Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    It'll be interesting to see who comes in now, and if the new coach gets all the credit/blame for future performances.
    Belgium are one of the favourites for the world cup, if they're poaching him he's clearly well regarded. They're in a world cup year so like Ireland they must think he can make a fairly instant impact.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I would say Kenny would feel this one much more than any other. Be interesting to hear what he says.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    He's not Irish. It's just a job to him. He seems to have done well with us. Now he's off to another opportunity. There's no reason to hold that against him. Good luck to him with Belgium. They've had some cracking players for a while now and won nothing; they'd be a really popular winner with neutrals.
    100%.
    On Belgium, my Flemish teammates despise Martinez, and think he's a chancer. Then again they think I'm a competent stopper, so it's not entirely clear if their judgement stands up to scrutiny.

I wonder will we appoint someone else who has completed the PRO licence course with the FAI?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I would say Kenny would feel this one much more than any other. Be interesting to hear what he says.
    allegedly he said....

"I'd like to thank Anthony for the positive contribution he has made over the past year with the players and staff alike. Anthony had a great rapport with the staff and players, he was thought-provoking, an exceptional coach and a joy to work with. We respect his decision and he leaves with our best wishes."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Belgium are one of the favourites for the world cup, if they're poaching him he's clearly well regarded. They're in a world cup year so like Ireland they must think he can make a fairly instant impact.
    Wonder if the contract situation with the FAI made it easier for him to leave. Would Belgium have come in for him if he had more than a few months left on his contract.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Are you trying to suggest the Fai missed a trick here?

Anyone listen to dunphys podcast with mark tighe? And murmurings about hill?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Wonder if the contract situation with the FAI made it easier for him to leave. Would Belgium have come in for him if he had more than a few months left on his contract.
    Money is no object to RBFF. If they wanted him, they were getting him.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Ah lads, this is an absolute disaster. He has made a huge difference since he came on board. It'll be hard to find a replacement of his calibre. Hopefully Kenny has picked up some tips on how to set up a team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Are you trying to suggest the Fai missed a trick here?

Anyone listen to dunphys podcast with mark tighe? And murmurings about hill?
    If the FAI are keeping the current set up there and had already had the lads tied down for the next two years Belgium might not have approached him to replace Shaun Maloney who left to take over Hibs. And if they did would have had to pay compensation to get him out of contract at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Would Paul Cook be worth a shout?

Has managed in the LoI, completed his pro licence here, got promoted (winning the league each time) with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan, had Anthony Barry as assistant / first team coach for 3 years and he should be available since Ipswich let him go last December.

14. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    If the FAI are keeping the current set up there and had already had the lads tied down for the next two years Belgium might not have approached him to replace Shaun Maloney who left to take over Hibs. And if they did would have had to pay compensation to get him out of contract at least.
    I think in fairness we would always have been struggling to keep a highly-regarded coach who was approached by not just a better (and presumably better-funded) national team, but also one that's closer to London.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Munster Saint View Post
    Would Paul Cook be worth a shout?

Has managed in the LoI, completed his pro licence here, got promoted (winning the league each time) with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan, had Anthony Barry as assistant / first team coach for 3 years and he should be available since Ipswich let him go last December.
    Don't think someone that's been a manager for the last 15 years is gonna take the job as a coach. Looking at coaches in England and someone that stands out is Paul Clement. Recently joined Everton as assistant to Lampard when Barry turned him down and worked with our U21s before when Don Givens was coach.

Hasn't worked out for him as a manager, but has been assistant to Ancelotti at Chelsea, PSG, Madrid, and Bayern so comes with a wealth of experience as an assistant.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think in fairness we would always have been struggling to keep a highly-regarded coach who was approached by not just a better (and presumably better-funded) national team, but also one that's closer to London.
    But if the FAI had tied the management team down sooner we don't know if Belgium would have looked at someone they needed to pay compensation for, and if they did come calling we'd have at least gotten a few quid that could have helped towards a replacement.

Can always give Robbie a call and see if he fancies a bit of work seeing as he still has 9 months left on his four year contract.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    What about Steven Reid? Has international experience with Scotland, I think he has a UEFA Pro License, and would be able to scout players in England as part of his job at Forest
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    But if the FAI had tied the management team down sooner we don't know if Belgium would have looked at someone they needed to pay compensation for, and if they did come calling we'd have at least gotten a few quid that could have helped towards a replacement.

Can always give Robbie a call and see if he fancies a bit of work seeing as he still has 9 months left on his four year contract.
    We could have made a few quid, sure.

I don't see it would have put off the Belgians or Barry though.

How much did Belgium make from reaching the last four major quarter finals for example? A bit of compensation would hardly put them off

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Barry was getting a lot of credit for the improved performance s so this will help Kenny show everyone that those improvements were not down to Barry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Barry was getting a lot of credit for the improved performance s so this will help Kenny show everyone that those improvements were not down to Barry
    Not that much. The players could retain lessons learned from him. The staff could retain lessons learned from him. Both of those possibilities, which are not mutually excusive, would be consistent with the team continuing to play well, as would the younger players having had time to improve.

Frankly, unless we go winless for the next dozen matches, we will never know for sure what was Barry's impact and what was other factors, and the experience from the last time that happens even then there'd be people who insist even then that being annoyed that we couldn't buy a goal and had sunk in the rankings to something on a par with the Vatican city over 65s team displays some sort of anti-Kenny bias and a determination to return to hoofball.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think Kenny's next step here is critical. It needs to be someone with the same vision, profile and experience as Barry (even if, as one of my friends pointed out, Barry was not all that heralded at the time). It absolutely cannot be "one of the lads" or some junior no-mark without some sort of track record. I think Kenny is smart enough to not make that sort of mistake.

Really nice to see that Barry also leaves on good terms and in particular with positive things to say about his experience and about Kenny:

I’ve been fortunate to work with some outstanding managers in my career and Stephen certainly falls into that bracket. The opportunity to move on to Belgium and to have the chance to take part in the World Cup Finals was one I felt I couldn’t turn down. Of course, I wish all of the team the very best of luck for the future.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    The more I think of this, the more sickened I become. I had said that keeping Barry on board should be essential in any discussion of extending Kenny's contract. If there was any inkling of Barry moving on, he should have been offered the top job and Kenny ousted. We're going to seriously regret losing someone of Barry's caliber.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    The more I think of this, the more sickened I become. I had said that keeping Barry on board should be essential in any discussion of extending Kenny's contract. If there was any inkling of Barry moving on, he should have been offered the top job and Kenny ousted. We're going to seriously regret losing someone of Barry's caliber.
    Inclined to agree. The turn around in formation, style and performance was extraordinary. It may just be a coincidence. Time will tell.