Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 3536

Thread: Stephen Kenny

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Was on £10,000,000 a year at Leicester too. That might be an issue!
    Yeah, Leicester crapped themselves when Spurs were snigging around one time and Brendan saw his angle and fair play he absolutely rinsed them
    I'd say Spurs can have him now. I live around the area and would be following a bit, I wouldn't want him near our team, he gave an interview recently with a straight face, that keeping the club up would be his biggest achievement while the aforementioned budget was unmentioned.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure if you asked him what "his country" is he'd tell you it's Northern Ireland.
    It absolutely is

“My upbringing is important to me. I'm very much from Northern Ireland — a Northern Ireland man who loved his life when I was young and was brought up in a real secure community.”

- https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s.../28737541.html

I believe he also said once the Northern Irish boys should play for Northern Ireland

So, again interesting from Boomers, and again factually incorrect. Bit of Celtic / PL goggles on perhaps with little actual discernment or evaluation there.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    It absolutely is

“My upbringing is important to me. I'm very much from Northern Ireland — a Northern Ireland man who loved his life when I was young and was brought up in a real secure community.”

I believe he also said once the Northern Irish boys should play for Northern Ireland

So, again interesting from Boomers, and again factually incorrect. Bit of Celtic / PL goggles on perhaps with little actual discernment or evaluation there.
    The expectation that we could snag a manager that was on 10 million a year is the type of unrealistic nonsense that ya see all over Facebook pages from fans who haven't a clue about football except for what Sky tell them about the Premiership.

Maybe we should go after Graham Potter, he's about to get sacked at Chelsea. Liverpool not having great season, why not see if they'll take a payoff for Klopp?

By the way, I've haven't seen a single suggestion of what a different manager would or could have done better against France
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 02/04/2023 at 4:39 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    It absolutely is

Surprised he said that, given that his son has underage caps for the Republic
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/04/2023 at 6:14 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It absolutely is

CTP, could you tease this one out a little bit for us?
    Would he be a possibility even allowing for current wages vs what would be on offering?
    Likes his teams to play ball.
    Tactically whats the deal at Leicester?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Rodgers is Irish, he was on 2.3 million pounds a year at Celtic, so maybe not as big a reach as first thought. And if anyone is suggesting that Rodgers is not a huge step up from what we currently have, they're living in Cuckoo land.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    CTP, could you tease this one out a little bit for us?
    Would he be a possibility even allowing for current wages vs what would be on offering?
    Likes his teams to play ball.
    Tactically whats the deal at Leicester?
    I can't see how he would be, Leicester are Thai owned, serious money people and his pay off - 10 million has been mentioned in the media - was sufficient to make them put up with any amount of decline short of relegation & they may have left it a bit late on that too, they are in serious trouble after yesterday.

Tactically, they lose from leading, they go to bits after he makes changes, he makes changes too late, he makes the wrong changes ( to a point that you sometimes wonder if he's watching the same game at all ) He has available to him Tielemans and Maddison, two very sought after players but he cant knock a tune out of the midfield. He has fallen out with the Turkish CB Soyunchu who was in several teams of the season. He has proven goal scorers who he cannot set up to get service to despite the aforementioned midfielders. There isn't one signing of his who has added to what he inherited four years ago, everyone has a few flops but his are all flops. The club relented in January to let him make some signings, and he brought in Tete - the missing piece he had been lacking according to him & everything would now be ok - who has absolutely stunk the place out since, he's desperate. This spoofer inherited a very good Leicester side, best in their history, remember and was given budget.

Call him up Trap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Rodgers is Irish, he was on 2.3 million pounds a year at Celtic, so maybe not as big a reach as first thought. And if anyone is suggesting that Rodgers is not a huge step up from what we currently have, they're living in Cuckoo land.
    Pep would be a huge step up too, but he's not getable either. 2.3 million pounds might as well be 200 million pounds for the FAI right now, completely impossible.

And again, what could a different manager have done differently against France?
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 02/04/2023 at 5:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    I don't think anyone has doubted that Rodgers is a better manager than Kenny, the issue is that his wages are outside the FAI's budget. Don't forget Celtic are backed by serious money too

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I'm not sure why that's being used as an argument when a more valid question would be "What could a different manager have done against Malta/Luxembourg/Lithuania/Azerbaijan?" And the answer to that has to be "Quite a lot"

Agree Rodgers is almost certainly way outside the FAI's budget though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'm not sure why that's being used as an argument when a more valid question would be "What could a different manager have done against Malta/Luxembourg/Lithuania/Azerbaijan?" And the answer to that has to be "Quite a lot"

Agree Rodgers is almost certainly way outside the FAI's budget though.
    I'm going off the most recent games where we've has a full squad available and I believe progress was made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    Fair enough. I think it's very short-sighted to consider that Kenny is now equal to someone like Rodgers (warts and all) because of one match against a sluggish France. The Malta game wasn't that long ago and I don't think we were missing then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Fair enough. I think it's very short-sighted to consider that Kenny is now equal to someone like Rodgers (warts and all) because of one match against a sluggish France. The Malta game wasn't that long ago and I don't think we were missing then
    Italy only beat Malta 2 nil in a qualifier last week. My beef about the Malta game was that he didn't play Smallbone, not the result. It's a friendly and we won, but he did play Ferguson so he was ahead of the curve there.

Do I think Rogers would be a step up, probably yeah, but I also think it's impossible to get him and even if we managed it he'd jump ship at the first smell of a Premiership club.

All I'm asking for is for people to stay in reality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    My beef with the Malta game is the entire turgid performance tbh. We weren't winning that unless they gifted us something on a plate (which they did). That's not good enough, especially when it's a regular problem. Italy were 2-0 up and cruising after half an hour. Italy of all teams will quite happily sit on that.

I agree we're highly unlikely to be of interest to Rodgers, but your question was "What could a different manager have done differently against France?", and I don't think that's the right question to be asking

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    no chance rodgers would go near us unless we had a huge pay packet which is not likely to happen.

that being said, if we lose to Greece and find ourselves out of the running after 2 games yet again under Kenny's stewardship then it's time to give someone else a go in my opinion. i know there are plenty here that disagree.

you'd like to think the FAI have a shortlist of candidates drawn up that meets their budget, but who knows.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    My beef with the Malta game is the entire turgid performance tbh. We weren't winning that unless they gifted us something on a plate (which they did). That's not good enough, especially when it's a regular problem. Italy were 2-0 up and cruising after half an hour. Italy of all teams will quite happily sit on that.

I agree we're highly unlikely to be of interest to Rodgers, but your question was "What could a different manager have done differently against France?", and I don't think that's the right question to be asking
    It was a friendly, we've had plenty of friendlies over the years under multiple managers when players wouldn't even turn up

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Pep would be a huge step up too, but he's not getable either. 2.3 million pounds might as well be 200 million pounds for the FAI right now, completely impossible.

2.3 million is better than 10 million. We've already quartered it here. Maybe we can introduce a bit of national pride to drag his fee down further. He's already amounted a large amount of money, the less time consuming international job might suit him. Although difficult, this definitely isn't impossible like you're making it out.

I don't know what the French game would have to do with appointing a better manager? People were wondering what options were available should Kenny get sacked, here's a really good option.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    no chance rodgers would go near us unless we had a huge pay packet which is not likely to happen.

that being said, if we lose to Greece and find ourselves out of the running after 2 games yet again under Kenny's stewardship then it's time to give someone else a go in my opinion. i know there are plenty here that disagree.

you'd like to think the FAI have a shortlist of candidates drawn up that meets their budget, but who knows.
    You'd have to hope so and it sounds like they have a few in mind. No harm having a chat with Rodgers anyway. Can rule him out if he's looking for mad money, I'd be pushing the budget as far as it can stretch to get him on board though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    2.3 million is better than 10 million. We've already quartered it here. Maybe we can introduce a bit of national pride to drag his fee down further. He's already amounted a large amount of money, the less time consuming international job might suit him. Although difficult, this definitely isn't impossible like you're making it out.

I don't know what the French game would have to do with appointing a better manager? People were wondering what options were available should Kenny get sacked, here's a really good option.
    Why wouldn't the French game have something to do with getting a different manager, It's the most recent qualifier we have against a top side. You don't want to give an answer because we did very well and were set up absolutely correct for the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    Why wouldn't the French game have something to do with getting a different manager, It's the most recent qualifier we have against a top side.
    It certainly helps his case, but to judge him entirely on that one game (which you seem to be doing) doesn't make sense.

It was a friendly, we've had plenty of friendlies over the years under multiple managers when players wouldn't even turn up
    Why did you compare it to a qualifier so?

We've had too many games against smaller countries where we've performed quite badly (you can add Armenia to my list) and very very few where we've performed well. In that regard, it was an extension of a bad run that needs to change.