Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wristbands Campaign

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Wristbands Campaign

Does anybody know where you can get free campaign wristbands? I would be grateful if anybody can post sites!!
    Children in the dark cause accidents.
    Accidents in the dark cause children.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo
    Does anybody know where you can get free campaign wristbands? I would be grateful if anybody can post sites!!
    What ones are you looking for because there are a few different campaigns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Im looking for a mate of mine, any colour will do think the main one he wants in blue(anti bulling).
    Children in the dark cause accidents.
    Accidents in the dark cause children.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Im looking for a mate of mine, any colour will do think the main one he wants in blue(anti bulling).
    Havent really seen any of them around myself.... Sorry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Good to see such strongly-held convictions finding their expression in wristbands. "Sure - I'm a passionate advocate of whatever colour I can get me hands on. Errr - what is it I believe in today again...?"

Definitely one of the most tragic things I've ever heard. Your friend needs shooting - not a wristband......

Tell him you've bought him a see-through skin-coloured one, that it's part of the "stop the spread of sad fashion-victim tw@ts" campaign, and charge him a fiver for it as you mime putting it onto his wrist for him.

Don't forget to remark how well it goes with his eyes now.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tsunami appeal Blue band There is a blue band for bullying on the BBC website.

The Lance Armstrong yellow band for cancer.

BTW, agree with Derry City Steve, they're not supposed fashion items, as appears to be the case with your mate.
    Last edited by town73; 05/03/2005 at 11:07 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I had a big argument in the pub last night about this. Basically my sister collects them. She likes wearing them, the attention they get etc.

Who cares if it's not what they were brought out for in the first place? It's like a hobby that's raising money for charity at the same time.

My only concern with them is how much money is actually going to the charity named on them. With the Livestrong ones, nike very publically made them for free, so all the $1 they cost went straight to the LAF charity. Some of the latest ones (like the tsunami ones above for example, don't specify which company makes them, so it's safe to assume not all of the cost goes to charity.

One side note, the money going to the LAF goes into cancer research. But the kick racism out of football ones, where exactly does the money go??? As far as I see, nike make all the training tops twith the anti-racism logo on it for free. Is the money just going straight to nike, and the whole idea just to create awareness rather than raise money?
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shedite
    She likes wearing them, the attention they get etc.
    Rough translation: Vain fashion victim with no imagination. Harsh but true.

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 05/03/2005 at 3:22 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    The idea that anyone wears these bands simply as a fashion item, reflects the general mind of a hell people in the world today who seemed concerned only with themself and their own little world.

Just like the tsunami appeal millions of people donated money etc(nothing wrong with this) but other just as Important charitys were neglected. One report I heard said nearly a 60% in certain charitys Ethopia famine apeal etc.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Who cares? They serve two purposes

1) They raise money for charity
    2) They are a fashion accessory

If you have €1, how likely are you to give it to charity rather than buy something you want? Honestly! These charity things have been going forever (daffodil day, buy a badge, buy a pen etc). Why do people have such a problem now that the thing we're buying actually gets used?

Basically bands are raising money that would probably not have gone to charity otherwise. That's a good thing!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Can someone explain this wristband thing? Whats it all about?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Can someone explain this wristband thing? Whats it all about?

The idea of wearing a certain colour band of plastic around the wrist to promote a charity. Good idea in theory and principle, but sadly one that has been hijacked by the witless masses. See www.wearyellow.com for the original, but you can get some ridiculous ones at the moment.

I am 2nd Gen, living in London, and the other day i was in Business Studies and this kid shouts out 'does anyone want a "KISS ME: I'M IRISH!" wristband?'. I nearly vomited. Promptly, half of the class, all English, ordered about 9. Fools-anyone with any self-respect could not wear one that wasn't for charity. I am still half-laughing, half-cringing at this. Shocking.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I first noticed the wristbands over the Christmas as I watched Premiership football on the box. I saw the likes of Robbie Keane (yellow wristband) and Stevie Gerrard (blue) wearing them. I didnt know they were for charity but I knew I wanted one. I contacted my good friend, Dillo. He agreed that we needed to get our hands on the wristbands as soon as possible. Finally after a lot of effort, Don Vito ordered 10 yellow wristbands (my favourite) on the internet last week. The money goes to charity which is kind of cool coz it makes me feel less guilty about spending money that could easily be spent on drink. I cant wait for my wristband to arrive. I'm gonna try and get one of the red ones too as I saw Brian O'Driscoll with one on him against England. Does anyone know where I can get a red one?
    I would encourage people to buy a wristband as they help you pull on nights out and the money goes to charity.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Does anyone know where I can get a red one?
    I would encourage people to buy a wristband as they help you pull on nights out and the money goes to charity.
    Agreed, but don't wear about 10 at one time-looks stupid.

PM, you can get the Childline 'LISTEN' bands at various department store outlets. My buddy descrobed them as 'womens shops' so if you look around Dublin, you're bound to find one somewhere. FAO Corkonians-Mahon Point definately have the red ones.

Agree again, PM, yellow ones-the original and best.
    FAO-a few posts up-Blue ones are no longer available. They were a part of a BBC anti-bullying campaign, and were free of charge. They were meant to raise awareness. I heard of them via my school and Radio One. You could try e-bay if you're really after one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jofyisgod
    My buddy descrobed them as 'womens shops'
    Wouldn't they be brothels?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    they help you pull on nights out
    I can vouch for this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I can vouch for this
    Maybe in the Blue Oyster Bar......

If dangling a piece of plastic round your wrist is having a noticeable impact on your chances of pulling, I suggest you kids should focus a little time and effort on developing new chat-up lines....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    A wristband with a chat up line on it.........

It will be like love hearts for the new millenium

I'll make a fortune
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I had a big argument in the pub last night about this. Basically my sister collects them. She likes wearing them, the attention they get etc.

Who cares if it's not what they were brought out for in the first place? It's like a hobby that's raising money for charity at the same time.

My only concern with them is how much money is actually going to the charity named on them. With the Livestrong ones, nike very publically made them for free, so all the $1 they cost went straight to the LAF charity. Some of the latest ones (like the tsunami ones above for example, don't specify which company makes them, so it's safe to assume not all of the cost goes to charity.

One side note, the money going to the LAF goes into cancer research. But the kick racism out of football ones, where exactly does the money go??? As far as I see, nike make all the training tops twith the anti-racism logo on it for free. Is the money just going straight to nike, and the whole idea just to create awareness rather than raise money?
    If the people wearing these wristbands were open about the fact they're just wearing them because it's cool/trendy and they saw someone famous on TV wearing one, then no-one woiuld care. The fact is, the vast majority of them attempt to proclaim some degree of moral justification for it. If they were really that concerned about bullying/anti-rascism/cancer/the Australian wide-mouthed frog/insert any other random campaign, then they'd have found a way of expressing it prior to the 'genius' idea of a coloured strip of plastic. For example, anti-rascism T-Shirts have been around for years - including some quite cool/witty ones - but I haven't seen a fecker wearing them.

The vast majority of the loons with the wristbands care not one-jot about the campaigns they're supposedly supporting. They didn't before the creation of little plastic wristbands, and once the masses move onto Tazo's, football stickers or coloured-laces they'll drop these 'heart-felt' issues like a hot potato. If they admitted this is the case, then they wouldn't get any stick. But they don't - and in fact they argue the opposite. Hence its tragic.

The beauty of it is - in twenty years time they'll be watching reviews of the 2000's with their kids and smuggly claiming that they never wore one, but everyone else did. Painful.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    Wouldn't they be brothels?
    I think you mean woman shops.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast