doubt on Hodge?s long term Irish future there ? Does Kenny know something the rest of us don?t know ?
    Well if he is about to switch why would he have bothered been in with the 20s at the end of last season with the ludicrous game against the amateur irish side then come back for that 21s stretch of fixtures in June where he saw no game time and then show back up again in September? He doesn't need the Irish set up for his career he has his 3 year deal at wolves and he is coming back from year out injured be much easier to stay at wolves and use international breaks to make impression in first team training.

Also if he is switching he should tell his dad so he can stop tweeting shamrock and tricolour emoji s and been supportive of Irish football

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    It's poorly phrased, assuming the qoute is accurate. I'd imagine what he's getting at is Ronan is older, has been involved in his squads and has much more senior football experience. As such, he'd be much easier to bring directly into the team/squad immediately.

I've no doubt if Hodge keeps getting significant playing time Kenny will bring him straight in, but chances are this was a one off and he'll be bench warming with Ronan until the loan window opens. After which, Ronan is the more likely to get a loan and start playing senior football again and to be a viable squad option. Hodge is much more likely to bench warm and play 21s for Wolves.
    I I'm surprised he didn't say he wished it was nathan Fraser who was involved as he was hoping for a centre forward to come through

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    https://www.the42.ie/will-smallbone-3-5889743-Oct2022/ really idiotic comments on hodge here from kenny. Always strikes me as wanting to show everyone he is the most knowledgeable in the room so has to bring Ronan into the conversation in a way that comes across as belittling hodge
    I don't think it's that bad but if Ronan is as good as he says why hasn't he been involved more often, his comments don't match his actions

He could have been a bit more inclusive when it comes to Hodge but I think he's saying here the focus is getting the current squad ready for the euro campaign. Again that's fair enough but I'd be worried that he thinks the players he's been picking have been doing as well as he always keeps saying we've done.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts
    Regarding Ronan - he was one of their best players in pre-season and after the season began but before the window closed, they bought Mateus Nunes. It basically pushed Ronan down the pecking order.

It?s tough for him because he may well be good enough to make it at a premier league side - and it was a now or never season. If he goes down a division, it?ll be a while before he gets back, if ever. I can totally see why, when wolves wanted him to stay, he was happy to try stick it out

As for Hodge, previously Kenny spoke about him being a guy they were keeping an eye on and someone who could be fast tracked. Personally, I don?t think he looks quite the same since the injury. He?s a little more wooden in his movements. Cracking prospect, but I feel like he had the potential, before the injury, to be a genuinely world class player (ala Declan Rice, Jack Grealish) and now it?s more like Josh Cullen?s level?

Someone mentioned his dad, met him when Joe was playing for the 17s. Genuinely one of the nicest lads you?ll ever meet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Hodge made a highly impressive debut on Saturday in the PL. I don't think Cullen ever made a PL appearance, so there is some evidence that he might make it to a higher level. I'll concede that it's not a huge amount to go on, but neither would I write him off as being a Cullen-level player (Though Josh is our best midfielder at the minute). Kenny's remarks are indicative of a peculiar conservatism or stubbornness. If he's saying that he will be relying on the existing squad for the next campaign, rather than looking to bring in promising talent that like Hodge, then he is likely condemning us to another failed campaign. Do we persist with Hourihane and Hendrick rather than giving Hodge an opportunity, even if Hodge continues to progress and get minutes? I like Ronan. but again does it make sense to suggest he's ahead of Hodge simply because he is older and has played more senior football at a lower level? Wales have shown the way in blooding and integrating young players who may not have a great deal of experience but are perceived to have the talent and potential to become international quality players. Kenny's approach has been much more haphazard, bringing in some young players (especially in forward positions where he had little option) but being too slow to promote to the young players who are actually showing the most promise and quality (Collins and Obafemi). If there is any consistent principle guiding his selection, it seems to be making decisions about players and then stubbornly sticking to them.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    In May 2019, then Ireland Under-21 manager Stephen Kenny praised Hodge's capabilities after watching him impress during Ireland's 1-1 draw with Belgium at the Under-17 Euros.

Kenny spoke to the RTE panel about Hodge?s natural talent, saying, "He's a classic, natural midfield player."

"He understands the game for one so young, he has a great appreciation for space. He takes great angles to receive the ball, and has great feet, good vision and a range of passing. He's got a lot."
    https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/hod...e-year-1054745

Sitting in the stand watching Ireland's U-19s eke a draw from their Euro U-19 finals opener last night, Stephen Kenny could be seeing paying special attention to Joe Hodge. The youngest player in the Ireland squad displayed coolness beyond his 16 years by burying an equaliser nine minutes from full-time against Norway.

Kenny last week contended that the FAI lost out on Jack Grealish and Declan Rice for not fast-tracking them into the senior ranks early enough.

Manchester-born Hodge is likely to be the next dual-eligible player England will intensify their pursuit of and Kenny, due to replace Mick McCarthy next year, may decide to apply his philosophy early into his reign.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38316496.html
    Kenny is clearly a fan, and has been for some time.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Lads havent been on here in a while and I havent gone back through the thread. The draw has brought a question to my mind of what would be enough in the Euro group to keep people satisfied enough for Kenny to continue into following world cup campaign.

Im not sure I know what would satisfy me to be honest, that group we got is completely deflating.

1. 2 draws and 2 defeats against France and Holland, but we take 4 pts from Greece.

2. 1 win against France or Holland, 3 pts from Greece

3. 0 points against France and Holland but 6 pts from Greece.

Would any of those 3 scenarios satisfy us here?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Any 3 of those will satisfy at least 56% of the people on here
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Lads havent been on here in a while and I havent gone back through the thread. The draw has brought a question to my mind of what would be enough in the Euro group to keep people satisfied enough for Kenny to continue into following world cup campaign.

Im not sure I know what would satisfy me to be honest, that group we got is completely deflating.

1. 2 draws and 2 defeats against France and Holland, but we take 4 pts from Greece.

2. 1 win against France or Holland, 3 pts from Greece

3. 0 points against France and Holland but 6 pts from Greece.

Would any of those 3 scenarios satisfy us here?

None of those - if we are to show genuine progression at this point, six points from Greece (and Gibraltar!) and four from twelve against Holland and France. That should take us back within sight of where we were under our previous three managers (okay it would be slightly better than Mick's campaign).

Two quick notes - on the Hodge issue, would it have been so hard for Kenny to say "yes he's a talented lad, it's great to see him get a run-out, we will monitor him closely over the next few weeks and make a decision about inclusion in the squad for the friendlies" because that's exactly what he should be doing

Secondly, if we look at our last seven permanent managers, we had four who had managerial experience at English second level and above - all four got us to a major championship and got us to a play-off when it was available on all occasions bar one. The other three managers have yet to achieve either of these once (OK, our Nations League performance might squeeze us into the playoffs this time).

17. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    None of those - if we are to show genuine progression at this point, six points from Greece (and Gibraltar!) and four from twelve against Holland and France. That should take us back within sight of where we were under our previous three managers (okay it would be slightly better than Mick's campaign).
    When was the last time we beat a mid-ranking team like Greece home and away? Or beat a side of the calibre of France or Holland in qualifying?

You've the Germany win in 2015 as our only big win since Holland in 2001, and for home/away wins against a mid-ranking side I think you're looking at Northern Ireland in Italia 90 qualifying (who'd reached the previous World Cup)

But you reckon both could happen here? Come on.

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    When was the last time we beat a mid-ranking team like Greece home and away? Or beat a side of the calibre of France or Holland in qualifying?

You've the Germany win in 2015 as our only big win since Holland in 2001, and for home/away wins against a mid-ranking side I think you're looking at Northern Ireland in Italia 90 qualifying (who'd reached the previous World Cup)

But you reckon both could happen here? Come on.
    Austria & Wales in 2018 qualifying.

Both of which were far more impressive than potentially beating Greece away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    We didn't beat either home and away though (decent and all as those wins undoubtedly were)

And in fact we didn't beat the North home and away in Italia 90 qualifying either
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 14/10/2022 at 7:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    4pts v Greece
    4pts v Fra / Ned combined
    6pts v Gib

Anything better than that would be unreal! Need to qualify for Kenny to keep his job imo - he's had a chance to refresh the squad which was badly needed - but its a results business now.

If we, for example were edged out on goal difference by one of the big two and unluckily missed a playoff then - maybe he could claim that he deserves the 2026 WC but I doubt he'd get it.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    4pts v Greece
    4pts v Fra / Ned combined
    6pts v Gib
    I think this would be a very good return with 14 points. I think anything less than 11 points (6 from Gibraltar, 3 from Greece and 2 combined from the big two maybe?) would be fairly described as lousy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Need to qualify for Kenny to keep his job imo
    We need to finish ahead of France or Holland for him to keep his job?

No we don't. I think we need to finish ahead of Greece for him to keep his job, but if we got the points you've outlined (which I don't think we're capable of; Holland are a fair bit better than Serbia and reigning World Champions France are still ranked ahead of Portugal in the Elo despite a lousy Nations League, and you're never entirely sure how seriously teams treat the competition) then we likely wouldn't qualify but it would certainly justify a contract extension.

All pending a deeper analysis than just results of course - performance levels, opposition teams leaving key players out because they're focused on a different match, etc.