Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Tournament 2018

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    England: good side now or flat track bully with good set pieces?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    England: good side now or flat track bully with good set pieces?
    It was a great result but the performance ? Not sure. First goal an unmarked centre-half for a corner. A couple of soft penalties. A deflected goal. Can't remember the other two. I thought Loftus Cheek was poor. But you can only beat what's put in front of you. Belgium game won't be wholly relevant either but they'll really get carried away if they win that. Glad England are still in it though. Adds to the interest.

My Swedish friend tells me that the bearded Swede who gave away the free kick is being vilified in some quarters in Sweden (he was a sub I think). I did feel for the Swedish fans until another friend of mine told me to forget that as they has their day in the Aviva. True but you have to empathise, particularly with the gorgeous blondes, one of whom was even crying when they were in the lead. Delighted also that Germany are still in the tournament. I prefer to see most of the better teams progress rather than the defensive ones.

As regards VAR, strange that the ref didn't refer the early penalty call for Sweden to VAR. One has the slight suspicion that if it was the other way round, there might have been a review.

Poland very disappointing. Rely too much on a tired looking Lewandowski ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That late South Korea goal could be crucial.
    Son Heung-Min playing the John Aldridge role , albeit Mexico still qualified anyway in 94.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    It was a great result but the performance ? Not sure. First goal an unmarked centre-half for a corner. A couple of soft penalties. A deflected goal. Can't remember the other two. I thought Loftus Cheek was poor. But you can only beat what's put in front of you. Belgium game won't be wholly relevant either but they'll really get carried away if they win that. Glad England are still in it though. Adds to the interest.

My Swedish friend tells me that the bearded Swede who gave away the free kick is being vilified in some quarters in Sweden (he was a sub I think). I did feel for the Swedish fans until another friend of mine told me to forget that as they has their day in the Aviva. True but you have to empathise, particularly with the gorgeous blondes, one of whom was even crying when they were in the lead. Delighted also that Germany are still in the tournament. I prefer to see most of the better teams progress rather than the defensive ones.

As regards VAR, strange that the ref didn't refer the early penalty call for Sweden to VAR. One has the slight suspicion that if it was the other way round, there might have been a review.

Poland very disappointing. Rely too much on a tired looking Lewandowski ?
    I read in the Guardian that Poland ditched the 4 at the back that served them well in qualifying. I couldn't believe how poor they were but as their coach said, maybe it was just because they were beaten by a much better side. I really liked the look of Colombia.

Apparently the Swedish guy had some anti-Islamic abuse thrown at him on social media alright, and the squad reacted with a strong message back.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Thought Colombia looked super last night, solid at the back and really threatening going forward. Japan lucky to get the great start they did against them. They made Poland look so limited (which maybe they are).

That group should be a fascinating final day also.

I'd fancy Colombia to beat Senegal and finish on 6, with Senegal staying on 4. So while a point for Japan sees them qualify, will they go for a win?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Son Heung-Min playing the John Aldridge role , albeit Mexico still qualified anyway in 94.
    One of the best Irish goals in the Charlton era as well.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Thought both sides looked very nervy in the first ten or so minutes last night, but then the Columbians settled and never looked back. Very impressive in the second half. Poland looked lethargic all night, and got increasingly wasteful as the night went on. Lewandowski very disappointing, some star players seem to be able to do a full club season and play OK in the WC - like Ronaldo, this time - but Lewandowski, like Messi, looks like he wants to be on a beach somewhere.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    It was a great result but the performance ? Not sure. First goal an unmarked centre-half for a corner. A couple of soft penalties. A deflected goal. Can't remember the other two.
    Bit harsh. Nothing soft about either penalty; both blatant. The referee explicitly warned the Panama defence at the corner which led to the second penalty, and two of them wrestled anyway.

The goals you're missing are a really innovative and well-worked set piece, and Lingard's 20 yarder.

Yes, Panama were rubbish, but England were 6-0 up by the time Belgium had their first against them. It was a decent performance.

And the caveat of course is that the World Cup isn't won against Panama

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Group A's final matches seem to just be a case of seeing if Uruguay have woken up enough to get first over a better than expected Russia, it's Group B that's more interesting today. You'd back Spain to beat Morocco, but do Iran have any chance of surprising Portugal? They'll have to put it up to them and play football from the off, as they did in parts of the Spanish game, but I think they may be capable of a shock, if they can keep Ronaldo quiet.

As for the other game, it says something about Egypt that the run-up to their last match has been dominated by talk of Salah quitting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bit harsh. Nothing soft about either penalty; both blatant. The referee explicitly warned the Panama defence at the corner which led to the second penalty, and two of them wrestled anyway.

The goals you're missing are a really innovative and well-worked set piece, and Lingard's 20 yarder.

Yes, Panama were rubbish, but England were 6-0 up by the time Belgium had their first against them. It was a decent performance.

And the caveat of course is that the World Cup isn't won against Panama
    What I meant by soft was they were noting sort of penalties - there wasn't a forward bearing down on goal i.e. they were just sort of nothing fouls a bit like a ball to hand penalty. They didn't have to play well to be 2 up: that's what I mean by performance as opposed to the result. Anyway, we shall see. Certainly helps their confidence after the Iceland debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Thought both sides looked very nervy in the first ten or so minutes last night.
    Commentators' euphemism for poor play
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 25/06/2018 at 3:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    They were daft alright; that's certainly fair enough.

Maybe the first one was dangerous enough though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Surprised Iran made it to the end with 11 men after the Portugal penalty set them off. They played well enough, might have done better if they'd kept their heads, and Portugal might rue that equaliser since they now play Uruguay.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Surprised Iran made it to the end with 11 men after the Portugal penalty set them off. They played well enough, might have done better if they'd kept their heads, and Portugal might rue that equaliser since they now play Uruguay.
    Uruguay looked good today . Russia looked a lot more beatable and had a Player sent off who I assume will be banned for the next game . A few got yellows but I do not know if any of these will be banned ,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Little stat - four more penalties today means we're up to 20 for the tournament, 2 more than the record number of penalties at a World Cup.

Not entirely sure what to make of that really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I also forgot that there was both a neighbourly and a post-colonial rivalry element to Spain/Morocco, which might explain how bad-tempered that game ended.

Also just saw that Saudi Arabia beat Egypt. The North Africans had a ghastly tournament.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I also forgot that there was both a neighbourly and a post-colonial rivalry element to Spain/Morocco, which might explain how bad-tempered that game ended..
    Most of the north African countries have a long-standing beef with the Spanish, French or British. Take your choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Another penalty in Nigeria v Argentina - but that looked very soft. Mascherano had arms around, but not restricting the player - naughty, but not that bad. The Nigerian fella threw himself to the ground I thought. Surely VAR should be resolving these issues?

Or am I wrong in thinking it was at best a very soft penalty? But part of the point of VAR was that everything would be clear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I agree it was very soft. It was a foul, sure, by the book, but by that definition there's a penalty at every set piece. He lack of consistency is a killer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Yep - but I think if you're going to throw yourself to the ground to prove it was a foul, then it can hardly have been an infringement worthy of a penalty.

Mascherano is an idiot for having his hands up obviously. But I don't think there was enough there in any event

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I think it's a foul, and the correct decision, even with the theatrics. But I suppose the counter argument is that without the theatrics, nothing would be given. The amount of penalties being given is a big indictment of how much players were getting away with up to know.

Panel made much of the Argentina manager celebrating on his own. Coach in name only?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast