Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Goals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Goals

Does anyone know where our goals will come from this season as Barry & Eric dont seem to be working I think Murphy should be up front for at least one friendily and then see what happens?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Thats a very good question. As JW said somewhere else, we seem to be doing ok all over the pitch except infront of goals, drawing blanks from the shels, cork and bohs matches. I still think that Murphs would be best playing behind the front 2 of eric and barry, as he is best when attacking the defenders.

Our other options are Goldbey, O'Dowd, Erics cousin Richard? (cant remember his name). Nothing great about that! Something tells me our defenders Frawley, Clery, Carter and O'Rielly will feature on the score sheets more than most of our strikers this year !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Murphs played up front on

friday night.I wouldnt be too worried about the lack of goals yet.These are friendly fixtures against teams who are a step above us at the moment but we are not far off them and deserved something out of the last 2 games.

Instead take a look at the positives Goughy is in the best form he has been our back four are solid and the competition for places will see some of our stars of the last few years having to fight for their places which is not a bad thing. Kieran Foley and Philip Reilly are an excellent combination in Midfield and Stevie Gavin had his best game so far on Friday Night.

The real test begins on the 10th March and as long as we start scoring then thats all that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair enough that we've been playing against quality opposition, but surely the next friendly against Sligo should prove a more accurate reflection of where the team is. Friendlies should be confidence boosters and they'll hardly get much of that if they go four games without a goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Last year we had a great pre season.We drew to Boez and Harps bet Drogheda.
    We then went and bet Monaghan on the opeining day.....after that we were second last for about 3 months.We won about 2 games after that for a long time.
    I wouldn't read too much into the pre season tbh.We've been doing alright in games and it's not the result that counts.
    Sligo will be of less quality than the other opposition but still if we don't get a result...so be it.
    March 10 to November 18 is what counts!
    Lets Roll!!
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I would say the friendlies are more for ironing out any problems that could occur in the league matches when starting, rather than get the confidence up. We have played quality opposition so far, and Lally must have taken some amount of notes and what not over those few games and reckonised strengths and weakness with his new players along with the current players now knowing that there starting positions aren't guaranteed this season.

Saying that, we have to score at least 1 goal against sligo now, and longford, to get the scoring feeling back into our forwards before the monaghan match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I haven't been to any of the games but pre-season has been good - we've had games against Cork & Shels who are now both already in competitive action. The games against Sligo & Longford will be more relevant but if we lose both 10-0 it's not going to make a difference to our season - playing teams of this quality is better than before when we were playing the likes of Colmanstown & Athenry.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"