Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I thought when Carsleys contract was up at England it coincided with some of his mates in the media pushing his name forward for the job, Dunne and Kilbane especially. I had hoped this meant that some back door discussions had been had between the FAI and Carsley and there was a gentlemans agreement in place. More fool me for thinking the FAI could act like a normal semi well run business.

Instead now we have a lame duck manager, when the 4 coming games could have been preparation for a new guy. We'll end up in a long review process that the FAI always love, they might even try to get Mazars back in for the craic, and at the end of the process we'll end up with Sam Allardyce or Neil Lennon.

Today is utterly depressing
    There could be two football reasons why they are keeping Kenny for the moment.

1. They want Carsley and can't afford any compo - so they are waiting for his current contract to run out - which may be in the new year (he was offered a new contract in July - there was a break clause in the contract then - which is when the FAI should have acted if they really want him). On top of that, apparently Carsley has expressed an interest in a club job - so he may not want to stay in the international set-up - and he is also being touted as Southgate's replacement in 18 months.
    2. They know they can't get Carsley and are eyeing someone else who may be out of contract in the new year - e.g. Chris Hughton's contract with Ghana is up after AFCON in January.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Today is indeed strange particularly the wording that there will be a review after the friendly, after the campaign. Kenny himself looked like he thought he was going in the Dutch post match, looked absolutely beaten by this, so why did the FAI wrestle him on the break clauses in this present contract only to not avail of them ? Would the play off chance still having a vague pulse protect him in the contract ?

I don't accept they haven't been working on this to be honest, they must have been. So it's either someone is lined up from November, or the unmentioned nuclear option that they don't consider Kenny's results to be far below the ceiling of what can be reasonably expected of this squad with particular reference to midfield options available.

Would people sounded out have balked at the qualification requirement and passed on it leaving them stuck with what they have and having to think again ?

All very strange as I say, but this should be over this week & yet it isn't.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Yes I’m looking at it like they’re letting SK contract run out and have Carsley ready to go.
    Maybe that’s wishful thinking but it would make sense financially

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    There could be two football reasons why they are keeping Kenny for the moment.

1. They want Carsley and can't afford any compo - so they are waiting for his current contract to run out - which may be in the new year (he was offered a new contract in July - there was a break clause in the contract then - which is when the FAI should have acted if they really want him). On top of that, apparently Carsley has expressed an interest in a club job - so he may not want to stay in the international set-up - and he is also being touted as Southgate's replacement in 18 months.
    2. They know they can't get Carsley and are eyeing someone else who may be out of contract in the new year - e.g. Chris Hughton's contract with Ghana is up after AFCON in January.
    Most places I've seen say Hughtons contract is until December 31st 2024.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Those of us who've been there for 20k attendances know what it looks like :-)
    When did we ever do less than 20,000 since the rebuild? As one of the 27,000 who showed up to see us play Oman the second time, I just assumed that was as low as it's gone since the days of Eoin Hand.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Yes I’m looking at it like they’re letting SK contract run out and have Carsley ready to go.
    Maybe that’s wishful thinking but it would make sense financially
    I know he won the U21 Euros but I'd be unsure of Carsley at this level tbh. I also do not see an up & coming coach going to bother with us anyway. They would be gone at the 1st offer of an English club job. John Eustace & Anthony Barry were here 5 minutes, Carsley would be the same IMO.

Steve Bruce is now the bookies favourite and I think that is far more realistic tbh. He is the right age for the job, has a good managerial CV, a respected playing career, Irish connection, knows what we are about, no compensation to be paid to get him & might grab a few granny rulers to boost our squad.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 15/09/2023 at 12:36 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Can understand why the FAI are giving Kenny four more games to turn it around if Steve Bruce is the available alternative.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Steve Bruce = = Ah, God Help Us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Thought I'd clicked on a thread from 2007 there.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    What about Roddy Collins?

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I wonder would Hassenhüttl be in our budget? Might be a long shot but I think he could be someone who could get more out of the squad than the sum of its parts

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    We need to think outside the box. Ryan Tubridy has the gravitas, the passion, and most of all the connections to make it a spectacular experience for the entire nation. He can do it on a wet December night in Dublin too, according to all the reports. And Netflix are probably only dying to snap him up to make a docuseries. A win-win for all parties and results be dammed. What a time to be alive.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Not a bad shout. Turn it into a TV show for a few years until we have the players for a football team.

Sponsorship sorted via Louis Copeland. Louis would make a better jersey than Castore as well.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Well, if someone like Stephen Kenny could land the job of managing the Irish senior side then Roddy Collins may feel he has a great chance.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I know he won the U21 Euros but I'd be unsure of Carsley at this level tbh.
    Carsley was on the coaching staff at Brentford, including a brief spell as Caretaker Manager which they really wanted to make permanent, but he declined for (genuine) family reasons. And Brentford's record in appointing managers, whether externally or from within, is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    I also do not see an up & coming coach going to bother with us anyway. They would be gone at the 1st offer of an English club job. John Eustace & Anthony Barry were here 5 minutes, Carsley would be the same IMO.
    Except he's not your average "up & coming coach" etc. He'll be 50 next February, yet has never been the "Main Man" anywhere he's been - and certainly not for want of opportunity. It may just be that he likes working with players without the day-in, day-out scrutiny club managers endure - see eg Klopp losing the rag at being asked about Salah leaving for the 50th time this week.
    In that respect, living in England and managing ROI for 10 or 12 games a year might just appeal. Otoh, he might just have designs on the England job after Southgate, now that the latter has repaired the previously poisonous relationship with the English media?
    Obviously that gets huge scrutiny at times, but he's English as well as Irish after all, and he may consider that job to be the pinnacle of his coaching career?
    I certainly get the impression from over here that the FA may be considering that, so who knows what has been whispered in Carsley's ear?

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Have you read the rodfather... its gold

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Have you read the rodfather... its gold
    Ive heard its the one book that actually has less truth and facts than the bible!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    If the only suggestions are (a) elderly, unemployed Premiership managers (b) retired internationals, or (c) Roddie ****ing Collins, the search committee needs sacking far more urgently than Kenny. We don't have the money to fish in the Premiership pool any more. Barely ever did, really. Carsley or Hughton are obvious candidates if they're interested and available, but there must be talented young managers on an upward trajectory, or capable mid-career lads who can't or won't take the grind of a club job. If we can't identify such people, we're going to continue to underperform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    In that respect, living in England and managing ROI for 10 or 12 games a year might just appeal. Otoh, he might just have designs on the England job after Southgate, now that the latter has repaired the previously poisonous relationship with the English media?
    Obviously that gets huge scrutiny at times, but he's English as well as Irish after all, and he may consider that job to be the pinnacle of his coaching career?
    I certainly get the impression from over here that the FA may be considering that, so who knows what has been whispered in Carsley's ear?
    To support your thoughts, the current FAI CEO was previously employed by the English FA, continues to reside in the UK, and surely would favour a job closer to his home in future days. That person may not willing disrupt the English FA's succession plans as this may jeopardise his own personal ambitions.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Is there a Kenny Stephen about ? !