Page 106 of 177 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Looks like a tough draw but when you look back, the top 2 are no better than who we got in the last euro draw. France and the Netherlands got knocked out in the round of 16 games at Euro 2020 while Switzerland got knocked out on penalties by Spain in the quarter finals after knocking out France. Denmark made it to the semi finals. We came close to qualifying with them two. Greece is a tough 4th seed but they could take points off the top 2.
    are you serious

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    are you serious
    What part of my post is untrue?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    bore off will ya. its not some conspiracy at all. it is a FACT that the draw has nailed us against two of europes strongest teams. kenny wont be kept on if he doesnt get us to the euros. people acknowledging the fact we've been harshly done in the draw doesnt mean they want him kept on past 2024
    I wouldn't be convinced he needs to get us to the euros now to keep his job. I think that draw today gives him a very good chance of been kept on evening we don't qualify

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Kenny's results got us into this mess, so he needs to own it now and cut the excuses. He was given a great chance to get us to Euro 2020 via a handy playoff draw and blew it, two really decent Nations League draws and made a mess of those too and all that combined landed us where we find ourselves now.

I'd lean the other way actually. Is there any point even keeping him on for the Euros now, as we clearly don't have a chance of qualifying from the group? Surely it would be worthwhile to get someone better in now who would get a free pass for this campaign and hopefully we can actually start to take advantage of the talent we have coming through for next time around, rather than seeing it all being wasted campaign after campaign by Kenny?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Kenny's results got us into this mess, so he needs to own it now and cut the excuses. He was given a great chance to get us to Euro 2020 via a handy playoff draw and blew it, two really decent Nations League draws and made a mess of those too and all that combined landed us where we find ourselves now.

I'd lean the other way actually. Is there any point even keeping him on for the Euros now, as we clearly don't have a chance of qualifying from the group? Surely it would be worthwhile to get someone better in now who would get a free pass for this campaign and hopefully we can actually start to take advantage of the talent we have coming through for next time around, rather than seeing it all being wasted campaign after campaign by Kenny?
    laughable nonsense. how did he blow the euro playoff? was he at fault for the two sitters missed by our players? as a matter of interest when was the last time ireland were 2nd seeds in a draw?

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    laughable nonsense. how did he blow the euro playoff? was he at fault for the two sitters missed by our players? as a matter of interest when was the last time ireland were 2nd seeds in a draw?
    Euro 2016 and we finished third in the group needing a play off because of the extended Euros to qualify.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I wouldn't be convinced he needs to get us to the euros now to keep his job. I think that draw today gives him a very good chance of been kept on evening we don't qualify
    Can only see that happening if we beat Greece home and away with performances against France and Holland.

There's about as much chance of him staying on post Euro 2024 without qualifying as the FAI doing what Scotland did and replacing him before the qualifiers are even over with any new potential manager getting a few games before any potential Euro 2024 play off.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    I'd say it's about 80/20, go/stay, with that draw. There's less expectation with two very hard top seeds, but if the fixtures are not great and it starts with a heavy loss away to one of the top two and a home draw with Greece I think that might be it, don't think he even sees out the group. Middling early results but struggling to finish ahead.of Greecw will probably get him to the end of the group but that will be that. 80% chance one of above is the case in my book.

Alternatively, could still finish third but put in good displays against the big two, pick up a couple of credible results, see off Greece and Gibraltar with no fuss and then he's still in a reasonable position to stay on. And obviously direct qualification will mean he's going nowhere (other than maybe being poached by a high level club somewhere!).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Well, for starters, he made the same mistake he made last week against Armenia in that he somehow thought it was a good idea to have Conor Hourihane on the park. But ultimately these things come down to wider issues, we weren't set up correctly that night against a poor Slovakia team missing players, the formation, style of play, everything was wrong. And we missed a great chance to qualify for the Euros as a result.

Back to the present day and I could see a few bad results bringing an early end for him in this campaign. He could well be gone by the summer, as we're unlikely to have any real say in this group by then. And on that basis what is the point in him still being there at that stage?

The negative side of it is that, with this draw, no result will be bad enough to justify his sacking for some of the pro Kenny crowd. But, for any objective viewer, I think enough will be enough before too long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Time for Kenny to go. His terrible nations league campaigns have gotten us to this point. Let a proper manager have the Euro campaign to bed in and get his ideas across. Kenny can head off to Bohs or something.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    It would be a good time to get rid of Kenny. Give a new, competent manager time to set in their ideas in the friendlies and then give it a good go in March. These players coming through are our best batch in a long time. The introduction to their Ireland careers hasn't been good. They've joined a set up with an awful record. Suffering more defeats and humiliation may set in a losers mentality that could last long term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    How can anyone not want the best for this man?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

Everyone wants the best for him! But also everyone wants the best for our players. Clearly he isn't capable of managing at this level and he's doing serious damage. What's best for everyone is that Kenny takes up a roll with the underage teams or in a development roll and our current players get a new manager and set up that can get the best out of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I might have bought that if the knives hadn?t been drawn so early.

16. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    I might have bought that if the knives hadn?t been drawn so early.
    Sometimes it's obvious when someone is out of their depth. For example, Steve Staunton. A legend as a player. Who didn't want him to do well? But he only had 17 games in charge. Why was that? The results were horrendous. He had to go. Obviously this was nothing personal against Steve, he just wasn't capable. It's the same with the current Steve. It's not personal, he just has to go.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'd suggest that SK is secretly delighted by this draw. No expectations now so he can focus on trying to finish third in the group. That in itself won't be easy but I'm quite certain he would consider that success.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I'd suggest that SK is secretly delighted by this draw. No expectations now so he can focus on trying to finish third in the group. That in itself won't be easy but I'm quite certain he would consider that success.
    I think you're right. The excuses are ready made for this group. It started out with covid being used as an excuse, then after losing to Luxembourg it was all about building for 2024, when we came nowhere in the recent nations league it was because the players aren't any good. It just goes on.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts

A bit presumptuous saying he's looking forward to France, Netherlands and Greece home and away, no? Little to suggest at this point that he'll be sticking around for all of those games.

The Greece draw has kind of blown that for him. France, Netherlands and a rubbish fourth seed would have given merit to that argument, but I've seen little to suggest he will even manage to get us ahead of Greece in this group. Though I suppose he can always pull out the "we knew it didn't matter, it's all about the playoffs/World Cup/Euro 2032" card at that point...

By the way, had to laugh at the FAI guy spouting on about the upward curve of the team or whatever he said - he must have been asleep during the Armenia game last week!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    i wouldn't be too surprised if we don't take 6 points off Gibraltar, if Kenny remains in charge. surely even the most ardent kennyite would give up the ghost at that point.

no?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    i wouldn't be too surprised if we don't take 6 points off Gibraltar, if Kenny remains in charge. surely even the most ardent kennyite would give up the ghost at that point.

no?
    That would be the rock to call it quits on alright ! !